Dictionary of Targumim, Talmud and Midrashic Literature by Marcus Jastrow

Thomas

I don't see that anyone has posted this one.

HALOT is a great tool, it lacks the lexical items found in the targums. Having Jastrow's volume in Accordance would be a great match for the targums that Accordance already sells. Hendrickson Publishers prints this currently.

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

FYI, Jastrow's Dictionary is currently available online at http://tabs-online.com/TABS/Jastrow/ (the Tyndale Archive of Biblical Studies).

But as amazing an accomplishment as Jastrow remains (not to mention BDB from that same era), Michael Sokoloff's dictionaries represent the state of the art in Aramaic lexicography, and would be much easier to produce electronic editions from (if they could be licensed). Some of his lexicography is currently accessible through the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon website (linked from entries returned from the CAL lemma search). He is even reportedly working on an English translation and revision of Brockelmann's Lexicon Syriacum.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I also would like to see Jastrow's dictionary available, simply because it provides the best published dictionary for mishnaic Hebrew. HALOT just doesn't cut it for those works.

FYI, Jastrow's Dictionary is currently available online at http://tabs-online.com/TABS/Jastrow/ (the Tyndale Archive of Biblical Studies).

But as amazing an accomplishment as Jastrow remains (not to mention BDB from that same era), Michael Sokoloff's dictionaries represent the state of the art in Aramaic lexicography, and would be much easier to produce electronic editions from (if they could be licensed). Some of his lexicography is currently accessible through the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon website (linked from entries returned from the CAL lemma search). He is even reportedly working on an English translation and revision of Brockelmann's Lexicon Syriacum.

Sokoloff's revision of Brockelmann is already out:

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 1

Jastrow would be great, but even the current web edition is just scans. In other words, there is no etext. It would be so labor intensive I can't imagine it'd be possible.

Jastrow would be great, but even the current web edition is just scans. In other words, there is no etext. It would be so labor intensive I can't imagine it'd be possible.

It seems that Jastrow is in the same category as Lampe and other tools that would certainly enhance one's library for lexicography, but are just hard to sanction off the time to digitize. Sokoloff's works would certainly make a nice addition to the Accordance packages.

ps. I did a test run of Lampe. After creating several scripts and text expander commands, I got down to 1 hour a page

Sokoloff's dictionaries would be awesome to have for Accordance! There really isn't a good Aramaic lexicon for Accordance. The "Onkelos Glossary" is certainly cool, but it only covers one Targum.

• 3 years later...

Bump. Logos is releasing etext for this dictionary

If or when they release this, it won't have any real bearing on us. We would still love to have this, but it still requires us to create the electronic text ourselves since it is out of print, which we are not ready to commit to yet.

I wouldn't look back at Jastrow at this point. Sokoloff's text is a much more viable pursuit.

A president at Logos explained to me they are able to accomplish these kinds of etext creations like Jastrow by outsourcing them to a work crew in another country (I think he said India), who do transcription work (without an understanding of the language, of course). I can't imagine the amount of errata correction that takes after the fact.

• 1 year later...

Jastrow's methodology of including Palestinian Aramaic and Babylonian Aramaic in one article is certainly problematic. Sokoloff's lexicographical method is more nuanced and fine tuned, and in this respect it over shadows Jastrow in many respects. With that said, however, the price that one can acquire Jastrow through Logos is a very small amount. Moreover, to the point of it's errata, I've proof read several random pages throughout the entire volume (in all twenty pages). I discovered two errors. This likely implies that the outsourced company has a refined OCR/Editorial practice, using at a minimum of two people creating separate scans and later file comparison potentially reduces the amount of errors.

This would be a welcome addition to Accordance, as well as any other Lexicon.

I clicked on this forum title so that I could mention this very fact.  Sokoloff would be much better than Jastrow as an Accordance module; for one, Jastrow treats the Aramaic of the Talmud, the targumim, etc. as if they are all the same, when there are actually dialectical differences, as Sokoloff has demonstrated.  

Thanks, Jay!

Also, thanks Dr. Holmstedt.  It is also good to know that Sokoloff has completed his translation/revision of Brockelmann . . .   ::Christmas list!::   :D

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post the amazing news for anyone who hasn’t seen it that Sefaria now has a fully digitized, searchable, PUBLIC DOMAIN version of Jastrow online: https://www.sefaria.org/Jastrow?lang=bi

Sefaria is a great resource all around. If you have not book asked it and spent some time exploring, do so now.

Edited by MattChristian
  • Like 1

+1 Sefaria (-> Jastrow)

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1