Bible Speaks Today

Lance

As just advised on another Accordance forum, it's awesome to know that the Bible Speaks Today (OT) is now finally available for Accordance. I've just bought it.

This raises a technical question. Not sure whether this constitutes a feature request?? Would it be possible for BST OT & NT to now be consolidated as a single resource? I ask for one small practical reason: In my default Accordance workspace, I have a panel on the right with a set of tabs for my favourite commentary series'. One of them is BST. But it's BST NT only, since that's all we've had until now. So if I were working on an OT passage, I'd need to open a separate tab for BST OT. It would be a lot more efficient, not to mention intuitive, if "BST" was .. um, well BST ;), so it would open to match whatever passage one were reading, whether OT or NT.

Thanks.

I have not checked yet but you can link them like other sets to automatically flow from OT to NT in a work space. I am tired and not thinking of the proper term but come morning if someone else hasn’t helped you I will check into the linking.

-dan

• Like 1

Many thanks, Daniel.

Yes, you can make a Combined Tool for use in parallel with any search text. With the BST OT added in parallel to your search text, click on the Combined Tool icon (it looks like two overlapping squares). Choose Add an additional tool: Bible Speaks Today (NT). 

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-01%20at%201.44.2

Then, if you want to make it a permanent, click on the Combined Tool icon again and choose Save this Combined Tool.

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-01%20at%201.45.4

You can also change the name of the Combined Tool. Click on the icon again, and choose Manage Combined Resources. I changed the name of mine to “BST OT + NT."

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-01%20at%201.46.3

• Like 1

Many thanks Rick. I still have some confusion, though. "Combined resources / tools" is a new concept for me, so I probably have quite a way to go grasping it.

I've followed your instructions, and I now duly have the desired BST combined resource. What I'd now like to know is whether I can access it somewhere other than in the same pane as the search text. My workspace has one pane "Mixed" on the left with a couple of parallel texts, and one pane "Tools" on the right with several commentaries in tabs. My existing BST-NT is one of the resources in that right-side pane. The combined tool icon doesn't appear on anything in that pane.

So my new combined tool is in my texts pane. I'd like it to be in my tools pane instead. But I can't see a way to get it there. I've tried dragging it from one pane to the other, but that doesn't seem to work. And it doesn't seem to be available in any menu if I'm creating or editing a tab in the tools pane. 

I'm probably missing something basic (and I'm certainly no Accordance power user). Help please ...?

The combined resource can at present only be used in a parallel pane of a Search tab. It cannot be searched.

You could open a Search tab, add your BST in parallel and close the Bible pane. This tab could be set to display all text (*) and tied to your main search tab so it would scroll in sync. It can of course be moved to the Tools zone which would automatically rename itself "Mixed."

• Like 4

You could open a Search tab, add your BST in parallel and close the Bible pane. This tab could be set to display all text (*) and tied to your main search tab so it would scroll in sync. It can of course be moved to the Tools zone which would automatically rename itself "Mixed."

Thank you!  I would not have thought to do this.  This acts just like a single commentary tied to the text tab, just like the other commentaries in that zone.  Since I can save the workspace, I only need to do this once.

(Now, I just have to bookmark this page for the time when I need to do it again...)

• Like 1

Thanks Rick for illustrating the combined feature so well.

-dan

• Like 1

Thanks Rick for illustrating the combined feature so well.

Thanks. If I have time, maybe I can make a short little “how to” video this week.

• Like 1

The combined resource can at present only be used in a parallel pane of a Search tab. It cannot be searched.

Thanks Helen. I've got that now.

Edited by Lance

I think I'd still like to ask my original question, all the same. Can the OT & NT "halves" of BST be combined into a single resource? The combined tool is a good workaround, but it's not very intuitive for an average bear like me  ;) . I notice for instance that I have the Tyndale commentary as a single resource "Tyndale Commentary (Complete)". Could that be done for BST too?

• Like 2

I think I'd still like to ask my original question, all the same. Can the OT & NT "halves" of BST be combined into a single resource? The combined tool is a good workaround, but it's not very intuitive for an average bear like me  ;) . I notice for instance that I have the Tyndale commentary as a single resource "Tyndale Commentary (Complete)". Could that be done for BST too?

Makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

This would be useful and the same could be said for all the major commentary sets.

Also, small point - is it possible to update the cover art for the BST NT to match the current BST NT covers and to bring it in line with the BST OT? It would make the instant details pane and library more up to date if the current cover art is used.

• Like 2

Not only do combined OT/NT sees take up less visual space in the library, they also take one less valuable quick keyboard shortcut (that is if you want them prioritised as favourite commentaries like I do)

• Like 2