Siri Integration for spoken searches in Accordance

SpiritandFire44

I had an interesting encounter recently comparing someone who was using a paper Bible as opposed to a Bible app like accordance.  He said to me that he could find the passage faster on his paper Bible than on an app.  As I thought about it, I realized he might be right.  There is ONE way to make this an untrue statement, using Siri or Google Assistant (depending on your platform) to speak a passage and have it instantly appear on the app.

At first, this could be done from within the app through a voice command, but the ultimate step would be to be able to summon the passage, either by citing the chapter and verse out by quoting an important part of the verse like one would do on Google when the passage is not immediately recalled.  Eventually, searches could be done via voice command.

There is already a Bible app that does part of this for the iWatch called ESV.  But it lacks Siri integration which would give you very fast abilities to find passages in the Bible.

This is already possible in Accordance Mobile for iOS through a Spotlight search. If you want to speak the reference rather than type it, simply click on the microphone in the search field. In this video, you can't hear me speak it, but I said, "Exodus 3 colon 15," and I tapped the hit in Accordance. 

• Like 1

Fascinating you are right about spotlight but although it shows up in the search results for Accordance when I click on the passage it takes me to Exodus 32:14 even though it understood the passage correctly.  Any ideas?

It works with a web search in Bible Hub and it works with You Version Bible, but for some reason I cannot get Accordance to go there no matter what version I use.  Thanks!

Ok forgive me now it is working.  Thanks so much for your kindness!!

If you're not getting the right verse in Accordance, go Settings: Accordance and flip the switch for "Reset Spotlight Indexes."

Now what I notice is that Accordance does not do word searches.  You Version does and Bible Hub.  Any ideas there?  Thanks again!

Now what I notice is that Accordance does not do word searches.  You Version does and Bible Hub.  Any ideas there?  Thanks again!

Do you mean in Spotlight or in general in the app itself? 

Accordance Mobile definitely does word searches in the app. See the appropriate Help pages for details. 

If you're referring to word searches via Spotlight, searches for topics will work, such as "love" or "Moses."

I was referring to spotlight. I did a search for Moses and it correctly tagged with the person tag but stated it found zero instances. I have included the picture. I suppose it does not do phrase searches correct from spotlight?

post-34773-0-90543800-1517444436_thumb.png

Ignore the zero instances. That's normally when searching for specific words, not topics. A topical search will flag a verse regardless of whether the actual word is in it or not. 

Ok thanks for your tremendous help. I love this program!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

@john_2022It appears you are searching from Safari, not Spotlight. Spotlight is right swipe to this, which will say siri suggestions. however i could not get siri to pull up the verse in Accordance through Spotlight either, Through Safari text to speech it brough up a link to the other guys app.

337269471_594844392667231_2539863547547288290_n.jpg

There might be a way to setup a Siri Shortcut that can do this. @Joe Weaks, do you have some insight here?

I haven’t gotten into Siri Shortcuts, but theoretically, there might be a way to pull it off using it.

By default, Siri isn’t going to launch Accordance with what you’ve asked because Siri doesn’t know about Accordance yet. That’s where Siri shortcuts can come in since it tells Siri to take a command you want and instruct Siri what to specifically do with it.

I’ll have to see if there’s a way to integrate what you’re talking about with Swift into our current iOS app. I can add it to the feature request list. 

The issue is in our case, it’d likely take more than “minutes”, since I don’t know what it involves for the interaction between Swift coding and the current coding in our iOS app. Apple is likely assuming that iOS apps are moving to primarily Swift code, although that’s not the case with all apps.

In the case with Siri playing your music album, that’s because Siri and Apple Music are tightly integrated with each other as developed from the same company.

However, I still have a hunch some of what you’re asking is possible with a Siri Shortcut. That is a tool that Apple has given to the masses to allow some Siri interactions with third party apps (in addition to what you’ve shown). I’m waiting to see if someone can chime in here that can pull it off. I haven’t done much with Siri Shortcuts, although I played around with Mac’s Automator and AppleScript in the past.

Hello 

I know Siri can open and close Accordance. I tried it and it works. Say Siri open Accordance.

Could not get it to do anything else. Be careful AI may take over Accordance and the staff. Just joking!

