Windows - How to get scrollable popup for Atlas Locations

Rick Ausdahl

In a training seminar for Accordance 12, David Lang shows how to get a scrollable popup window for locations on the Atlas by using the cursor to click and hold on a location.

I can't get that to work.  David was using a Mac, so I thought it might be a little different on a PC, and I also tried the click and hold with combinations of the shift key, the Ctrl key, the fn key, and the alt key.  So far I have not been able to bring up a scrollable popup for the Atlas.

Is this feature/function available on a PC?

NOTE:  I can get a scrollable popup window by doing a ctrl+click on a word in a Bible text, but no such luck with the Atlas.

Hi Rick,

Do you mean a popup containing brief information about the site ? You can do that on Mac by left click and hold. And that box contains the information that shows in ID when you mouse over the city. I see on my Mac I have the Biblelands Photoguide 3 set as the default hypertext lookup tool, configured in the Set Map Display .... On Windows there are several issues. 

Set Map Display.... : changing a setting and hitting Ok crashes Accordance right now.

Secondly, I cannot set the photoguide as my default lookup so I cannot repro. what I have on Mac.

Thx

D

If I click-hold on a location, I get a popup, scrollable window.

I have things set so that a double-click opens Dictionary of Place Names in a separate window.

The click-hold brings up topographical info and the Dictionary of Place Names when available. If that site is not in that list (e.g., Kishon River), it brings up Easton.

Yep - I got this working on Windows once I set the Bible Lands Photo Guide configured. I logged my crash case separately.

Thx

D

On the Mac... in Atlas... a command F gives a list of all the locations.

Although I should know what the key board short cut is for Window computers... I'm coming up short at this late hour.

Someone familiar with windows would know the appropriate key combination.

Hi Rick,

Do you mean a popup containing brief information about the site ? You can do that on Mac by left click and hold. And that box contains the information that shows in ID when you mouse over the city. I see on my Mac I have the Biblelands Photoguide 3 set as the default hypertext lookup tool, configured in the Set Map Display .... On Windows there are several issues. 

Set Map Display.... : changing a setting and hitting Ok crashes Accordance right now.

Secondly, I cannot set the photoguide as my default lookup so I cannot repro. what I have on Mac.

Thx

D

Yes, that popup containing info for what your mouse is over, and doing a left click and hold is suppose to provide a popup with a scroll bar if there's too much info to fit in the window.

The best way to see exactly what I'm referring is probably to take a look at the training video to which I referred in my original post.  Here's the details on the video.

• It's an Accordance seminar training video from a 2016 seminar for Accordance 12.
  • The video is Session 1: Accordance 12 Overview (David Lang)
  • The web site URL is https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Training-Seminar-Videos
  • An example of the feature is demonstrated starting at 42 minutes into the video and running to 42 minutes, 30 seconds.  (42:00 to 42:30 on the progress bar.)

Doing a click and hold as stated in the video does nothing.  Neither does any combination of Windows control keys while clicking and holding (e.g. shift key, ctrl key, fn key, alt key.  Double clicking on a location will open the designated default resource set up for the Atlas as indicated at the tail end of the 30 second clip I noted, but click and hold does not provide a popup window of any kind, let alone a popup window with a scroll bar, allowing me to scroll through the info from the default resource in that popup window.

Just as a reminder, I can get a popup window with a scroll bar when working in a Bible text if I click and hold on a word/name/location while also holding down the ctrl key, but I can't get this feature to work on the Atlas.

Ok so yes this is the ID window popup and whether it has anything to display for sufficient to require a scroll bar will depend upon which resource you have hyperlinked in the Atlas display, accessible from Ctrl-T or from the Preferences -> Map Tab  Display -> Hypertext setting. And it works fine on my Windows installation. You don't need any control or shift key, just click and hold. The hold time is configurable in the prefs too. It's configured in Prefs->Instant Details-> Show Popover on click and hold. Make sure that is checked.

Thx

D

Ok so yes this is the ID window popup and whether it has anything to display for sufficient to require a scroll bar will depend upon which resource you have hyperlinked in the Atlas display, accessible from Ctrl-T or from the Preferences -> Map Tab  Display -> Hypertext setting. And it works fine on my Windows installation. You don't need any control or shift key, just click and hold. The hold time is configurable in the prefs too. It's configured in Prefs->Instant Details-> Show Popover on click and hold. Make sure that is checked.

Thx

D

Hmmm.  The Show Popover on click and hold option is checked and the Delay option is set to Short.  But I get no popup at all (Nada.  Nothing) doing a click and hold on the Atlas.  Again, double clicking on a location that does NOT work with click and hold, does work as expected by opening the default resource to the appropriate article.  So double click works--click and hold does not.

Ok that's odd. So now it's down to checking versions and whether there is anything unusual about your configuration.

So I'm on 12.2. I'm using Medium not short. And I'm using Windows 10. Rather similar config to yours but more disk and no 4K display.

I just tried with short and both maximised and non-maximised windows on the laptop display and the external monitor and it all worked fine.

