Original NIV Study Bible Notes

Ιακοβ

From time to time I find myself wanting to go back and check what the study notes on my first study bible said about a particular passage. It's quite impractical to carry that thing around, it would be great to have this available in accordance.

Ιακοβ, Some of us have it in our library, at least the 2002 revised version from 1985.   It was included in one of the original Accordance packages.  I believe it's no longer available, sorry. 

post-5536-0-90609100-1527396540_thumb.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Yes, It doesn't appear when I do an Accordance search, thus I am requesting it.

This an eBay of the suite I mentioned.  Unfortunately it was an old apple script and no longer loads onto modern macs.  There were emulators that could get the modules over and then Accordance would update the license use for your account.  You would need to check with Sales.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-NIV-Study-Bible-Complete-Library-MAC-CD-research-scriptures-commentary-BOX/272827294622?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D35e27650e4574c69a27443af25f54047%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D280621565101%26itm%3D272827294622&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

It’s the reason I started using Accordance. When I switched to Mac I got the Zondervan cd and Accordance 7 was on it.

Here is an old thread

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/22008-niv-study-bible/

Thanks mate, I am one of the participants in those older discussion threads. But they are just general discussions in the general forum. None of them made it into be a proper module requests, (I assume I am not the only person who would want this module available. )

Edited by Ιακοβ

This an eBay of the suite I mentioned.  Unfortunately it was an old apple script and no longer loads onto modern macs.  There were emulators that could get the modules over and then Accordance would update the license use for your account.  You would need to check with Sales.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-NIV-Study-Bible-Complete-Library-MAC-CD-research-scriptures-commentary-BOX/272827294622?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D35e27650e4574c69a27443af25f54047%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D280621565101%26itm%3D272827294622&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Yep, I did purchase a CD of eBay for the old windows mobile handheld thing (predating iPhones) that had the old NIV and the old NIV study bible, but I wasn't able to get the license for the study bible transferred to Accordance after contacting sales. (Im not sure why, perhaps the version I had was the 1985, not the 2002 version, I am just speculating now).

I'd much rather pay "US $53.99" plus $35 in shipping to Accordance than a random eBay seller. $88.99  ($120 or so AUD) seems like just a little too much to pay.

Edited by Ιακοβ

I'd much rather pay "US $53.99" plus $35 in shipping to Accordance than a random eBay seller.

Plus the concerns raised by helen over licensing for cds bought on eBay.

Yes gentlemen, I now remember some the previous problems that were flagged up on previous posts.   I would be very hesitant to buy old eBay modules without any assurances.   Ιακοβ, hopefully Accordance will eventually release it again.

Yes gentlemen, I now remember some the previous problems that were flagged up on previous posts.   I would be very hesitant to buy old eBay modules without any assurances.   Ιακοβ, hopefully Accordance will eventually release it again.

Yep it does seem difficult to do. The NIV study bible product I purchased over eBay (which the seller said was new and unopened), was deemed by Accordance to have had been opened and re-shrink wrapped. (Even though inside the plastic i had to cut a seal with a knife, tip for others that try this: I probably should have videoed the opening of the package)

I was even able to open the box and register the windows mobile version (which I purchased new on eBay) with the actual software company that sold that original product under my own name. (Well technically it is registered with the company that bought out the original company that created the study bible product)

Edited by Ιακοβ

I found the Accordance version is 10000% better than either Zondervan windows cd versions I owned (original and pradis) so hopefully...

• Like 1

I found the Accordance version is 10000% better than either Zondervan windows cd versions I owned (original and pradis) so hopefully...

I imagine it would be.

I guess this is turning out to be one of the main drawbacks of electronic medium. When paper books are printed, people can sell and pass on books whenever and to whomever they want. But with this electronic format they seem to be able to exhibit a lot more control. I wonder if we need some form of government regulation/legislation to bring back the same rights we had with paper books.

(I have no interest in the most recent iteration of the Zondervan Study Bible, I have plenty of commentaries and study bibles already, the only thing I really miss at this point from the Study Bible perspective is being able to reference back to my very first Study bible)

Edited by Ιακοβ

We are usually pretty trusting when our users try to register an old CD purchase with us. However, if bought from another user, we do have to try and check that the original user isn't using and upgrading the same contents that you bought. If you legitimately own an Accordance version of a product, we want to register it to you. We are not trying to be difficult. Indeed, your print study Bible can be passed on easily, but then you no longer have access to it. If you register a CD and then pass it on, you still can access the contents. That is not legal with music, and nor is it legal with software.

