DoosanMan

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows, Android

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

Good Morning--Does anyone have any experience in moving from some of the lower end Bible softwares to Accordance?   I have been looking for a Bible software that syncs user notes to all my devices and it appears that Accordance does.

Is Accordance only for the serious Bible scholar?   I do not do in depth studies into Greek and Hebrew.   I often will look at the Strong's link or the BDB for Hebrew, but that is about all.   I like comparing different English translations along with some Spanish ones.   I have several favorite commentaries I use also.  I would be using the software for my daily Bible reading and making notes along with some light sermon preparation.

Thank you!

• Unix likes this

#2 Solly

Solly

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Far too many for my own good! ;-)
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

I started with Larry Pierce's Online Bible in the early 1990's on DOS. In the intervening years I have used several other low cost or free products including those from the Sword project and e-Sword. I have also used several other more commercial products. I suggest you try  Accordance Lite for the next few days and if you find it comfortable and useful, you will have a chance to purchase a collection with the full engine while the Spring Radness discounts are still available—till 2 April 2018 11:59 EST.

My personal experience: Accordance is valuable for all levels of users and interests. The resources offered are truly useful and fairly priced. The combination of the software engine and the tagged resources produces an experience that will probably exceed what you have experienced so far. Also, the company stands behind their products and provide outstanding support. 

It is time to try Accordance Lite—right now.

Don't wait.

Don't waffle.

Don't second guess.

Just do it!

Best wishes and I hope your Accordance experience is positive,

Joseph

• Daniel Francis likes this

Joseph F Sollenberger, Jr

#3 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

I came from a very basic windows Zondervan program to Accordance when I switched to Mac in 2008. I spent a year looking at software and came to the conclusion is that Accordance is something I could grow with. I have been challenged into new area simply by the forum and what has been made available.

If you use strongs then Accordance is ideal as you can get lots of translations which are tagged so you can see the underlying word easily and then go to a dictionary in a couple of clicks. Tagged versions and interlinear functionality were a revelation to me and I wouldn’t want to be without it now.

Now is an ideal time to buy as they have some mega sales on all their sets at the moment. You haven’t mentioned budget and while I read you don’t do in-depth original language, it’s nice having original texts and dictionaries and I would seriously look at this as its covers the bases and helps you to grow without breaking the bank.
https://www.accordan...ll12-GrHebLearn

But when looking at collections, I would start with a list of what you want in an ideal and then look at the resources included in the collection and decide what additional ones you would actually use.

Edited by ukfraser, 21 March 2018 - 10:17 AM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#4 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

Accordance and other paid software packages have much to offer... Accordance is one of the most inexpensive yet powerful ones you will find. At least one of the others has a basic free you can take a look at too.. But unlike Accordance going that route requires 5 times the cost to really get started. It truly has more bells and whistles but Accordance has most all the features it has and is much preferred by many scholars and users. In most respects Accordance's info pane is as helpful as some of the features you find in this other software and much faster in population of it. I encourage you to look at all but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what Accordance has to offer and find they have likely most of what you may want and indeed have more than a few key resources you will not find elsewhere.

-dan

#5 DoosanMan

DoosanMan

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

What about importing my user modules from SwordSearcher into Accordance?   I can export them out of SS as HTML files.

#6 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

Till now there is no import export function for User Notes in Accordance but you can import it as User Tools. But not in the Lite version only in the full one.

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with SuperRetina OLED, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU, SSD and more RAM.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

Accordance 12.2.4 and waiting on 13 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone X 256GB

iOS 11.2.6

Accordance Mobile 2.6.4.9492

#7 DoosanMan

DoosanMan

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

Till now there is no import export function for User Notes in Accordance but you can import it as User Tools. But not in the Lite version only in the full one.

There wouldn't be anyway to link the one I have named "My Commentary" which is my personal comments on verses to the Bibles that I am reading in Accordance then?

#8 Steve King

Steve King

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

That is not possible, at least at the moment. You cannot tie a User Tool to a bible so that one moves with the other.

At the moment the only way to get that to happen automatically is by using User Notes, however, there is no automated import for them. The notes are per verse so the only way you could currently do that is copy each verse section from your notes into a user note for that verse. Which would be fine if you only had a few notes to do but would be time consuming for many notes.

Steve King Running Accordance 12.2.3.1 on:

Mac 10.13.3 (High Sierra), late 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro, 16Gb RAM

iPad2 IOS 9

iPhone 6 IOS 11

#9 DoosanMan

DoosanMan

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

That is not possible, at least at the moment. You cannot tie a User Tool to a bible so that one moves with the other.

At the moment the only way to get that to happen automatically is by using User Notes, however, there is no automated import for them. The notes are per verse so the only way you could currently do that is copy each verse section from your notes into a user note for that verse. Which would be fine if you only had a few notes to do but would be time consuming for many notes.

Ok, I was afraid of that.   I was actually able to import and tie them together on a couple of the free options.   I just downloaded the Lite version and I'm almost overwhelmed with it.   Going to give it a try though.

#10 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Ok, I was afraid of that. I was actually able to import and tie them together on a couple of the free options. I just downloaded the Lite version and I'm almost overwhelmed with it. Going to give it a try though.

There are lots of podcasts to help learn how to use it and see what it can do.

https://www.accordan...e-Lamp-Podcasts

I just love having my library with me on computer, iPad and phone. Whenever I need it at an over the coffee talk or just sitting waiting somewhere and wanting to read something.

Edited by ukfraser, 21 March 2018 - 03:55 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#11 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

waiting somewhere and wanting to read something.

My mum said we would read the train timetable if nothing else was available :)

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 21 March 2018 - 04:05 PM.

