Schaff' Church History - original Page numbers

uponthecircle

Recently purchased Schaff's Church Fathers and Church History -  and I mainly using the Ante-Nicene Fathers and for several research projects. Sadly as I have been corresponding with others -= I have realized that the Accordance version doesn't correspond to the actual page numbers in the original books or others referencing the those books.  I notice that in many of my other Accordance materials - I see actual page numbers that reflect the original source - Is there any way to fix this issue?

thank you. 

We have had these modules for a very long time, and I am sure that the etexts came with page numbers, presumably from a different edition than the one you have been consulting. Although we do now add page numbers for important reference works, these are massive works, 27 volumes in all, I believe. I doubt very much that we will go back and revise or check the page numbers.

For reference, this is the information we offer on the source of our etext:

Church Fathers — The Ante-Nicene Fathers (CF-AN)

Edited by The Rev. Alexander Roberts, D.D. and James Donaldson, LL.D.
American reprint of the Edinburgh edition. Public domain.

The original electronic text is from the Christian Classics Ethereal Library:
http://www.ccel.org>.

Electronic text hypertexted, corrected, and prepared by OakTree Software, Inc.

Version 2.4

the Accordance version doesn't correspond to the actual page numbers in the original books or others referencing the those books. 

To my knowledge, page numbers are not included for this series in digital form on any Bible software platform.  

Recently purchased Schaff's Church Fathers and Church History -  and I mainly using the Ante-Nicene Fathers and for several research projects. Sadly as I have been corresponding with others -= I have realized that the Accordance version doesn't correspond to the actual page numbers in the original books or others referencing the those books.  I notice that in many of my other Accordance materials - I see actual page numbers that reflect the original source - Is there any way to fix this issue?

thank you. 

To echo Helen, we likely will not add pages due to the size of the resource and varying editions from which our text could be derived from.

That said, if you are primarily citing selections of the writings in this edition, it is more appropriate to cite them by the author, work, reference, e.g. Tertullian, On Idolatry, 1 (or some variation thereof). This allows those reading your research to find the reference regardless of what edition is being used. 

Agreed that page numbers are not a good way to cite ancient sources. Rick’s example is the same idea that the Chicago, SBL, and I assume other style guides recommend.

Imagine trying to have a conversation with someone about how their faith was shaped by the English Standard Version, p. 242.

• Like 1

...I have been corresponding with others....

I think uponthecircle is interested in page numbers for this reason, not because (s)he is citing them as a source.

Edit.. rather than page numbers do volume, chapter, section, paragraph, etc. work? That method seems to be more conventional anyways.

Edited by jarcher