NIV Zondervan Study Bible sale (just notes or notes & Bible)

Rick Ausdahl

The Accordance web page that has this resource on sale at $13.99 has discrepancies in how the resource is titled/referenced.  The "picture" for it shows it's the full Study Bible and in some places that's how the text on the page references it.  But in other places, the text references the resources as just the notes--i.e. no Bible text included.

Can someone please clarify which it is?

Thanks.

Study Bibles in Accordance are nearly [1] always notes only with the bible text purchased as a seperate module. This allows you to use any number of translations with your study bible. $13.99 is a very good price for the NIV Study Bible and Accordance’s practice is consistent with other bible programs

[1] I say nearly because while I can’t think of one there is always the chance of one I have overlooked.

Orthodox Study Bible comes with text because it is a unique translation available only there. OT tends to offer complete text/note packagesthat drive you nuts. Why do I want 3 copies of x translation with no differences other than book cover. But even there you will find note only sets of study bible notes. In OT for example I have the tagged NIV installed but none of the other NIV bibles that are part of study bible notes I own there.

-Dan

I totally agree with Michael and dan but also add that if I open something like the jps translation which has the books in a different order to the niv, the study bible notes in Accordance (Eg niv or esv study bible) will still open in the order of the text you are looking at so can be used with whichever translation you are looking at or prefer, eg niv84 or niv11 phrased tagged gke.

Edited by ukfraser

Because over the years I have purchased numerous collections/packages/libraries in nearly all the different bible programs I tend to forget that you need to factor in an initial purchase of the translation in Accordance when considering the value for a study bible.

On the other hand if I purchase three different study bibles that use the ESV as there text why would I wa t to pay for three copies/licences of something I already own?

The NIV phrase tagging is an excellent example of what value Accordance adds to the translation but at $50 does make it one of the pricier translations. As it is the primary translation used in the context I work in it is a no brainer for me to purchase. I can see instances where some one looking at adding the NIV to there library might see the study notes offered on sale as a good way of purchasing the translation and be disappointed or seek clarification.

Dan: It has been sometime since I have made any OT purchases and so my library there has been quite stable for sometime. I tend not to download what are in essence duplicates for me and hide/archive things I don’t want to see. Just went and took a look and while I do have multiple copies of translations they tend to be only either a tagged version or no tagged (i.e. ESV and ESV strings even though I have multiple study bible based on the ESV). My main bug bear is that the Greek text I use is the Analytical Greek New Testament basically UBS4 but OT doesn’t display it as that.

However bringing this back to Accordance I do find that it’s approach to Study Bibles on the desktop means almost limitless comparisons are able to be made between the translations and study bibles you own. Just need more of this functionality to make its way to iOS and Android.

• Like 2

Same here I did notice I had 2 copies of the NIV and 2 NLT which I trimmed away. Ironically enough in OT. The NLT I kept was the study Bible version because the NLT regular version had no translation notes or cross referencing in it.

-dan

Problem is we have grown up with the idea of books which are rather inflexible. Software is much for flexible and allows us to remove the 'hardwired' link between texts and notes. In a software environment it is much more sensible provide that flexibility but can take a while for us to not automatically think in 'book' terms.

• Like 1

The reason I wanted to clarify what was included in the Accordance resource, is that the company of another Bible App I own offers all three purchasing options--i.e. the NIV Bible alone (no study notes), the NIV Study Bible Notes alone (no NIV Bible text), and the complete NIV Study Bible (Bible text AND Study Bible Notes).  In both instances where the NIV Bible text is included, it's fully tagged and is a reverse interlinear.  In that other software, I can get the complete NIV Study Bible (Bible text and Study Notes) for $27.99.

In Accordance, since I don't currently have the NIV Bible, getting the Study Notes and the Bible with just the G/K numbers (no tagging) would be $53.89, and getting the Study Notes and the fully tagged Bible would run me $63.89.

Rick, I guessed from your question you don’t have the niv.

the gk niv is tagged, just not phrase tagged (normal Tagged gk version is similar to the tagged esv you have with Accordance). The enhanced gives you Phrase Tagging so you can see multiple words used.

You could wait till the enhanced is on sale. (My phrase tagged version was on sale last year)

I think the important thing to decide if it is price that is a deciding factor for you or which software do you prefer or how important it is to have a copy of the niv text. The bible study will work with the esv that comes with Accordance and whatever translations you have in the mean time. But hopefully you have enough information to help make your descision.

Edited by ukfraser

Rick, I guessed from your question you don’t have the niv.

the gk niv is tagged, just not phrase tagged (normal Tagged gk version is similar to the tagged esv you have with Accordance). The enhanced gives you Phrase Tagging so you can see multiple words used.