• Alistair and ukfraser like this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac :     2009 27" iMac

12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
          Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#12 Solly

Solly

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Far too many for my own good! ;-)

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

... just sitting waiting somewhere and wanting to read something.

Never leave home without Accordance!

It sure beats the pocket full of 3X5 cards with information to review while waiting in the meal lines during my undergraduate days. 

Oh the memories,

Joseph

Joseph F Sollenberger, Jr

#13 DoosanMan

DoosanMan

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

Ok, I've watched a couple videos and trying to get the hang of it.   I know this is not the spot to ask questions......but if I do a Bible search it comes  up with a list of verses, but I can't click on the one that I want and read in that chapter.   Is there no way to go from the search list to the chapter in the  Bible and read?   Thank you

#14 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

On the Mac you click in the verse you want in the search results and then press "Command-5" which opens a Bible at that verse.

From the menus it is Amplify ==> Context.

And this is the best place to ask questions, so keep on asking!

Or to quote Albert Einstein, "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research."

Edited by Alistair, 21 March 2018 - 07:12 PM.

• ukfraser and Unix like this

#15 Steve King

Steve King

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

There are generally many ways to do things in Accordance. You can also display the whole context in your current bible text by using the 'slider' just above the bible text (from 0 to All). This controls how many verses are shown 'around' the displayed verses. This context can be set in preferences or you can just change it on the fly. When the slider is set to 'A' it will show all the text and then you have to use the arrows at the bottom of the screen to go to each hit.

If the verse you are interested in is at the top of the screen when you change it to 'A' you will be at that point in the Bible text.

You can ask questions on the forum and people will be very happy to help. It's one of the main reasons the forums exist so do not be concerned about asking. Also we were all 'Accordance beginners' at one time so feel free to ask away.

Steve King Running Accordance 12.2.3.1 on:

Mac 10.13.3 (High Sierra), late 2017 15 inch Macbook Pro, 16Gb RAM

iPad2 IOS 9

iPhone 6 IOS 11

#16 Michael Hunt

Michael Hunt

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Twitter:oddsocks
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

Welcome to the Accordance Forums. I believe you will find Accordance suitable for a range of Bible Study needs from Novice to Scholar. It is very powerful and you may find some of its menu's and options displayed overwhelming at first but the basics are pretty intuitive.

Check out the podcasts and recorded webinars or better yet begin with the Getting Started with Accordance series here for some of the more basics of the software:

https://www.accordan...with-Accordance

Further information about the training module that comes with any Accordance 12 collection can be found here

https://www.accordan...rted-Accordance

I have found Accordance to be a powerful and inexpensive way of building up a theological library of books I can take and read anywhere. One thing to note is that Accordance for Andriod is not yet as mature as Accordances other offering but is suitable for reading many items in the average library with more features coming soon.

Formerly known as oddsocks

#17 DoosanMan

DoosanMan

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:05 PM

Welcome to the Accordance Forums. I believe you will find Accordance suitable for a range of Bible Study needs from Novice to Scholar. It is very powerful and you may find some of its menu's and options displayed overwhelming at first but the basics are pretty intuitive.

Check out the podcasts and recorded webinars or better yet begin with the Getting Started with Accordance series here for some of the more basics of the software:

https://www.accordan...with-Accordance

Further information about the training module that comes with any Accordance 12 collection can be found here

https://www.accordan...rted-Accordance

I have found Accordance to be a powerful and inexpensive way of building up a theological library of books I can take and read anywhere. One thing to note is that Accordance for Andriod is not yet as mature as Accordances other offering but is suitable for reading many items in the average library with more features coming soon.

Appreciate it.

• Alistair likes this

#18 KevinPurcell

KevinPurcell

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Twitter:kapurcell
  • Interests:Theotek.com - Podcast with Rick Mansfield, Mark Allison, Wes Allen, Antoine Wright and LaRosa Johnson.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

I know this is not the spot to ask questions.....

actually, I think Accordance intended this spot as THE best place to ask questions so long as you don't need an immediate answer. Then call support. Otherwise, the users here are very helpful and the people at Accordance are also incredibly helpful in their forums. One of the strengths of the company compared to others.

Join Rick Mansfield, Wes Allen, Antoine Wright and LaRosa Johnson for the Theotek Podcast. See www.Theotek.com for more details. We talk church and Bible tech, often covering Accordance Bible Software.

Dr. Kevin A. Purcell
@kapurcell on Twitter
www.KevinPurcell.org

#19 jarcher

jarcher

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

actually, I think Accordance intended this spot as THE best place to ask questions so long as you don't need an immediate answer. Then call support. Otherwise, the users here are very helpful and the people at Accordance are also incredibly helpful in their forums. One of the strengths of the company compared to others.

Yep, this forum is extremely helpful. I would definitely encourage you to ask questions. The majority of the time you'll get a quick and accurate reply.

We're happy to help you navigate your questions before you buy. I don't think anyone wants you to end up making a purchase you regret. So.. ask away.

• DoosanMan likes this

#20 mgvh

mgvh

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Archaeology, Photography, Biking
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

If you're interested in comparing a number of English translations, BibleWorks is actually the best value since it includes so many in its base package. (46 or so!) You also can open and edit your HTML files from SS in its Editor tab.

BibleWorks, however, is geared more for in depth Greek/Hebrew study, and Accordance is more user friendly in a number of ways. If one is not proficient at Hebrew/Greek, then Accordance's 'sympathetic highlighting' (mouse over a English word highlights it in tagged Greek/Hebrew and vice versa) is extremely helpful.

Edited by mgvh, 22 March 2018 - 09:29 AM.

• מִיכָאֵל likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users