More Font Issues

Brett K.

I've already tried everything on the "Fixing Fonts" topic and nothing worked. However, I believe this is the same problem that is mentioned on that page.

Many fonts I try to use with Accordance Tools won't display bold or italic styling in the text. This doesn't just happen with fonts I've installed myself, it happens with fonts installed by OS X like Helvetica and Lucida Grande. If I turn off font smoothing in the Accordance prefs, bold and italic styles display normally in the text. When I turn smoothing back on, the styles go away again.

Like I said, I have tried everything that has been posted so far. Are there any other tips or insights to get these fonts working . . . or even a hint about why they aren't working correctly?

Thanks

--

Brett

Accordance 8.0.1

Mac OS X 10.5.3

MacBook Pro 15" 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

I think that if you look in FontBook you will see that these styles are not supplied with these font. Pre-Quartz programs (turning off font smoothing) interpolated the styles, but this is no longer supported in Quartz.

I think that if you look in FontBook you will see that these styles are not supplied with these font. Pre-Quartz programs (turning off font smoothing) interpolated the styles, but this is no longer supported in Quartz.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Apple must have some hidden APIs to handle interpolation in Quartz because you can apply italic and bold to Helvetica and Lucida Grande in TextEdit. Apple should make those publicly available since I imagine there are developers who would like to have access to those features.

Thanks

--

Brett

Helen,

I am confused about this. I have one of my favorite fonts Myriad Pro loaded on my computer. When I go to Font Book it appears as Myriad Pro and when I click the triangle next to it all of the styles, bold, italic, condensed, semibold etc., appear. Since all of the styles are supplied with the font, why won't Accordance display italics correctly? Am I missing something? Italics does appear when I turn off font smoothing in Accordance, but then everything is so unreadable it is unbearable.

By the way I do love the new version 8.

William

Archived