comprehensive cross ref conundrum

dlrude

I am confused.

My confusion started when I noticed that when I used comprehensive cross references it did not hyperlink to books that I have and are part of various apostolic fathers modules that I have.

I started searching the forum to see what others do about this especially because I think that Helen Brown offered a solution to this once and I wanted to find it.

Well one additional thing came to mind as I read the posts. That is there are other Clontz cross reference modules that would be helpful if they were added in parallel while using comp. cross ref.

However when I tried to do that I noticed that they are listed in the library as cross references but do not show up in that category when I attempt to add a parallel module (see attached screen shot). So I cannot add them.

So now I have 3 questions;

1) Why do they not show up and how do I fix that?

2) Why doesn't Clontz comp. cross ref. hyperlink to the other Clontz cross ref. modules (that seems like be standard operating procedure)?

3) Is there some way to make comprehensive cross references it does not hyperlink to books that I have and are part of various apostolic fathers modules that I have?

Thanks, Dave R

post-32900-0-16538600-1524493147_thumb.jpg

Edited by dlrude

For #2 and #3 can you give me a specific example of a case where you think one Comprehensive Crossrefs module should be linked to another, and also a link that you think is missing?

If you are referring to Church Fathers (e.g. Augustine), those links are not included because our edition of CF (Schaff) does not index the writings in a manner that we can accurately link to. 

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the fast response.

Regarding the fathers that I had in mind I attached a screen shot of their listing in my library. Does that help?

Additionally regarding #1 I don't understand why the list of cross reference modules in the library is different than that of the one visible under the add parallel button. See attached screen shot.

Regarding your question about #2 and #3, well in trying to make and example I dig myself a deeper hole :-).

I don't see any beneficial synchronism as i look deeper into it. The links that do pop up are to relevant other texts that I own even with Clontz.

I would still like to put some of the Clontz modules in parallel with a bible text, is that even possible I wonder about that now?

Lastly, what do I change so that when I hover of a text reference like 1 Clement 2.4 I get the Lightfoot English translation instead of Greek?

Thanks, Dave R

post-32900-0-06808500-1524516828_thumb.jpg

post-32900-0-88640900-1524517189_thumb.jpg

I'll let rick deal with the other questions because he actually knows something! But the final question you should be able to set in preferences in tool display.

post-29509-0-49879200-1524521941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the fast response.

Regarding the fathers that I had in mind I attached a screen shot of their listing in my library. Does that help?

Additionally regarding #1 I don't understand why the list of cross reference modules in the library is different than that of the one visible under the add parallel button. See attached screen shot.

Regarding your question about #2 and #3, well in trying to make and example I dig myself a deeper hole :-).

I don't see any beneficial synchronism as i look deeper into it. The links that do pop up are to relevant other texts that I own even with Clontz.

I would still like to put some of the Clontz modules in parallel with a bible text, is that even possible I wonder about that now?

Lastly, what do I change so that when I hover of a text reference like 1 Clement 2.4 I get the Lightfoot English translation instead of Greek?

Thanks, Dave R

When you use the 'Add Parallel' button it will only display modules capable of being displayed in parallel with the text. In this case it is a Bible text so it only displays modules that are organized according to biblical reference. 

The additional modules in this collection were divided up according to the various corpora available in Accordance, e.g. Josephus, Philo, Apostolic Fathers, with a reverse cross-referencing system (i.e. from that corpus to the Bible). The user-experience in mind here is to be studying that corpus in particular and then be able to see possible cross-references to the Bible. The main Comprehensive Crossrefs module goes from the Bible to the secondary literature.

As for the text displayed in Instant Details, this is not a preference setting in this case, but is dependent on the order of the modules in the Library. If you move an AF English translation higher up in the Library order, it will display first. Accordance looks for a module within an array of valid installed modules and displays the first one it finds.

I hope this helps…

Yes, this helped, thanks.

I was thinking as if cross-references worked full duplex sort of in both directions but that's just not the way it works.

My bad.

Thanks, Dave R