#162 Greek Grammars & Construct Searches

Timothy Jenney

Podcast #162 is in response to a viewer’s request. (See the Podcasts forum thread, Ideas, I need Ideas!)
https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/21989-ideas-i-need-ideas/

It shows how to build a Construct search based on a description of a particular construction in a Greek grammar. In this case, Dr. J shows how to find each of Wallace’s four classes of conditional sentences. Ready for a challenge?

The Greek Grammar Searches Workspace features in the podcast is attached for your convenience. Enjoy!

Greek Grammar Searches.accord.zip

Note: Even if you do not own all the resources included in the workspace, it may still open for you in Accordance 11 and up, but will crash if the Syntax is not installed.

This podcast just went live! Enjoy.

• Like 2

I am not seeing it in iTunes

It's visible on YouTube this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FKHr8GwrCs

Dr J., regarding the caveats, you mentioned an issue in search both directions I wasn't aware of. I may not have quite understood it correctly though. Could you clarify for me : does search both directions reverse the elements at all levels of the construct (while retaining the hierarchy of enclosing elements), rather than just at the top ?

thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

It's visible on YouTube this morning. 

The results of my investigation is: This morning: No. This afternoon: Yes ;)

Greetigs

Fabian

The results of my investigation is: This morning: No. This afternoon: Yes 

It should be visible everywhere now. 

Now I see it in iTunes.

• 3 years later...

Really enjoyed the podcast -- I am sorry that I am "late to the party" -- but it has really helped reinforce some of the things that I have learned in Basic of Biblical Greek.

Question: do you have a construct that will find ALL the periphrastic participles in the Greek New Testament?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Jonna from MIchigan

The attached construct file should get most of the periphrastic participles (I think).Periphrastic Participles.accord

Do note that for this search, I define that the verb must be ειμι, but it can be any tense.

You might get a few more true hits if you add γινομαι as the predicate verb.