You could wait till the enhanced is on sale. (My phrase tagged version was on sale last year)

I think the important thing to decide if it is price that is a deciding factor for you or which software do you prefer or how important it is to have a copy of the niv text. The bible study will work with the esv that comes with Accordance and whatever translations you have in the mean time. But hopefully you have enough information to help make your descision.

Thank you for your thoughts, ukfraser.  Each of the two software apps have their advantages, but cost is always a consideration.  I had considered the possibility of using the ESV text along with the NIV Study Notes, but I'm not sure how natural it would feel going back and forth between the two resources on all the verse by verse material, since the ESV text will be worded differently than the verse text in the NIV Study Notes.

I have a few days to think about it and I have both the NIV and ESV texts in the other software, so maybe I'll do a little side-by-side comparison of the two translations in both the old and new testaments to get a better idea of how it would be if using the ESV text and the NIV Study Notes.

but I'm not sure how natural it would feel going back and forth between the two resources on all the verse by verse material, since the ESV text will be worded differently than the verse text in the NIV Study Notes..

I tend to only use nrsv text and flick between study bible notes (jps, niv, esv and annotated Jewish nt).

Rarely use niv text these days as phrase tagged doesn’t work on ios but used to use niv with all the study bibles at previous church. It so depends what translation the church i go to use. But haven’t really noticed problems as study notes are good and relevant to the passage rather the translation.

Edited by ukfraser

Rick, there will be specific phrasing differences with non-NIV texts, but most of the NIV ZSB notes deal with the concepts of the text rather than the specific issues with word smithing the English translation. I just went through a variety of notes in Jeremiah 35 and found that the ZSB notes made sense with a range of text choices, even when specific words did not match among the texts and ZSB notes. It could be a bit dissonant, but I found it manageable.

Try a commentary or study Bible in your collection and read a variety of texts in parallel to it and see how much of a problem non-matching phrasing presents in using such combinations. You may be able to conclude how much dissonance between text and notes will be comfortable for you.

Shalom,

Joseph

A Study Bible in my mind is actually a mashup of introductions, cross-references, commentary, dictionary, atlas and concordance. Most of the time these don't have to be used with reference to a particular translation to be understandable.

My suggestion is similar to Frasers: if you are thinking of investing in Accordance then the current sale of the NIV Study Bible by Zondervan is a good buy. If you want the NIV G/K with phrase tagging then maybe hold off until it is again on sale.

For more info on the enhancements made by Accordance to this module check out the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STQbHbU58WY

And in the meantime, you could just do this :-)

post-33308-0-97978500-1520815005_thumb.png

• Like 1

The reason I wanted to clarify what was included in the Accordance resource, is that the company of another Bible App I own offers all three purchasing options--i.e. the NIV Bible alone (no study notes), the NIV Study Bible Notes alone (no NIV Bible text), and the complete NIV Study Bible (Bible text AND Study Bible Notes).  In both instances where the NIV Bible text is included, it's fully tagged and is a reverse interlinear.  In that other software, I can get the complete NIV Study Bible (Bible text and Study Notes) for $27.99.

In Accordance, since I don't currently have the NIV Bible, getting the Study Notes and the Bible with just the G/K numbers (no tagging) would be $53.89, and getting the Study Notes and the fully tagged Bible would run me $63.89.

I would be curious to see what the other platform calls a "fully tagged" NIV. I didn't see it in a few searches. If you check the video on our product page for the NIV11-GKE, you can see its benefits. To my knowledge there is no equivalent to this on any platform. If you regularly use the NIV, this is a must have in my opinion (and yes, of course, I am biased; but objectively speaking it is a valuable and unique resource).

I would be curious to see what the other platform calls a "fully tagged" NIV. I didn't see it in a few searches. If you check the video on our product page for the NIV11-GKE, you can see its benefits. To my knowledge there is no equivalent to this on any platform. If you regularly use the NIV, this is a must have in my opinion (and yes, of course, I am biased; but objectively speaking it is a valuable and unique resource).

Hi, Rick!  I watched the video you have in Accordance on the tagging of the enhanced version and out of curiosity, I opened my NIV Reverse Interlinear in the other platform and followed along doing some of the things in the video.  I found very similar results in the other platform, such as the lighter color shading for the phrase and the darker shading for the specific word in question.

But it was not a detailed, step-by-step comparison of every action taken in the Accordance video.  As noted, I did it mainly out of curiosity because while the phrase tagging has never been a focus for me, I thought I had seen something similar on the other platform.

I know there are many people who have both Accordance and the other platform.  Perhaps someone who uses the enhanced tagging in Accordance on a regular basis and who also has the NIV 2011 Reverse Interlinear on the other platform can provide a more complete/helpful comparison. 

Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts.  They are appreciated.  I decided to give the NIV notes a try and use them along side another text translation while waiting for an NIV sale.

Edited by Rick Ausdahl
  • Like 1