MARCH

R. Mansfield

The sale title, graphic, and presentation are very well done in my opinion. Thank you, Accordance, for these offers and the quality of the announcement.

-Joseph

• Like 4

It is a great set of sale items...  Carta’s The Sacred Bridge  for me is the biggest jewel in this sale... But you have done a super job to offer in this 'map' madness sale a wonderful range of products.

-dan

I have a question on the Carta offerings.  How much, if any, overlap would one see on these items as far as content?

While the Carta handbook is a condensation of the sacred bridge. So I suspect heavy overlap there. But I am curious if the handbook offers anything new.

-dan

• Like 1

I do not think the New Century Handbook offers anything that is not in Sacred Bridge. The New Century Handbook removes the original languages and only has the translations of texts. In addition, Sacred Bridge has since been revised so a lot of the typos were corrected (and there were many) and some of the content is expanded and updated. Those corrections and new content will not be in the New Century Handbook. Here are two blog posts about them:

http://blog.bibleplaces.com/2007/08/sacred-abridgement.html

http://blog.bibleplaces.com/2014/06/the-sacred-bridge-second-emended-and.html

A.D.

• Like 1

I have a question on the Carta offerings.  How much, if any, overlap would one see on these items as far as content?

I would say in general:

(1) You get The Sacred Bridge if you want to read more. This atlas is much longer and is more text-heavy, with citations from original sources. Maps are full-color.

(2) You get The Carta Bible Atlas if you want to check a map quickly. This atlas provides a map for just about every biblical event as well as extra-biblical and inter-testamental events. The maps are duo-tone, not full-color.

(3) The New Century Handbook is an abridgment of the 1st edition of Sacred Bridge.

All three of the above make use of the same "pool" of scholars, namely Rainey and Notley.

The Bible History Atlas has a different author, F. F. Bruce, which I take to mean the text should be pretty solid. I have not used it before. Judging from the samples, the maps appear to be the least up-to-date of all the Carta offerings.

A.D.

Edited by A.D. Riddle
  • Like 1

While the Carta handbook is a condensation of the sacred bridge. So I suspect heavy overlap there. But I am curious if the handbook offers anything new.

-dan

Thank you.  I was not aware that the handbook was a condensation of Sacred Bridge.  This definitely helps me out with my purchasing decision.

I do not think the New Century Handbook offers anything that is not in Sacred Bridge. The New Century Handbook removes the original languages and only has the translations of texts. In addition, Sacred Bridge has since been revised so a lot of the typos were corrected (and there were many) and some of the content is expanded and updated. Those corrections and new content will not be in the New Century Handbook. Here are two blog posts about them:

http://blog.bibleplaces.com/2007/08/sacred-abridgement.html

http://blog.bibleplaces.com/2014/06/the-sacred-bridge-second-emended-and.html

A.D.

Thank you for this.  I would definitely want to have any original language material that might be offered.  It looks like Sacred Bridge is the one of these two that I'd be looking to obtain.  I do certainly appreciate your helpfullness and kindness in giving me an answer to my question.

I would say in general:

(1) You get The Sacred Bridge if you want to read more. This atlas is much longer and is more text-heavy, with citations from original sources. Maps are full-color.

(2) You get The Carta Bible Atlas if you want to check a map quickly. This atlas provides a map for just about every biblical event as well as extra-biblical and inter-testamental events. The maps are duo-tone, not full-color.

(3) The New Century Handbook is an abridgment of the 1st edition of Sacred Bridge.

All three of the above make use of the same "pool" of scholars, namely Rainey and Notley.

The Bible History Atlas has a different author, F. F. Bruce, which I take to mean the text should be pretty solid. I have not used it before. Judging from the samples, the maps appear to be the least up-to-date of all the Carta offerings.

A.D.

Thank you once again.  I do appreciate you laying it all out so that it is easy to see what is going on with the various publications.  You have helped me immensely and I am very grateful.

Last chance to save on select titles and graphics Collections in the Accordance MARCH MAPNESS SALE. Discounts end at midnight EDT tonight!