INFER Command

Pastor Ron

Hi,

I was attempting to follow David's tutorial about the new INFER command and I have crashed the program every time. I am able to follow all the steps up to the "search back" feature. When I click in the first text result and then hold and click "search back" from the drop down "search" menu two small windows begin to open and then everything closes and I get a "report to apple" dialog box. I can email the contents of the box if it would help anyone. SO... any ideas?

Ron

When I click in the first text result

What do you mean by first text result? Which verse and which tab?

Everything is working fine for me. Once I can duplicate the crash then I can pass it on to be corrected. Thanks

What do you mean by first text result? Which verse and which tab?

From the blog:

"The easiest way to do this is to click in the verse reference of Amos 1:2 to select it, then click and hold the Search button on the Resource palette to bring up the pop-up menu. The second item in the pop-up menu is a new "Search Back" command. Choose this, and Accordance will automatically set up an inference search to find where these phrases come from in the

base text."

Maybe I do this step wrong. I am clicking in the verse reference of Amos 1:2 and then I use the Search Back command and then I crash. Any way I could be missing something?

Ron

From the blog:

"The easiest way to do this is to click in the verse reference of Amos 1:2 to select it, then click and hold the Search button on the Resource palette to bring up the pop-up menu. The second item in the pop-up menu is a new "Search Back" command. Choose this, and Accordance will automatically set up an inference search to find where these phrases come from in the

base text."

Maybe I do this step wrong. I am clicking in the verse reference of Amos 1:2 and then I use the Search Back command and then I crash. Any way I could be missing something?

Ron

Ron, I was following the steps in the 'new in 8' video. I'll go back and try the example in the blog post. Based on what you're saying you are doing it correct. I'll verify and post any updates.

Thanks

Ron has also been writing to me about this bug, and finally he sent me a set of screenshots. Here is my edited reply to him:

A picture (or 6 of them) is worth a thousand words or more!

You have the field set to chapter in each window. This is a bad idea in general as it always slows the searching but only applies when doing AND or NOT searches and wanting them to cross Verse boundaries. I get 91 hits in 22 verses when I stick to the usual Verse field (60 in 19 verses in Chapter field). However, the search back still works for me from that same word that you show. It does not crash.

When I used independent windows as you did instead of a workspace I did repeat the crash, though only with the Chapter field.

This is an obscure bug and we will fix it for the next rev. In the meantime use the Verse field and/or keep your windows as tabs in a workspace.

Ron has also been writing to me about this bug, and finally he sent me a set of screenshots. Here is my edited reply to him:

Thanks Helen I am the same Ron either way you were a great help!

I am glad it was a help. I knew it was you with the same bug on the blog and the forum and writing to tech support! I posted my answer in each place so that others would also benefit from it.

Archived