Beal on Revelation

Alistair

There is an error in the TOC as follows:

"1:19" is missing from the TOC

post-101-0-71211500-1520882366_thumb.png

Sorry, that should read "Beale on Revelation"

Edited by Alistair

I don't think this is an error as the reference is in a different field from the rest of the title. However, if you do see an error, please right-click or go to Help and choose to report the correction. The email goes to the right department which will check on and pass on the correction.

Hi Helen,

I'm not sure you understood me.

The title of this section is "The significance of 1:19 as a key…" but in the table of contents on the left the reference has dropped out, reading "The significance of as a key…"

The text in question in highlighted in blue in the screenshot above. It is clearly wrong, as it makes no sense and it differs from the actual section heading, which does make sense.

One cannot right-click in the TOC to report errors.

I suppose I could have right-clicked on the section heading—except that is not where the error is. The error in in the TOC.

Edited by Alistair

There is an error in the TOC as follows:

"1:19" is missing from the TOC

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-03-12 at 19.21.11.png

Sorry, that should read "Beale on Revelation"

The scripture reference was in the "Scripture" field as Helen said, and therefore does not display in the Title field (how the TOC is rendered). Since the reference is duplicated in the next sentence, I added it to the title field so that it displays correctly in the TOC. An update is pending.

• Like 1

The scripture reference was in the "Scripture" field as Helen said, and therefore does not display in the Title field (how the TOC is rendered). Since the reference is duplicated in the next sentence, I added it to the title field so that it displays correctly in the TOC. An update is pending.

Can I ask a question then (provoked more by curiosity than anything else): How does Accordance handle rendering the references in other outlines common in many commentaries? For example, the titles in NAC Volume 25b appear in the TOC and are hyperlinked in the main text just as is expected by the OP in Beale. (I used NAC as an example because it was what I already had opened in front of me).

Can I ask a question then (provoked more by curiosity than anything else): How does Accordance handle rendering the references in other outlines common in many commentaries? For example, the titles in NAC Volume 25b appear in the TOC and are hyperlinked in the main text just as is expected by the OP in Beale. (I used NAC as an example because it was what I already had opened in front of me).

I think that if one were to do a search for a particular reference, using the reference tag, you would not expect to be taken to the table of contents. This mirrors the use of an index in a printed book—words in the copyright information, preface, introduction, author's dedication, the contents page etc are not included in the index. So it make no sense to tag the TOC in an Accordance module as anything at all. No-body wants to search the TOC, they want to search the actually module. The TOC is just a short-cut for jumping through a longer document. It's faster than scrolling.

Neither does it make sense to exclude a reference from a TOC entry because it is tagged as a 'reference' and not as a 'title' in the text. If the TOC was automatically generated by searching for text tagged as 'title' then I can see how this would happen. This is where the automated systems breaks down and you need a careful editor to actually read it through and look out for errors such as these.

Having worked in publishing and occasionally doing the odd work for people I like and causes I believe in, I make it a part of my job to check the contents page matches exactly the chapter headings. Nothing beats an experienced editor.

In Reference Tools (aka commentaries) the first two fields are Reference and Titles. These are the fields that display in the Tool Browser aka TOC. The Reference field is indexed differently than Scripture. Reference is the scripture reference used to anchor the comments on a verse and is used for syncing with Texts. So, when a title / heading in a commentary has a scripture reference in it that is also used for syncing, both display in the browser.

In the Beale example, the reference is not used for syncing, and therefore was not in the Reference field. This was the only instance in the entire commentary where this occurred.

And, we are starting to use a slightly different method for this as of late that renders the browser independently of these field distinctions. So, it's all kind of moot as this will be rare in past releases (like Beale), and not occur at all in future releases.

That's a lot of technicalities, but I hope it helps to satisfy your curiosity. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Rick. that is helpful. Like the OP I would expect the reference to occur in the TOC as it would be in the print edition.

Sounds like this is one of those interesting case scenarios where it is outside of the norm for a commentary.  And always glad to hear of improvements happening in the backend to make Accordance better.

• Like 1