Accordance needs a proper synchronisation process to avoid data loss

Ιακοβ

I just added dropbox on my iPad (a blank new Dropbox account), my iPad had a mobile notes file and did a sync. Then I added dropbox onto my desktop app, and I had a desktop notes file with a different name and did a sync. After syncing my notes and highlights from the desktop app (which was most of my notes).

I am not sure what has happened. I have bouts of feeling, I should use the "User notes" feature more, it seems helpful. And bouts where I want to keep my files separate. I believe this instance has settled the matter for me. It seems best that users avoid any feature in Accordance that could be impacted by synchronisation. Especially if you feel like your user notes have any value what so ever.  :angry:

(And before anyone tells me that I can undelete drop box files, I have already checked, dropbox indicates that there are literally 0 deleted files in this new blank dropbox account.)

Interestingly, I went in to see if I can restore the file from my apple time machine, but it turns out the file is there, just not appearing in accordance after the sync.

post-33292-0-96680000-1525157182_thumb.png

So I got the files back by restarting accordance a third time. So then I tried to merge the mobile and desktop file, but now there is no content in the notes file at all! I was able to quite accordance and use dropbox to restore the pre-merge status. 

Although Accordance is BY FAR my favorite Bible app I am NOT a huge fan of the Dropbox thing! I have had numerous “glitches” with Dropbox but I have always been able to recover. I do however use the User Notes feature and have adjusted my thinking to make it all work. Currently I save my Accordance folder on my desktop from time to time to prevent data loss. That has saved me many times.

Bob

• Like 2

Yes, Accordance really is super awesome, and is my favourite bible app. I was just getting super frustrated with trying to make it work and got quite a scare about loosing my data)

(I swing between wanting to use User Notes, and using latex/bibtex to generate neat/standardised commentary style PDF files, its back to latex for me for a little while) 

Hi Ιακοβ,

I sent you a private message about making contact.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. After using the merge feature, when the notes all disappeared,  I was able to sign in to drop box and revert back to the two original (pre-merge) separate files (aka back to the original desktop one, and the mobile one). So I have the original data back.

However, just for feedback. On disk I now have both files on my laptop. however the mobile one does not appear in my "User notes" list on the desktop app, just in Finder.  (that is even after restarting accordance this morning).

Wait, now the mobile one is back in the "User Notes" menu again. Hmmm... 

Edited by Ιακοβ