Searching for Inflected Verb Forms Occurring More than 100x

Benjamin Noonan

I am a relatively new user of Accordance and have been using Accordance to create vocabulary lists. What I need help with, generally speaking, is having Accordance find all inflected forms that occur more than a specific frequency. Specifically, I'm trying to search for all inflected verb forms (e.g., וַיֹּאמֶר) that occur more than 100x in the Hebrew Bible. I'm not interested in finding specific lexemes or roots; I want to find inflected/conjugated verbal forms.

I thought I could do this by using the search string [VERB]@[COUNT 99+ =i]. However, this doesn't seem to do the trick. Among the results are inflected forms that occur less than 100x, and the inflected forms that do occur more than 100x have the wrong frequency associated with them. Can someone help me out in how to carry out this search?

Hello

Maybe there is a more elegant way. But I would use ‎[COUNT 100-1000000]‏ @‎[Verb]‏ 

as search. Then open Analytics -> Analysis tip in the Analysis Pane and with control-T (not sure on Mac it is command-T, try out) or right click, till  post-32723-0-62715200-1525977582_thumb.png comes. Drag "Inflect" in the first column which stands for the firs word and right above filter both by count.

Now the inflected forms should be in the Analysis from here you can copy it to ....

• Like 1

bjnoonan,

This is a great question.  Let me break down your search and explain what results you are getting.  First, you are searching for [COUNT 99+ =i].  This is searching for words that occur 99 times or more (not "over 100", as your post had specified - that would be a search for 101+).  By specifying =i, you are correctly saying you want inflected forms that occur 99 times or more.

The second part of your search, [VERB], simply searches for all verbs in the text.

Finally, by combining them with the "@" sign, you are saying - find me all verbs in the text that also occur 99 times or more.  The problem is homographs.  Forms like "אוֹר" occur 124 times in the text, but only 4 times as a VERB.  So, those 4 instances satisfy your requirements.  But, I'm pretty sure this isn't what you want.  You want a list of the verbal forms that occur more than 100 times, yes?

I would recommend doing this with a simple [VERB] search (grab all verbs in the text), and using the Analysis similar to how Fabian suggested to sort by count.  Just run your [VERB] search, open the Analysis tab, and change the menu to Sort: Count Down.  I believe by default the Analysis lists lexical forms, so if you wish to list the inflected forms instead, use the Set Analysis Display dialog.  You can open this using the gear in the top right corner of Analysis, then delete the 'LEX' item in column 1 and drag in INFLECT instead.

I hope this helps!

• Like 2

Fabian and Joel, thanks so much for your guidance, and for so quickly too. Searching as you suggested and sorting the results by Count Down does help me to get the information that I need.

Thanks for your help!

Ben

• Like 1