Apparent changes to the Helena font

Immerser

I know I'm a little late in the game, but I recently upgraded to Accordance 12 (12.2.4). I teach Greek and N.T. Exegesis here in Brazil, and to make things smoother when cutting and pasting bits of text to my slides, I opted for using the Helena font in my Keynote presentation slides. Yesterday (March 9, 2018), for the first time since the upgrade, while typing a Greek word into a new slide, I noticed that the easy-to-use and -remember alt+1, alt+2, alt+3 no longer corresponding to the same accent/breath marks combinations of the previous version of Helena. Something as intuitive as alt+s for the final sigma had changed, too. While I don't necessarily understand the decision to change something that was so intuitive (maybe someone can explain this), I get that changes happen. The real problem is that since the Helena font kept the same name, and more importantly the same embedded font ID, and therefore the old can't coexist with the new.

Now it seems that because those keystrokes no longer correspond to the accents and/or letters in my slides, I have to choose between revising all the previous slides or reinstalling the old Helena font and getting really wonky results in all my Greek texts in Accordance.

Is there a workaround? Maybe Accordance could kindly release a retro Helena font with a different embedded font id, so that both can coexist peacefully on a Mac?

[Just to clarify, this is not the same issue as the installed font conflict I've seen in some other posts. I know the steps to open in safe mode, resolving those issues, etc. What I appear to be dealing with is that the newest Helena font (helena.otf) has different shortcut keys than the previous helena.ttf (and possibly helena.dfont; I'm not sure which is the oldest).]

Edited by Immerser

I can assure you that the keys have not changed in the new Helena. l suspect that you are using a different keyboard mapping. What is your choice for the International Keyboard?

Thank you for your prompt response, Helen.

I had the same thought about keyboard mapping. I have not, however, changed anything from when I used Helena.ttf. The keyboard I am using is U.S. (default Mac OS X U.S. font).
As a test, I uninstalled the new Helena (.otf) and reinstalled the old (.ttf), without any changes to my keyboard settings, my slides were restored but Greek texts in Accordance were affected. After reversing the process, the slides were affected but the Greek texts returned to normal.

Attached is a screenshot of a font map I made to track the shortcut keys for two different fonts (Helena e Graeca II) before I settled on using Helena. The keystrokes in "Helena key" column originally returned the same results as the description (as can be seen in the Graeca II column). After the upgrade to Accordance 12 and the Helena.otf font, the characters/accents in the red boxes changed automatically (meaning, I didn't type them in after the upgrade, the different results pull up on their own as the system reads from the new Helena).

Do you have any other suggestions?

http://patrickmcclure.com/english/wp-content/uploads/helena-key-map.png

I believe that our developers are looking into Helena issues for us.

Immerser, I've sent you a PM with information for how to recover a working font until we release the next rev that contains a fix.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, when is this fix likely to happen? How can I get final-form sigma in the meantime?