When a book is not available in Accordance? A bit off-topic …

Julia Falling

@Rick with that scanner do you pretty much have to disassemble the book ?

Yes, the book is generally destroyed. Usually, I just take the books down to Kinkos and let them cut off the spine.

I’ve been in the process of weeding down my physical library for years. I have three categories: 1. Keep (expensive editions, sentimental value, etc.), 2. sell/giveaway (for books I have duplicated electronically or just no longer want), and scan (books I’d like to keep, do not have duplicated electronically, but see no reason to keep a physical copy around).

• Like 2

Guess I'll stick with the iPad for reading PDFs.

Hi,

If anyone is interested in pdfs on Kindle, I used Calibre to convert a html file of a Hebrew NT into mobi format. I was able to change fonts, so the text is reflowable. But, the text is backwards. The good news is that any ltr language will work. So I'm looking forward to converting some of those pdfs. Anything you ocr will also work, although no ocr program recognizes all characters perfectly, so there will be reduced search functionality.

It only took me a few minutes to remake a pdf of my HNT, A6 paper size works well. And I get to read with my preferred font.

Regards,

Michel

I ordered a Paperwhite.  It's supposed to be here on Tuesday.  I'm looking forward to getting set up and trying it out.  I'm hoping for less eyestrain and less distraction.  We'll see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wonderful.  We just bought it.  Thanks!

Report back regarding Kindle Paperwhite:

I really like it for light reading.  I fully charged it the day I got it (March 13) and didn't have to charge again until 4/21.  Impressive.  I like the e-ink.  It's easy on the eyes.  And the Paperwhite is very lightweight.  Since it didn't cost an arm and a leg, no regrets.  It fits the niche for which I purchased it.

• Like 1

Yes, the book is generally destroyed.

Yikes. I have always preserved in its original condition all books I have scanned admittedly it has only done a couple dozen over the years.

-dan

Yikes. I have always preserved in its original condition all books I have scanned admittedly it has only done a couple dozen over the years.

My goal in scanning books is to reduce space. I have already made the decision that I don’t need a physical copy before I scan it. 

I am a true book lover and that seems like butchering a person when you just want a blood donation... but I do understand your thinking I just couldn't do that. But thats me i know...

-Dan

I felt very much the same way at one time, but I’ve grown weary of having so much stuff. And it weighs heavier since we will be moving this summer.

Books always make good gifts.

-Dan.

I have an Bible doctrine book I use a lot.   It's not available at all in electronic format.   If I would scan it in as a pdf like R. Mansfield has done am I able to import that then as a User Tool and have it in my toolset in the info pane?  That would be awesome. 

If you OCR it so that it is a text, and can export plain text or html, you can import it as a user tool. Currently we do not support the import of a PDF text, and certainly not a PDF image file.

• Like 1

I felt very much the same way at one time, but I’ve grown weary of having so much stuff. And it weighs heavier since we will be moving this summer.

But Rick if you are anything like me when it comes to books your attempts to slim the library down are counteracted by the fact that every book out seems to bring two or more in.

In our parts we say that books "breed like rabbits".

• Like 1

Yes, but this is also where giving preference to digital over physical becomes extremely beneficial. Digital, even if a scanned PDF of what was once a physical book, is much easier to move than a stack of physical books :-)

I will always have some physical books, but I want their number to be very low.

Most of my books seem to multiply by giveaways (i.e. ministry conference/event pressed into your hand a copy of some time on the subject many which are worthwhile reads).

I do very little purchasing of my own accord that are hard copy. It is only if I can't get it as a digital copy that I tend to go down that track.