Using Accordance with "All Roads Lead to the Text"

Carol K

Dean Deppe's book "All Roads Lead to the Text" is assigned reading in my Greek class. It gives examples on how to analyze the text using Logos. Is there a resource translating the Logos steps he gives into Accordance steps? Some of the analysis is straightforward, but the first one, doing a Pericope Analysis across versions  (p. 2) has me stumped. Is there such a feature in Accordance?

Hi Carol, I am not familiar with Logos, but if you could show us, or indicate somehow what the results are that you are looking for, we’d love to have a go at helping!

The first one that stumped me is a tool for comparing pericopes. (p.2)  In Logos 4 (the book is copyright 2011), it is under Tools -> Passage Analysis -> Compare Pericopes. With it you can "choose which Bible versions you want to compare and easily visualize the pericope delimitation of the various translations." 

Though Logos, you can get a module of "Lexham Clausal Outlines of the Greek New Testament." Is there a similar module available through Accordance? It seems to structure the Greek text in a way that highlights the relationship of clauses. 

The book speaks of doing a Lemma search (p.43). Is that the same as a lexeme search in Accordance? According to Dr. Google, "Lemma" does not seem to be exactly the same thing as "lexeme," but I think the end result is the same in each program.  

That's as far as I've gotten in the book. I've been able to explore some new-to-me features in Accordance thanks to this book.

Edited by Carol K

I have Deppe's book, and he does use Logos consistently throughout.

• As to your first question re: pericopes > This is basically the same as using the paragraph with spaces view in Accordance. (CTRL-T or COMMAND-T and then Show as: Paragraphs with space
  • As for the Lexham Clausal Outlines, Accordance doesn't have an exact match. A similar tool, however, is the GNT-28 Syntax of the Greek NT (It's an extra module purchase in Accordance) You may want to look at my blog post linking to a display of various treebanks HERE.
  • Yes, Lemma in Logos (and BibleWorks) = Lexeme in Accordance. (And yes, lemma and lexeme are not really the same but for practical purposes searching Bible texts, they are. The more important distinction is between inflected form, lexeme, and root.)