How do I make the info pane open resources vertically by default vs horizontally?

TheBard

I'm setting up Accordance for my wife as she is interested in using Accordance now (pretty excited that she's interested to use!). She's taken a liking to the Info Pane, but I'm noticing when opening a commentary or study bible that it defaults to opening horizontally below the Bible text and Info Pane window. I'd like however for it to open vertically by default as this is a more natural way to read the commentary/study bible. I know you can move it to be vertical, and it will always do this when I tell it to, but this is a hassle to have to do each time.

Thanks!

I was looking for a preference for parallel tools and notes - here Preferences -> General -> Other called Open parallel tools and notes in vertical orientation. However I just tried it and the Info Pane ignores the setting which is a bit unexpected. Other parallels open as dictated by this setting. I couldn't see another setting to control it.

So what I would suggest is to create a workspace with a text tab set up with the orientation you want and save that workspace. Then just load that workspace for study.

Thx

D

Thanks for checking. Should this be a bug submittal (or feature request)?

Set up a workspace like this:

post-30442-0-94315600-1523181602_thumb.png

It automatically changes the book on the right when you choose one in the Info Pane.

Nice way to do Bible Study.

Edited by HansK

Set up a workspace like this:

attachicon.gifDefault_sorter_en_Bijbelstudie_2_en_Bijbelstudie_1.png

It automatically changes the book on the right when you choose one in the Info Pane.

Nice way to do Bible Study.

I'm aware that this can be done and it's an option. However, for me and my wife it's good habit for us to read/study the Bible in depth on our own first before reading any commentary and I'm afraid having this as a default will affect the habits. Hopefully this becomes an option to always open to the right. Not a huge deal I guess in the meantime to just drag it manually to the right when ready to read commentaries, just wouldn't like it to be the only option.

Understood. I approach it the same way. While I was checking this out I noticed that you can hit the icon that affects the orientation of parallels before opening any. So you should be able to save the ws with the tan set up like that and only open the info pane when you're ready.

Thx

D

I'm pretty sure there is an option somewhere in the preferences. I will take a look when I am in front of my laptop (left it in the church office following yesterday's service)

I'm pretty sure there is an option somewhere in the preferences. I will take a look when I am in front of my laptop (left it in the church office following yesterday's service)

I was looking for a preference for parallel tools and notes - here Preferences -> General -> Other called Open parallel tools and notes in vertical orientation. However I just tried it and the Info Pane ignores the setting which is a bit unexpected. Other parallels open as dictated by this setting. I couldn't see another setting to control it.

Strange, this option works for me. It was the preference I was thinking of and has always been one of the defaults I have modified when setting up Accordance. Running some users tests caused no issues and it performed as expected.

I am running Accordance on a Mac. Is it possible this is a Windows-only issue?

Ok just tried on Mac - has no affect on the info pane. I've tried the latest beta and the 12.2.4 production. What version are you using Michael ?

Thx

D

Works as expected for me on a Mac with 12.2.5b2. I doubt it was necessary, but I did quit Accordance after setting the preference. Works perfect with the restart.

12.2.4 running 10.13.4.

Strange I have always run info pane in a vertical orientation and never had any problems. Toggling the earlier mentioned preference does exactly as what you would expect. I can switch it off and have a new panel open in a horizontal pane below the text/info panel. I can switch the preference on and by default, it now opens the pane vertically.

Q: What happens when you use the modifier key to open it (i.e. hold down the shift key on mac and open a resource form the info pane)

Works as expected for me on a Mac with 12.2.5b2. I doubt it was necessary, but I did quit Accordance after setting the preference. Works perfect with the restart.

I did the same Julie on 12.2.4. In fact I did everything to try and break it.

I just converted from horizontal display to vertical display on Windows by:  Edit—> Preferences —> General, then find the check box list under other and check "Open parallel tools and notes in vertical position."

