#1 uponthecircle

uponthecircle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Recently purchased Schaff's Church Fathers and Church History -  and I mainly using the Ante-Nicene Fathers and for several research projects. Sadly as I have been corresponding with others -= I have realized that the Accordance version doesn't correspond to the actual page numbers in the original books or others referencing the those books.  I notice that in many of my other Accordance materials - I see actual page numbers that reflect the original source - Is there any way to fix this issue?

thank you. 

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,115 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

We have had these modules for a very long time, and I am sure that the etexts came with page numbers, presumably from a different edition than the one you have been consulting. Although we do now add page numbers for important reference works, these are massive works, 27 volumes in all, I believe. I doubt very much that we will go back and revise or check the page numbers.

For reference, this is the information we offer on the source of our etext:

Church Fathers — The Ante-Nicene Fathers (CF-AN)

Edited by The Rev. Alexander Roberts, D.D. and James Donaldson, LL.D.
American reprint of the Edinburgh edition. Public domain.

The original electronic text is from the Christian Classics Ethereal Library:
<http://www.ccel.org>.

Electronic text hypertexted, corrected, and prepared by OakTree Software, Inc.

Version 2.4

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,428 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

the Accordance version doesn't correspond to the actual page numbers in the original books or others referencing the those books. 

To my knowledge, page numbers are not included for this series in digital form on any Bible software platform.  

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS High Sierra

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

+ Parallels install of Windows 10 Pro on the above MacBook Pro

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB internal, Android OS 7.0

2017 Blu Grand M - 8 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Android OS 6.0

#4 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,574 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Recently purchased Schaff's Church Fathers and Church History -  and I mainly using the Ante-Nicene Fathers and for several research projects. Sadly as I have been corresponding with others -= I have realized that the Accordance version doesn't correspond to the actual page numbers in the original books or others referencing the those books.  I notice that in many of my other Accordance materials - I see actual page numbers that reflect the original source - Is there any way to fix this issue?

thank you. 

To echo Helen, we likely will not add pages due to the size of the resource and varying editions from which our text could be derived from.

That said, if you are primarily citing selections of the writings in this edition, it is more appropriate to cite them by the author, work, reference, e.g. Tertullian, On Idolatry, 1 (or some variation thereof). This allows those reading your research to find the reference regardless of what edition is being used. 

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development

#5 gbjohnston

gbjohnston

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Agreed that page numbers are not a good way to cite ancient sources. Rick’s example is the same idea that the Chicago, SBL, and I assume other style guides recommend.

Imagine trying to have a conversation with someone about how their faith was shaped by the English Standard Version, p. 242.
  • Mark Allison likes this

#6 jarcher

jarcher

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

...I have been corresponding with others....

I think uponthecircle is interested in page numbers for this reason, not because (s)he is citing them as a source.

Edit.. rather than page numbers do volume, chapter, section, paragraph, etc. work? That method seems to be more conventional anyways.

Edited by jarcher, 19 January 2018 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users