• Like 1

Yep, I do respect that you have rules that you need to abide by, so I am not complaining at all, I am more than happy to buy the NIV 1985/2002 study bible—thats the whole reason I am putting in a module request for it.

But for the record, regarding the above link to the thread about a crossgrade from a non-Accordance product. When I purchased my CD of the NIV Study Bible from eBay it was sold as brand new, I asked the seller specifically and they confirmed it was brand new, it came wrapped in plastic (Plastic added by seller or by vendor I am not sure) and inside that plastic wrapper, the DVD shaped box itself was also sealed with serrated plastic in a way that it would not have been possible to anyone to reseal it.  (I had to use a kitchen knife to open the inner seal). This is why I am recommending for anyone else who tries to buy of eBay in order to get a crossgrade, also gets a video of themselves opening the package to be extra sure that it is possible to prove that it was purchased new. (I assume the word of the seller is not enough to verify that it has never been used)

post-33292-0-37134300-1527477155_thumb.png

post-33292-0-46576300-1527477419_thumb.png

Edited by Ιακοβ

If you register a CD and then pass it on, you still can access the contents. That is not legal with music, and nor is it legal with software.

Yes, I understand. To be clear I am not talking about accordance now, but digital rights in general.  What I mean is,  I suspect that eventually people are going to start asking why their music, and books and other digital products cannot be passed on to family members when they die or can't sold in the way physical products are. In Kindle, for example, I can't even copy the text from a page in a book. Why can't I share that book with my wife or pass it on to my children? It doesn't seem reasonable.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2012/sep/03/bruce-willis-v-apple-owns-music-ipod

Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 1

Yes, I understand. To be clear I am not talking about accordance now, but digital rights in general.  What I mean is,  I suspect that eventually people are going to start asking why their music, and books and other digital products cannot be passed on to family members when they die or can't sold in the way physical products are. In Kindle, for example, I can't even copy the text from a page in a book. Why can't I share that book with my wife or pass it on to my children? It doesn't seem reasonable.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2012/sep/03/bruce-willis-v-apple-owns-music-ipod

That linked article is pretty old. Most of these issues are being worked out over time. Amazon has family sharing. Accordance allows for transferring of licenses. Most companies that offer digital content have some kind of way to transfer content now. If nothing else, make certain an heir has your login and password before you pass on. As long as an account is active, content could be accessed.

I don’t understand what you mean about not being able to copy content from a page in a Kindle title. I do it all the time.

"Dikmen’s wife appears moments later with Turkish coffee and a dish of baklava. Turkish coffee is traditionally prepared in a cezve, a coffeepot with a long handle made out of brass or copper large enough to hold two demitasse cups of coffee. Water mixed with coffee, and sugar if desired, is heated in the cezve and removed just before it is brought to a boil. A creamy layer of froth called kaimaki is divided between the two demitasse cups, and the coffee is brought to a boil."

The Icon Hunter by Tasoula Hadjitof (Kindle edition)

Have you looked into what people like Legacy Locker and so on are doing ? There is a bunch of legal stuff being done on this in various places too. Social (FB and others) websites are doing more in this way also. But you do read of fraught legal battles by next of kin to obtain posthumous access to digital assets of the deceased. But people are actively working on it. I don't know if I've heard anything much on the idea of erasing digital assets at death but that could be codified in wills and subject to any legal holds on the data should be doable technically. Crypto-currencies and similar blockchain stuff I'm not sure - in theory it's the same legally and blockchain sounds conceptually a good fit but the way the tech works (and its essentially decentralised trust model) I'm not sure it's easy to do. You would need to transfer to new keys and re-push to the chain. I've not read anything on that - must look sometime.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Yep, blockchain would be an ideal technical tool to facilitate/implement a solution to the problem, but that really is subordinate to the legislative issues. I would say legislation is the real issue, because I can't imagine any scenario which would cause publishers to willingly give up the ability to require every generation to re-purchase every resource (rather than pass it on like you would a book).

The only other (non legislative) path I can see to solve the issue, is some sort of technical solution that is so good that customers and content producers are drawn to it so strongly, that publishers are for the most part cut out of the chain.

Edited by Ιακοβ