Create A Special Copy Of A Text For Markup?

JohnABarnett

Is it possible to duplicate a text in order to create a special "markup" copy of that text?

I've never really used markup for even my physical Bible. Markup was cool in my early teens, but once I got in my mid-teens I felt that for me (not necessarily others) markups were more a distraction from reading the text as it is.

But watching Dr. J's recent podcast on the Ethiopian eunuch made me realize how valuable markup can be for analysis and teaching.

One could, I'm sure, turn markup on and off, but can you see simultaneously, side-by-side a text in both marked and unmarked format? 

• Like 1

I would think you could just not show your highlight file. No need for special markup copy.

Bob

• Like 1

The highlight file currently on affects all workspaces. You cannot have two highlight files on at the same time or it only associated with one current version of a text. However as long as you do not do verse highlighting then the following would work.

If your main bible has a tagged version and a non-tagged version then you could highlight one and not the other. If you highlight a verse (rather than a part of a verse) then it affects all bible texts so that would appear in both versions you have open. However it will work otherwise - see my example of the ESV where I have highlighted the 'ESV with Strongs' but it does not show in the ESV.

post-30494-0-15245700-1524926191_thumb.png

If you underline whole verses then you would get the following and there would be no differentiation.

post-30494-0-45514300-1524926597_thumb.png

Edited by Steve King

I would think you could just not show your highlight file. No need for special markup copy.

Bob

Right, but the question was one of showing marked and unmarked side by side. Thanks Bob.

The highlight file currently on affects all workspaces. You cannot have two highlight files on at the same time or it only associated with one current version of a text. However as long as you do not do verse highlighting then the following would work.

If your main bible has a tagged version and a non-tagged version then you could highlight one and not the other. If you highlight a verse (rather than a part of a verse) then it affects all bible texts so that would appear in both versions you have open. However it will work otherwise - see my example of the ESV where I have highlighted the 'ESV with Strongs' but it does not show in the ESV.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-04-28 at 15.40.07.png

If you underline whole verses then you would get the following and there would be no differentiation.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-04-28 at 15.46.08.png

That'll fly, at least for texts that have two options. Thanks, Steve.

John, don't forget that showing highlights is also a display choice.  You could mark up your text, but on one tab go to Set Text Display (Cmd-T) -> Advanced -> Hide Word Highlighting (or verse).  This way you can have a clean text for reading, identical to one you are marking up.Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 7.11.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-29 at 7.12.25 AM.png

• Like 1

Joel,

Good to know. Thanks.

Bob

Hi Joel,

That is a great tip. Did not realise that option was available. Also has an option for suppressing verse highlighting on that text so allows completely 'clean' version of the same text in parallel.

Steve

John, don't forget that showing highlights is also a display choice.  You could mark up your text, but on one tab go to Set Text Display (Cmd-T) -> Advanced -> Hide Word Highlighting (or verse).  This way you can have a clean text for reading, identical to one you are marking up.attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-04-29 at 7.11.41 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-04-29 at 7.12.25 AM.png

Super! Thanks Joel!

Just tested it. Works great.

Edited by JohnABarnett