Thx

D

Ok that's odd. So now it's down to checking versions and whether there is anything unusual about your configuration.

So I'm on 12.2. I'm using Medium not short. And I'm using Windows 10. Rather similar config to yours but more disk and no 4K display.

I just tried with short and both maximised and non-maximised windows on the laptop display and the external monitor and it all worked fine.

Thx

D

Yah, I started thinking about variables as well and wondered if there might be any issues with my 4K display or perhaps even with the touchpad on my laptop.  So I dropped the screen resolution to standard HD (1920 x 1080), attached a wireless mouse, restarted the computer and tried again.  No change.   :( 

So then I disabled the touchpad and rebooted.  Still no change.   :( :(   Next I tried a different external mouse.  Still no change.   :(  :(  :(

I'm running the 12.2.4 prod version of Accordance and the 12.2.5b1 Aleph.  Same issue in both.

Yep same Aleph.

Ok so this doesn't make any sense. And you already mentioned that you can get a scrollable pop-up from a bible text so the function seems to be working at some level.

Hmmm.... not much else is occurring to me right now I'm afraid. I'll have to think on it a bit more.

Thx

D

Ok absent any other thought, try turning off the ID popover on hold setting in the prefs. Then come out of the prefs and make sure it isn't working. Then turn it back on and see if that helps. It my pref variation of turn-it-off-turn-it-on and see if that fixes it.

Ok absent any other thought, try turning off the ID popover on hold setting in the prefs. Then come out of the prefs and make sure it isn't working. Then turn it back on and see if that helps. It my pref variation of turn-it-off-turn-it-on and see if that fixes it.

I turned off the popover option, then closed and reopened Accordance.  That eliminated the popover when clicking and holding on a word/name/location in my Bible text, and as I would expect, no popover in the Atlas either.

Next, I turned the popover option back on, then closed and reopened Accordance.  Doing a click and hold in my Bible text once again produced a popover, but it was not scrollable and only contained minimal Strong's numbering info.  Doing a ctrl+click-and-hold, brought up a scrollable popover (as it's done in the past), but with mixed results.  For example, using the ESV with Strong's as my Bible text, I got the following:

In 2 Samuel 1:1, Doing a click-and-hold on either "Amalekites" or "Ziklag" produced a non-scrollable popover with basic Strong's info.  Doing the same click-and-hold but while holding down the ctrl key, produced a scrollable popover containing the basic Strong's info, plus the complete articles (minus pictures) for these entries from my ISBE Revised dictionary.

However the results were different when selecting either "Saul" or "David" from that same passage.  As with "Amalekites" and "Ziklag", doing a click-and-hold on "Saul" or "David" produced a non-scrollable popover with basic Strong's info.  But while doing a ctrl+click-and-hold on "Saul" or "David" brought up a scrollable popover with info from both Strong's and the ISBE, I did not get the entire article from the ISBE for either "Saul" or "David" as I did for "Amalekites" and "Ziklag".  Instead, all I got in the scrollable windows for "Saul" and "David", were outlines from the beginning of the ISBE articles showing what was to follow.  I.e.  I got the outlines but not the details that followed.

And finally, back to the Atlas, still no popover of any kind (scrollable or non-scrollable), whether doing the basic click-and-hold, or doing it while also holding down any of the other common Windows OS control keys (shift, ctrl, fn, alt).

I guess I'm going to have to see if Accordance support staff have any ideas.

Edited by Rick Ausdahl

OK... I've encountered a few discrepancies now with the Windows version of Accordance 12, in which features shown in some training seminars don't work on my main laptop as shown in the training videos.  So far, they all pertain to not being able to get an Instant Details popover window (that is scrollable if there's more info than will fit in the popover) when clicking and holding down the mouse button.  In the videos, it indicates this is all you have to do (i.e. click and hold the mouse button), but I've encountered the following discrepancies.

1. For starters, I never get a scrollable popover just by doing a click and hold of the mouse button.
  2. If hovering over a word/name/location in a text, to get a scrollable popover I have to hold down the ctrl key while doing the click and hold on the mouse button.  Even then, doing so does not always bring up the entire article in the popover.  Sometimes "yes", sometimes "no".
  3. If hovering over a commentary in the Info Pane, to get a scrollable popover I have to hold down the alt key while doing the click and hold on the mouse button.
  4. If hovering over a name/location on the Atlas, I can't find any ​standard Windows control key that will bring up any popover (scrollable or otherwise) when held down along with a click and hold of the mouse button.

So to get a scrollable popover, sometimes the ctrl key is also needed, sometimes the alt key is also needed, and sometimes nothing works.   :huh:

I will be contacting Tech Support to see if they can help.

Edited by Rick Ausdahl

Rick,

You do not need to contact tech support.  The atlas' click and hold did not work correctly and it should be fixed in the next build.

Rick, I'd also like to clarify some of the click and hold behavior (at least, as it is intended to work after you receive Orly's fixes):

In all contexts, whenever you can receive Instant Details information, a simple click and hold should open up Instant Details.

