Searching in Journals more effective

ThomTarzan

Hi!

I am working on my master thesis and use Accordance swiftly. I have a lot of journals but the amount is kind a doubled edged. When I use the search " Metaphor <and> *stone* " I get several hundreds hits and it is exhausting to go through it all!

The problem is that the same articles tends to show up many times just showing a sentence or a paragraph. It would have been super nice if there was a way to just show the titles, and maybe the abstract if there was one. 

Maybe Im not using the program intelligently. I dont know.

Cheers.

• Like 1

One option that may help is the tool's Show Text As option.  This is available on the gear menu in the top corner of the tool pane.  Try out the different options, but you may like 'Add Title's - only showing each paragraph with the title of the article its in.

That's good, but I'm afraid it's not currently customizable except for a few options in Preferences: Reading/Research.

That's fine. Now you know it's a feature requested!

Thank you for the service, you have an amaizing customer support and Accordance is getting better and better with every update. I really love it!

Maybe you use <within 5 words> instead of <and>. The titles are often short and within 5 words you have a good filter. And you can increase it to 6, 7, 8 ... words.

Yes, it would be nice if we can add as search filter like [Titles], [English Content], [bibliography] etc. to the Research. 

Greetings

Fabian

The problem is that the same articles tends to show up many times just showing a sentence or a paragraph. It would have been super nice if there was a way to just show the titles, and maybe the abstract if there was one. 

Yep, I have been requesting at least the ability to see titles in journal search results for a few years now. It is one of my bigger gripes with accordance—Am I the minority or majority of people who, when searching journal articles, are for the most part primarily interested in the title? For me, when I am searching, the title is probably the key piece of information I need in order to determine whether I want to click on that search result.

Imagine what google search results would be like without the page titles :D 

post-33292-0-42366800-1517799400_thumb.png

Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 1