—joseph

• Like 2

Ok so there is another thing going on here as well then. I tried the shift key approach too and it made no difference. I tried restarting the app - still no difference. I tried English bibles and Greek ones. Still no difference. I know the flag works because I have seen other parallel texts change orientation with this setting.

In fact it seems only tools, not other texts are opening following this setting for me at present. It seems I need a new search tab or even a new w/s - still not sure - to get it to work. I thought I had it working a minute ago but at present I am only seeing the apparatuses following the setting.

Still something I'm missing

Thx

D

I just converted from horizontal display to vertical display on Windows by:  Edit—> Preferences —> General, then find the check box list under other and check "Open parallel tools and notes in vertical position."

—joseph

Solly, seems for some reason a few people are finding that this isn't working for them as expected.

Solly, seems for some reason a few people are finding that this isn't working for them as expected.

Ah, this is why I converted mostly to Mac a few years ago. ;)

Yes, I am running away quickly and ducking as I run! ;-)

—Solly

Poked about more on Mac. Still no real surety as to what's going on. With the box unchecked the first tool (say ZIBBCNT) will open below the text. The second tool (say an apparatus) will open to the right of ZIBBCNT. Texts and the Info pane open in the first row parallel to the text.

This is basically what I see on Windows too. So my guess is it's generic but I don't know what the other setting is that helps this happen.

Re-reading the original post though I think I may have misunderstood the question. I thought the issue was the positioning of the Info Pane itself. Re-reading the OP it seems that the real issue is that the tool selected from the IP is opening below the text in a second row. And indeed that operation is following the preference setting.

So if that's all it is, my apologies. However, if it was the info pane itself and others are able to get it to open below the text or beside based on this setting then I do see a different behaviour.

Can anyone confirm whether this is about the IP pane itself of things opened from it ?

Thx

D

• Like 1

... but I'm noticing when opening a commentary or study bible that it defaults to opening horizontally below the Bible text and Info Pane window. I'd like however for it to open vertically by default as this is a more natural way to read the commentary/study bible. I know you can move it to be vertical, and it will always do this when I tell it to, but this is a hassle to have to do each time.

Thanks!

I read this as the tool opened by  a choice within the Info Pane.

—Joseph

Ok - then I misread it the first time and then got it right second and we have been talking angry dolphins since - ooops. sorry.

Seems to work as advertised then.

Hopefully, TheBard and try the parameter out and report on whether it achieves the desired result.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Yes this was about the resource itself not opening vertically, but sounds like my question generated some interesting discussion :)

• Like 1

Mostly just demonstrated that I should read more slowly and carefully :)

No problem, and if it makes you feel better, that option works and I feel kinda dumb that I didn't see it in the General section... :)

• Like 1

Poked about more on Mac. Still no real surety as to what's going on. With the box unchecked the first tool (say ZIBBCNT) will open below the text. The second tool (say an apparatus) will open to the right of ZIBBCNT. Texts and the Info pane open in the first row parallel to the text.

This is basically what I see on Windows too. So my guess is it's generic but I don't know what the other setting is that helps this happen.

Re-reading the original post though I think I may have misunderstood the question. I thought the issue was the positioning of the Info Pane itself. Re-reading the OP it seems that the real issue is that the tool selected from the IP is opening below the text in a second row. And indeed that operation is following the preference setting.

So if that's all it is, my apologies. However, if it was the info pane itself and others are able to get it to open below the text or beside based on this setting then I do see a different behaviour.

Can anyone confirm whether this is about the IP pane itself of things opened from it ?

Thx

D

I read it as TheBard wrote it :-)

Daniel, you are not going all postmodern on us? Eisegesis instead of exegesis? 

Nothing so complex I'm afraid :)

Always an interesting exercise to debug a problem. Sometimes, as here, just a perceived problem not a real one.

I really should stay out of issues I know nothing about - I basically never use the info pane. On the up side I know more now than I did :)

Thx

D

• Like 1