First foray into a user tool

Tim Hall

So, I am making a user tool from the notes on my reading for my classes. I dumped the notes into a text file (saved as a .html). I added the headers but it isn't working the way I am expecting it to.

There is no nested table of contents, the codes for the headers a showing. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have attached the html file and the user tool.

Community Shaping Leadership.acc7.zip

Servant Leadership 25th Anniversary Edition A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness-Notebook.html.zip

The way I have done it is to dump the notes into a Word file. Set that up with the word headers you want (Header1/2/3 etc) then save it as "web page, filtered (htm)".

Be aware that the import of html into Accordance does not work for all html commands. So tables are not supported and I don't think nested levels are.

I tried it out and the problem with the 'Word' way of doing things is that it does not import the tabs and bullets correctly - at least as they are.

Edited by Steve King

Steve,

I tried that and it came out worse than the original attempt.

If you look at the HTML source for the word version and the source for your version then the heading codes have other characters in them

So from word I get:

<div class=WordSection1>
<h1>Books</h1>
<p class=p2> </p>

Your HTML has:

<p class="p1"><h1>Books<h1></p>

It is not properly recognising the < and > on the headers. It is putting them in as character codes. Perhaps that is causing the issue.

Edited by Steve King
  • Like 1

How would I go about changing it?

You would need something like BBEdit or TextWrangler. TextWrangler is no longer being updated so the company wants you to use BBEdit. Both are free although BBEdit has a paid option with more features. These will allow you to edit the HTML directly.

You can get it at https://www.barebones.com

I have recently got a new laptop so have not got either on here yet. I have just downloaded BBEdit and did a quick update on one of your headers. That seemed to work. Give me a half hour and I will update the rest and upload it then you can at least see what it looks like after the update.

Here is the updated file - I changed the name so it would not overwrite anything you have.

Servant Leadership Update with BBEdit.html.zip

Edited by Steve King
  • Like 1

Steve,

It worked like a charm. Thank you so very much!!

I downloaded BBEdit, so hopefully things will work moving forward.

Edited by Timothy Hall

Excellent. Glad it worked OK.

Steve,

I started another user tool today for another class. The difference that jumps out to me is that the tool you worked on for me had T, 1, & 2 on the far left side. I added the header markings in BBEdit by copying yours and pasting them into the new tool (in hopes of it working well). However, on the far left side it only has T.

So my question is, How do I get 1 & 2 in the gray area on the left side of the User Tool edit window?

Hi Tim,

I'm unclear on the steps you have taken to create the new user tool. On the first tool you had an HTML file that you were importing into Accordance. So the steps for that appear to have been:

1. You created an HTML file with the notes in it (If you don't mind me asking how did you do that?).

2. That file had the wrong HTML heading codes when I reviewed it in BBEdit.

3. I updated that HTML file to have the correct HTML Heading codes by using BBEdit

4. I then imported that updated HTML file into a new Accordance User Tool.

Is that the same process you are using for this new tool?

Steve,

Here is the process I used:

1. Exported the notebook (highlights & notes) for the book from the Kindle app, saved it on my desktop (it defaulted to an html file so i left it)

2. opened the file in Text Edit to make some corrections (remove extra spaces, etc.)

3. thought I could do it in Word quicker so opened it in Word, made the corrections

4. I then opened the file in BBEdit to add the code for the headers

4a. I copied the first code for each level of header from the last file i received from you

4b. I then typed in </hx> at the end of the header line (x being the level of header)

5. saved the file

6. imported the file into accordance by creating a new user tool

7. none of the headers were recognized so I edited it and noticed there were no red numbers on the left of the User Tool edit window

8. I attempted to add the T, 1, & 2 in that grey space on the left but was only able to add  Ts

9. updated the user tool

10. got frustrated again, & replied to this chain

In case it helps, I have attached the new files (html that was imported and the user tool that resulted from it {with the Ts put in})

Habits that Sustain Ministry.acc7.zip

The Attentive Life.html.zip

Edited by Timothy Hall

Hi Tim,

First of all to answer the BBEdit editing. You have the header codes in the wrong place. The following works

<span class="s1"><b><h1 style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.1px 0.0px; line-height: 28.0px; font: 24.0px Times; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000">Books</h1></b></span>

Note that they Header commands (in red) are next to the header word (in blue) itself

What you had was

<h1 style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.1px 0.0px; line-height: 28.0px; font: 24.0px Times; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000"><span class="s1"><b>Books</b></span></h1>

Note that in this case your header commands are at the beginning and end of the whole line of other commands and the header word.

If you alter this in BBEdit is should work.

Secondly to set up the headers in the when editing the file in Accordance then clicking in the space on the left will add a 'T' which is Header 1. To add a header 2 'under' the top level header then you option-click in the space.
Once you have a header level 2 then if you option-click on the next header line then that will be the same as the previous header (i.e. header level 2). So to create an initial header level 3 you option-click once in the space then option-click again in the space.

When you option-click on the next header below that it will then be the same as the previous header which is this case is now header 3.

If you want to go back up a header class then you shift-option-click.

That was all a bit complicated so the following are the rules:

Click = Top level header
Once you have a top level header then option-click will create header level 2.
After that option-click on any further header will create header level 2.
To go down a level you option-click again on the header line. Once you have done that then option-click will create a header at the level of the previous header in the document.

Click will create a Top level header again. And then you go through the same process.

I hope that made some sense. Once you get the hang of it then it is quite straight forward.

However once you have done that if you want the headers to be distinctive (e.g. bold or a larger font size) then you will need to update each header accordingly.
Edited by Steve King
  • Like 1

Steve,

You are amazing. Everything worked like a charm. The information you gave me in your last post is exactly what I needed!!!

God bless you and thank you!!

HI Tim,

Glad to be of help

God Bless

Steve