• A Ctrl+click and hold (on Windows, for Mac users use Command) will open up the alternate instant details information.  For a text, this pulls its statistical usage and a lexicon or two.  I don't believe most other Instant Details have alternate information.  Note, on the Atlas and Timeline a Ctrl+click will actually move the map around instead of opening ID.

• Holding the Alt key will bypass the requirements to Click and Hold, so doing a simple Alt+click will immediately open up the popover.  The only exception to this is the Atlas and Timeline, where Alt+Click starts the distance or time measurement tool.

I hope this helps clarify the behavior!

Rick,

You do not need to contact tech support.  The atlas' click and hold did not work correctly and it should be fixed in the next build.

Orly, thank you for the information.  One thing that threw me for a loop was that I have an oldish desktop machine that I built a few years ago, and I had never installed Accordance on it because I don't use the desktop that often.  But in an effort to rule out causes for what I was experiencing on my laptop, I decided to install Accordance on the desktop for comparison.  And guess what... on the desktop, doing the basic click-and-hold on a commentary in the Info Pane and on a location on the Atlas, did indeed bring up a scrollable popover exactly as demonstrated in the training seminar video.  So between that and posts in this thread by mgvh and דָנִיאֶל  stating that the click-and-hold "was" working for them, I started wondering if Accordance was having an issue with the touchpad driver on my laptop.  But at this point, I'll stop fussing with it until the next build for Accordance is ready.

Speaking of new Accordance builds, I had also uninstalled both the production and Aleph versions of Accordance on my laptop, then reinstalled the production version to see if that made any difference in the issues I was having on my laptop.  It didn't, but I haven't yet reinstalled the Aleph version.  I don't remember where/how I got the Aleph installation module--I'll see if I can find and reinstall it.

Rick, I'd also like to clarify some of the click and hold behavior (at least, as it is intended to work after you receive Orly's fixes):

In all contexts, whenever you can receive Instant Details information, a simple click and hold should open up Instant Details.

• A Ctrl+click and hold (on Windows, for Mac users use Command) will open up the alternate instant details information.  For a text, this pulls its statistical usage and a lexicon or two.  I don't believe most other Instant Details have alternate information.  Note, on the Atlas and Timeline a Ctrl+click will actually move the map around instead of opening ID.

• Holding the Alt key will bypass the requirements to Click and Hold, so doing a simple Alt+click will immediately open up the popover.  The only exception to this is the Atlas and Timeline, where Alt+Click starts the distance or time measurement tool.

I hope this helps clarify the behavior!

Thank you, Joel.  That pretty much lines up with what I've been seeing.

I.e. when in a text, doing the basic click-and-hold just brings up Strong's info, but doing it while holding the ctrl key also brings up the resource I've specified in preferences for triple-clicking (ISBE Revised at the moment), although I'm not sure why Accordance doesn't always populate the scrollable popover with the entire article.  (E.g.  Using the ESV with Strong's, in 2 Samuel 1:1, selecting either Ziklag or Amalekites populates the popover with the entire article, but selecting either David or Saul, results in the popover only being populated with some introductory outline info, leaving out the majority of the article.)

It also explains why when in the Info Pane, doing the click-and-hold along with the alt key when hovering over a commentary, populates a popover with info from that commentary, even though doing just the click-and-hold (which per Orly is not working correctly) produces nothing.

And finally, when in the Atlas, as you noted (and as noted in the training seminar video), both the alt and ctrl keys have already been assigned specific tasks, so until the basic click-and-hold is fixed, users may or may not be able to successfully use the click-and-hold feature with the Atlas in the current build of Accordance.

Thank you both again, Orly and Joel, for your help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK... I've encountered a few discrepancies now with the Windows version of Accordance 12, in which features shown in some training seminars don't work on my main laptop as shown in the training videos.  So far, they all pertain to not being able to get an Instant Details popover window (that is scrollable if there's more info than will fit in the popover) when clicking and holding down the mouse button.  In the videos, it indicates this is all you have to do (i.e. click and hold the mouse button), but I've encountered the following discrepancies.

1. For starters, I never get a scrollable popover just by doing a click and hold of the mouse button.
  2. If hovering over a word/name/location in a text, to get a scrollable popover I have to hold down the ctrl key while doing the click and hold on the mouse button.  Even then, doing so does not always bring up the entire article in the popover.  Sometimes "yes", sometimes "no".
  3. If hovering over a commentary in the Info Pane, to get a scrollable popover I have to hold down the alt key while doing the click and hold on the mouse button.
  4. If hovering over a name/location on the Atlas, I can't find any ​standard Windows control key that will bring up any popover (scrollable or otherwise) when held down along with a click and hold of the mouse button.

So to get a scrollable popover, sometimes the ctrl key is also needed, sometimes the alt key is also needed, and sometimes nothing works.   :huh:

I will be contacting Tech Support to see if they can help.

I'm happy to say that Aleph version 12.2.5b2 has resolved issues 1, 3, and 4.  Thank you!

That only leaves issue 2 (explained in more detail in a previous post in this thread).  In order to let this thread reflect the problem in the title has been resolved, I'll make issue 2 a new thread.