Question on Copying Verses

DoosanMan

Ok, I purchased Accordance!   I'm enthused and thank you for all that helped me in the other thread I posted.   I imported two User Tools last night from I other software and it went really smoothly.   Now I have a basic question.  I am used to being able to right click to paste a verse or range of verses into my user tools or notes.   Is the only way in Accordance to select with mouse and use traditional copy and paste methods? Thanks!

Download and install the Accordance services from this link https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers/#Services. The zip folder will have installation instructions. After you install the services, you can simply hit Option + Command + A (on mac) and a menu will appear where you can type the reference of the passage and choose the translation and Accordance will paste it in your Word Processor, email app, etc. 

Welcome to Accordance! 

Download and install the Accordance services from this link https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers/#Services. The zip folder will have installation instructions. After you install the services, you can simply hit Option + Command + A (on mac) and a menu will appear where you can type the reference of the passage and choose the translation and Accordance will paste it in your Word Processor, email app, etc. 

Welcome to Accordance! 

Thanks!  I'm actually running on Windows machines.   I'm a little confused.....do I need to download "Accordance Services" to do what you are saying I can?   I am noticing also that some of my ctrl+keys are not functioning in the software.   Is this why?

Ok, I found out that I cannot use the number pad.......It has to be ctrl+the top row of number keys.

Hi,

There was this post a long time ago; I don’t know if things have changed, or if it just applies to Macs:

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/14874-best-way-to-copy-verse-or-range-of-verses-to-clipboard/

You don’t know it yet, but once you get into Accordance, you will eventually want a Mac. It took me a few years to realize it. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

There is on Windows Ctrl-Alt-A which will pop up a selector wherein you may enter the verses you want and select the text you want.  More helpfully still, select the verse ref you want, click somewhere in the verse, ref then hit Ctrl-Alt-A it will appear in the pop up dialog. You may then copy it to the system clipboard and paste where you like. If Acc has detected an open word processor that it supports it will give you the option to paste directly there. See the help for this. There is a ? icon on the pop up dialog that will show it to you. Works for extra-biblical texts too ! 

You can even select multiple contiguous verses and hit ctrl-alt-A to get them all.

Please add support for LibreOffice :)

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Hi,

There was this post a long time ago; I don’t know if things have changed, or if it just applies to Macs:

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/14874-best-way-to-copy-verse-or-range-of-verses-to-clipboard/

You don’t know it yet, but once you get into Accordance, you will eventually want a Mac. It took me a few years to realize it. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Michel

Yes, I'm needing a new laptop and have been thinking of going that route.   Which MacBook would be a good fit for me?  I like the 13" size, does that work well with Accordance?   I doubt I will be installing any other intensive software on it, or at least not much.

There is on Windows Ctrl-Alt-A which will pop up a selector wherein you may enter the verses you want and select the text you want.  More helpfully still, select the verse ref you want, click somewhere in the verse, ref then hit Ctrl-Alt-A it will appear in the pop up dialog. You may then copy it to the system clipboard and paste where you like. If Acc has detected an open word processor that it supports it will give you the option to paste directly there. See the help for this. There is a ? icon on the pop up dialog that will show it to you. Works for extra-biblical texts too ! 

You can even select multiple contiguous verses and hit ctrl-alt-A to get them all.

Please add support for LibreOffice :)

Thx

D

Thanks! just what I was looking for.

Yes, I'm needing a new laptop and have been thinking of going that route. Which MacBook would be a good fit for me? I like the 13" size, does that work well with Accordance? I doubt I will be installing any other intensive software on it, or at least not much.

You may want to read this thread. But Accordance isn’t processor heavy so anything will do.

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/22939-13-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-2017-version/

(Or even get julie’s Air if she still has it)

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Yes, I'm needing a new laptop and have been thinking of going that route.   Which MacBook would be a good fit for me?  I like the 13" size, does that work well with Accordance?   I doubt I will be installing any other intensive software on it, or at least not much.

Thanks! just what I was looking for.

Accordance would run well on basically any Mac computer, old or new. However, I recommend the MacBook Pro 13inch 2016 model (the newest model). 

Hi again,

I would start a new topic in Mainly Macintosh below and ask your question. You will probably get dozens of responses by users who know Macs better than me. And, the post won’t get lost as quickly or as easily as here.

I’m a relatively new Mac user. I love it. In my case, I like desktops, and the Mac mini was enough for my needs. The equivalent laptop would be a MacBook Air.

I’d say get what you can reasonably afford. 8 GB RAM and an SSD are both great if you can upgrade to them. A better screen resolution than on the MacBook Air would be great too. One thing about Macs vs Windows laptops is you can’t upgrade RAM later, sometimes it is also difficult to upgrade to an SSD later, e.g., on my Mac mini. So you have to plan ahead for the next five years or more.

Two apps that I would recommend are SteerMouse and PopClip. It sounds like you do a lot of copying and pasting, so check out both of them to see if they would help your work flow.

Regards,

Michel

Back to the OP, there are a bunch of ways you can copy. 

There is a way to copy to other programs or clipboard with ctrl-alt-a (Get Verses) - you just have to have that option turned on in preferences.

But if you highlight a verse and right click, you'll see under options that you can copy it as just the verse without superscripts, with citation, just the reference (helpful if you have a number of verses and just want the reference) and so on. 

Also, as a word of personal testimony, I used Mac for the first 5 years, but then PC almost exclusively for the last 5. I have no issues with functionality whatsoever. Since it has been native to both Mac and PC, apart from a few pretty things and Mac services (which I was never clever enough to use anyway) there is no difference to the way Accordance for Mac or PC work. So by all means change to a PC but not because of Accordance!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Revisiting this topic with an added requirement.

CTRL+ALT-A works well if you want to paste extended text (up to the max) in the format used by that tool. The only user option is whether or not to Copy As Citation. But if I want to Copy As No Superscript this is not useful.

What more efficient alternative do I have to left-click and dragging the extended selection, then Copy > Copy As No Supersript? 

When I use "Get verses" (ctrl-alt-a) no superscripts come up, whichever option is chosen, regardless of whether the text I've chosen has superscripts or not. Only if I copy from Accordance itself (ctrl-c) does that happen.

• Like 1

Ah, that's helpful to know. Getting some very helpful responses here and in the other thread.

Saved me a TON of time yesterday.

Edited by JohnABarnett