Syntax Search (No article + participle)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

Don't forget that a search can combine criteria in the Search Entry box with a construct search. Consider the following, for instance:

*@ -[ARTICLE] <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> [LINK Greek Construct]

This really is fun, isn't it? :) 

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#22 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

The next podcast will cover some aspects of detailed Greek constructs, specifically using Walace's general characteristics for four classes of conditional sentences.

I'll be interested to see this. I have an intermittent project doing Wallace's grammar stuff in the syntax module, which I haven't updated in a while. I haven't got to conditionals.

Thx

D

• jarcher and Timothy Jenney like this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#23 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Thanks!

I've been wondering if someone should put together a set of Constructs for Greek grammar searches. My only hesitation in recommending this is that the real benefit is learning to put them together for oneself.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13

#24 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

I actually published mine on github a while back - could do a version for the exchange if there was interest. It has a user tool explaining what was done and what issues, pitfalls and so on had to be dealt with, what bugs existed in a version that obstructed better results, what limitations I found in trying to render some of Wallace's categories into pure syntax searches - many, say in the genitive case, rely heavily on lexical or contextual features rather than pure syntax. As a result some categories are not easily handled in this way. Weeding out of false positives and so on have to be handled too. So I've looked over the cases chapters basically, but have yet to get to much else. 

You are right that doing it yourself teaches you a ton, but there is a bunch of trial and error and people benefit from a leg up, and pointers I think.

Thx

D

• Timothy Jenney likes this

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

12GB RAM

#25 Solly

Solly

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Far too many for my own good! ;-)
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:17 AM

I can envision a project that treats this topic as a laboratory project. In my time in education, complete courses were developed for complex software systems that permitted the student to gain competence with the package by working through a series of experiments that would use the different aspects of the software to solve increasingly complex problems. The key is not to just learn mechanical steps, but to understand the design and methods of computation so that the student could comfortably attack problems that require system components investigated by the current exercises and earlier. It is a slow and spiral approach, because it demands constant application of previously learned skills to new settings, but it does build deep understanding and confidence using the software package. The key is in the tightly constructed exercises that don't reveal the results ahead of time, but allow the student to construct their own understandings, and then throw in exercises that don't give the expected results, which will require a reconstruction of understanding. Cognitive dissonance may be uncomfortable, but it does lead to deeper learning.  As my organic chemistry lab professor emphasized, "you will remember and learn more in here by the mistakes you make than by your successes." For those interested, check Wikipedia on constructivist teaching, https://en.wikipedia...eaching_methods and a synopsis of the learning cycle in science instruction, https://www.narst.or...earch/cycle.cfm.

• Timothy Jenney likes this

Joseph F Sollenberger, Jr

#26 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Yes!!!

I actually produced this episode based on a viewer's suggestion. It was a challenge, as it's been a while since I studied Greek grammar. I found it an effective review—far more so than just reading Wallace. And, you are correct, the mistakes I made along the way taught me as much as the final product.

It's that sort of concept I despair of communicating effectively to our users. Many are too busy to take time to "play" with the searches, analyze the results, then devise new searches that are closer to their objectives. Some of them just want plug-and-play results.

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 29 March 2018 - 10:51 AM.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#27 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:24 PM

Yes!!!

Ken posted my workspaces and User Tool on Wallace's grammar - thanx Ken. I hadn't look at it in a while and found it really only treats Nom, Voc cases. But there are many notes about what I had to do and a lot of variant searches. I made really only one comment on the genitive. I've begun having another shot at that now. It takes a while. Anyhow, so long as I can fit it in I'll slowly produce updates. But what's there now may be helpful.

27 Apr 2018 : Pushed a new update to github with the treatment of the genitive completed. Well as complete as I'll do for now. If you are happy to grab from there it's in my repo https://github.com/4...are-modules.gitunder the Accordance/Syntax/WallaceInSyntax.

Thx
D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 27 April 2018 - 08:37 AM.

12GB RAM

#28 Harold Hosch

Harold Hosch

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Psalms studies especially
    Discourse analysis
    Linguistics

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

I am working on a commentary for Exodus—been at it off and on—but now hope to finish it. In working with Exodus 12:40–41. I notice that the second clause is marked as "unknown syntax" in the Syntax Module. It looks to me as if verse 41 is a parallelism with the two weyahi clauses in parallel relationship, and the third line completing the two previous clauses. In this case the second clause would be the emphatic clause: clause 1: based on verse 40 focusing on the 340 years of verse 40; clause 2: highlighting "this very day" as the Passover day (the key event in this context); clause 3: the hosts of Israel exiting Egypt on the Passover Day. It would seem then that the parallelism would identify the second clause as the main clause, and clause 1 as a supporting clause, thus secondary to clause 2. (I wrote an article in "Hebrews Studies" XXIV 1983 entitled "Exodus 12:41 A Translational Problem," but there I treated the possible problem differently than I do today.

#29 Robert Holmstedt

Robert Holmstedt

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:51 AM

Harold, let's move this to a new thread here.

Professor, Hebrew and Northwest Semitic Languages
Dept. of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
The University of Toronto
blog: ancienthebrewgrammar.wordpress.com
https://utoronto.aca...RobertHolmstedt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users