#1 SpiritandFire44

SpiritandFire44

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

I had an interesting encounter recently comparing someone who was using a paper Bible as opposed to a Bible app like accordance.  He said to me that he could find the passage faster on his paper Bible than on an app.  As I thought about it, I realized he might be right.  There is ONE way to make this an untrue statement, using Siri or Google Assistant (depending on your platform) to speak a passage and have it instantly appear on the app.

At first, this could be done from within the app through a voice command, but the ultimate step would be to be able to summon the passage, either by citing the chapter and verse out by quoting an important part of the verse like one would do on Google when the passage is not immediately recalled.  Eventually, searches could be done via voice command.

There is already a Bible app that does part of this for the iWatch called ESV.  But it lacks Siri integration which would give you very fast abilities to find passages in the Bible.

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,685 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

This is already possible in Accordance Mobile for iOS through a Spotlight search. If you want to speak the reference rather than type it, simply click on the microphone in the search field. In this video, you can't hear me speak it, but I said, "Exodus 3 colon 15," and I tapped the hit in Accordance. 

• Timothy Jenney likes this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#3 SpiritandFire44

SpiritandFire44

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Fascinating you are right about spotlight but although it shows up in the search results for Accordance when I click on the passage it takes me to Exodus 32:14 even though it understood the passage correctly.  Any ideas?

#4 SpiritandFire44

SpiritandFire44

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

It works with a web search in Bible Hub and it works with You Version Bible, but for some reason I cannot get Accordance to go there no matter what version I use.  Thanks!

Ok forgive me now it is working.  Thanks so much for your kindness!!

#5 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,685 posts
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

If you're not getting the right verse in Accordance, go Settings: Accordance and flip the switch for "Reset Spotlight Indexes."

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

#6 SpiritandFire44

SpiritandFire44

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Now what I notice is that Accordance does not do word searches.  You Version does and Bible Hub.  Any ideas there?  Thanks again!

Now what I notice is that Accordance does not do word searches.  You Version does and Bible Hub.  Any ideas there?  Thanks again!

#7 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Do you mean in Spotlight or in general in the app itself? 

Accordance Mobile definitely does word searches in the app. See the appropriate Help pages for details. 

If you're referring to word searches via Spotlight, searches for topics will work, such as "love" or "Moses."

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

#8 SpiritandFire44

SpiritandFire44

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

I was referring to spotlight. I did a search for Moses and it correctly tagged with the person tag but stated it found zero instances. I have included the picture. I suppose it does not do phrase searches correct from spotlight?

Attached Files

#9 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Ignore the zero instances. That's normally when searching for specific words, not topics. A topical search will flag a verse regardless of whether the actual word is in it or not. 

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

#10 SpiritandFire44

SpiritandFire44

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Ok thanks for your tremendous help. I love this program!
  • R. Mansfield likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Siri, iWatch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users