Font question

Jimborewski

I was pasting a Hebrew word into an MS Word document, something I've had no trouble doing before. However, this time one of the vowel pointings changed as I pasted it. So I brought up my handy dandy keyboard layout to change the vowel back to what it should be. However, following the handy dandy keyboard layout did not work... it gave me the same incorrect vowel. I tested others and it seems that any of the particular pointings, accents, etc. that come by using shift-option give me something different. Any ideas what's causing this? 

I'm running the most up to date version of Accordance on a brand new MacBook Pro up to date on everything.

We would need to know your export settings in Accordance, and the font that Word is using. Screenshots would also help us make a diagnosis.

• Like 1

Here's a screen shot of my MS Word document, though the same thing does happen in Pages. Just ignore the auto spelling lines.post-29773-0-19941300-1517332480_thumb.png

To make sure I'm understanding, the characters all appear correct in Accordance, but then get mishandled when you copy them and paste them into Word?  So the pasted text appears changed from when you copied it?

You are using the Yehudit font and I think you are trying to use the Hebrew Unicode keyboard. To type correctly in Word you should use a Unicode font such as Accordance or Times New Roman, or many many others. Then you can use the Hebrew keyboard and type from right to left.

• Like 1

Okay.... interesting..... I don't have a problem with any of the other letters or using shift or option.... it's only with shift-option. Why only that one?

Update of sorts.... it's clearly been a while since I needed any Hebrew in an MS Word document. As an experiment, I tried the same thing on a 5 year old iMac using MS Word 2011 for Mac, but fully updated version of Accordance. Same problem. 

Then I went to my museum piece, a 2006 MacBook.... the original, which has Accordance 8 on it and MS Word 2006 for Mac. Guess what? It worked fine there. Of course, those are .doc and not .docx so that might possibly be the difference. So somewhere along the way the shift-option choices from the keyboard in Yehudit on MS Word seems to have "broken." I'd be inclined to think it's a Microsoft problem, but it happens in Pages too, so I'm not sure that's it. Maybe it's the font itself as it interact with the newer platforms. As I said above, if I do shift D for the qamets, it gives it to me in the correct placement.... same with option D, but not shift-option D.... I don't even get a qamets. Same thing with the other keys/pointings.

Unicode exporting does work, but.... it's unicode and I'm pretty ignorant on how to get the Hebrew typed out in it. Pasting is fine, I guess. 

Oh well. 

To type in Hebrew Unicode you need to select and add a Hebrew keyboard. You can do this and more in Preferences: Keyboard.

• Like 1