No need to reinvent the wheel. I think this is what you are looking for. It's called Voice Control. It's not Siri.

Apple Voice Control works with Accordance. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Voice Control > Switch on Voice Control then a Microphone Icon will appear on the desktop. It is now active.

Speak open Accordance. Once open you can give voice commands by speaking item numbers or numbered grid under Overlay.

Switch on Show Hints and Play sound when command is recognized. It also has advanced custom features for Commands... and Vocabulary...

Give it a go and try it. It does work. It's a little awkward when you have to speak item numbers to make it work. It does look cluttered.

This works to control the Mac and your apps. I did not use this with the iPad or iPhone. Only on the M1 Mac mini. Siri can open or close Voice Control.

It also works with Air Pods. Hope this helps. 

As an extra bonus Im learning to play my MiniMoog Model D Synthesizer. This is a good song

Voice Control procedure is on the Apple Website at apple.com. 

Thanks 

Edited by rgallo

Hello

Looks like Siri and Voice Control works on my iPhone.

Download Accordance app. Say Open Siri > say Open Voice Control say Open Accordance.

You will then see item numbers. I like using the desktop set up. Its easier to see.

I was an Uber driver and voice command integration while driving is a must. It's safer and hands free. Less accidents.

I have seen CarPlay but never had a chance to try it. The Uber app is fantastic with Waze and Google Maps GPS

Maybe some Forum people can post something from their iPhones or iPads with Voice Control.

1 hour ago, rgallo said:

Hello

Looks like Siri and Voice Control works on my iPhone.

Download Accordance app. Say Open Siri > say Open Voice Control say Open Accordance.

You will then see item numbers. I like using the desktop set up. Its easier to see.

I was an Uber driver and voice command integration while driving is a must. It's safer and hands free. Less accidents.

I have seen CarPlay but never had a chance to try it. The Uber app is fantastic with Waze and Google Maps GPS

Maybe some Forum people can post something from their iPhones or iPads with Voice Control.

the original post was to be able to open Accordance to a verse quicker then you can look it up in the bible, not whether you could do it hands free. By the time you say open this, open that & then this again....you haven't saved any time, in fact you can type it faster.

2 hours ago, john_2022 said:

Typing it requires that you already have the app open, and you have selected whatever resource you want to search, then type search or references into a text box. Not to mention that on a tablet or phone you don't even have a real keyboard.

That is in no way faster than the example I gave in the first post. In my example I  had verses displayed in the time it would take you to just open the Accordance app manually.

But I don't want to rely on Siri doing an internet search for a Bible verse. I want it to use the Bible app I already have on my phone.

Regardless of the original post ... Siri is hands free ... thats the whole purpose of Siri.

My fault to both you & OP.  I read it wrong....i was thinking he was talking about having it opened first & do those steps afterwards.

Edited by jhntruevine

The Acc Team has not added Siri integration APIs, unfortunately. If they did, it would blow the socks of quick bible lookup.

Nor have they created a Shortcuts integration.

I lament both of these things.

Edited by Joe Weaks

@Joe Weaks Is there anyway to pull off a Shortcut, or does it take us adding a Shortcuts integration on our end? I’m trying to learn more about what is involved with Shortcuts. In the meantime, I’ll file a feedback request on Siri in general.

What you can do now is use a shortcut to build and open a URL. So with them following shortcut, I can say “Hey Siri, open the Bible.” It asks, “What’s the text?” Then I say, “John three colon sixteen”, and it opens my default Bible to that verse.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/eee08078024c42f592aa6c9651534c40

This is a pretty simple and dumb shortcut: it just appends whatever you say to accord://read/ and tries to open it. It doesn’t check whether what it thinks you said is a valid Scripture reference. But it does show you can do some things without real shortcuts integration.

Great to see something out there!

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

@Joe Weaks Is there anyway to pull off a Shortcut, or does it take us adding a Shortcuts integration on our end? I’m trying to learn more about what is involved with Shortcuts. In the meantime, I’ll file a feedback request on Siri in general.

The team needs to create a shortcut for the app for you to be able to build one directly. Best you can do without it is as jlm mentioned, sending a URL accord:, which is clunky.

Good to know. Thanks! I’ve added this, as well as additional Siri support, to my feature requests list.