Aesthetics - Make it Beautiful

Cincinnati

Fortunately, there are a few options for tweaking text (bible) display. However, I think these fall significantly short but surely could be easily resolved. Currently, it feels more like a 'tool' rather than an inviting 'text'. Look at some of the the Allens and the Quentels and take some design cues. Those companies have to expend vast efforts for small gains but we have digital text where fonts/size, etc. can be changed with a click. We're able already to set our own column width which is great. But we don't have enough options yet to be able to tailor the look to taste. I would just like more advanced options for verse reference/display/layout:

1. Font selection pull down menu - each font should show it its actual font.

2. Several indent options.

3. Many options for verse references. This is the heart of the problem really. We need the ability to show/hide verse references to taste. Currently when trying to tame this beast it still shows at the start of every paragraph. There should be numerous options here. Hide reference, hide verse number except at beginning of paragraph, hide verse number and only show chapter headings, the first letter of each chapter could be larger and graphic, ability to show text note markers or turn them off, etc. etc. 

4.  The readers mode doesn't fix any of this. It also should allow more options. With many screens wide I would suggest the ability to actually make the text look like an open bible with two pages showing. Currently only one shows with lots of empty room either side. 

5. Changes should be available in normal and readers mode...not only readers mode.

I look forward to using Accordance someday on a tablet and that would be tempting for daily reading...but not in the current format that just looks...like a tool...and for no reason. A new print run isn't required. Let's take full advantage of the digital medium. A friend stopped using the program on a tablet and uses a competitor's for these reasons. I'll add another request at some point for more integration of swiping on tablets and phones to make the process efficient and intuitive...and inviting. 

As an aside, when word searching and getting a list of verse hits. Why can't one do the intuitive thing and double click a verse reference and immediately be taken to that scripture in context - whether in a new tab or not? I'm new so perhaps I'm missing something. I end up running a new search for that specific verse leaving behind the search results and it's a tedious method. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the references, there are many options available for you in the Display Menu -> Set Text Display option (Ctrl+T).  If you go to the 'Advanced' section, you can choose to hide the superscripts (hiding the "note markers"), or under References Format, you can choose different reference options, such as to hide the reference completely.

For viewing a scripture, why not use the Context option?  You can click in a verse and type Ctrl+5 (cmd-5 on mac), or access it from the Right-click->Look up->Context, or by adding the Context button to your toolbar.

I don't think we offer everything you are requesting, but it sounds like Accordance does more than you have found just yet!

Thanks for the reply Joel and for pointing out possible solutions. I did add the context button. But here's the thing, the idea is to strip away unnecessary barriers and make the interface fade away. In this instance one needs to click on the reference then move a mouse and click on context and then a new reference window is opened. Using the right click then expanding menus is fine but it can't compete with a simple double click. In a search list, double clicking on an entry reference does nothing at all. So that's under-utilized real estate that I think is far more intuitive and certainly 66% more efficient (1 move rather than 3). Also, the idea to offer in advanced options to either display in the current window (as long as there's a 'back' option) or open in another tab or open in a resource window. Each of those could be offered as options and people could tailor to taste. A key combo option is nice to have and will be used by some but not all. 

Regarding the format options - they're aren't that many and I've toyed with them all. I've even made the reference color the same color as the background to get rid of them...which gives the same result as hide references. Both methods however are non-functional when it comes to a search which is (temporarily) switching from aesthetics to tool. If  you've hidden references as a universal choice then search results also have hidden references. That's yet another option that could be added 'apply formatting options except in search results' for example. I think the suggestions would strengthen the program's appeal and I would highly value the ability to make the text more fun to look at and I know others would as well. Extensive options can be ignored but the lack of options for something like this leaves one ... wanting. 

One option I've asked about along these lines before is the ability to remove all text formatting, versification, indentation and such, leaving only punctuation and the text. I cannot get rid of paragraph divisions but pretty much else I can. So while I would not use some, perhaps many, of the options you suggest, I agree in principle that having a few more would allow people to access the text in ways suiting their own tastes or use cases.

Thx

D