Dropbox sync wiped out highlights on iPad

luoqianhe

I had a bunch of highlights on my iPad that I wanted to get over to my laptop.  I did a few things and ended up losing all the highlights on my iPad.  Not sure how that happened - I thought the highlights were supposed to be merged, not replaced.

Here's what I did:

- On my laptop, I noticed I had two highlights files - My Highlights and Mobile Highlights.  I didn't want two files, so I merged them.

- On my iPad, I initiated a Dropbox sync in Accordance and then synced it with Accordance on my laptop.

Now the highlights have been totally removed from my iPad (not just the highlights I had only done on my iPad, but all of them).  The laptop also doesn't have the highlights I had made on my iPad - it only has the highlights I had done from the laptop.

So what did I do wrong?  Is there a way to get the highlights back?

If you have not got your own backup then dropbox keeps deleted files for 30 days so check to see if the original highlights file is available on dropbox as a deleted file.

I must admit I tend to try and keep my 'key' highlight files only updated via the laptop and have highlight files that I keep especially for mobile devices, just in case something like this happens. There is one highlight file that I use that gets a lot of updates between all devices but it is for that purpose anyway rather than keeping key information - and I try to keep it synced regularly. A good idea is to do regular backups. If you are on a Mac then Time Machine is ideal. 

Edited by Steve King
  • Like 1

Thanks, Steve.  I was able to download one of my highlights files from Dropbox.  Do you know how I can import it into Accordance?  I looked in Library but I can't seem to find where Accordance stores those files.

On a Mac the default store for them is under you home file Documents/Accordance Files/Highlights

I know with user tools you just have to double click them and it will automatically import them into Accordance and put them in the right folder. It is probably the same for highlight files.

Once you place the new highlight file in the correct folder, it should be available within Accordance (no installation required)  (Help: Digging Deeper > Color Highlighting > Backup and Share Highlight Files)

Thanks!  I stuck the highlights file in the folder (double-clicking resulted in a message from Accordance - 'This appears to be an unsupported file type') and it worked.  Got all my highlights back.  非常感谢!!Thanks guys!