text criticism Hebrew Deut 32

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

The latest podcast is pretty technical—and requires at least a basic knowledge of Hebrew. It's a study of the textual variants in Deut 32:34-35, an ages-old debate between Samaritans and Jews. Does the text prophecy a coming Day of Judgement? Or is it a more general promise that "God will avenge" his people? Join Dr. J as he surveys the various texts that support each reading: the Massoretic Text, the Samaritan Pentateuch, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Syriac Peshitta, the Septuagint, the Greek New Testament, the Old Latin Versions, and the Latin Vulgate.

Link: https://vimeo.com/272203775

Attached File  165 Hebrew Text Criticism.001.jpeg   107.8KB   1 downloads 

• R. Mansfield, Stefan Green, Randy Cue and 2 others like this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#2 JohnABarnett

JohnABarnett

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Biblical studies
    History and music
    τα παντα
  • Platforms:Windows, iOS

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

Great video showing how to use these tools.

• Timothy Jenney likes this

PC, WIndows 10

Primary Interest: Original Language Exegetical Work

#3 Randy Cue

Randy Cue

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:Teaching adult Sunday School, baseball
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

Thanks Dr. J. Even though I don't know Hebrew, I could follow the lesson and understand the controversies. I now know that I can use my Accordance library to search through these difficult passages.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

21.5 inch iMac (late 2015)

OSX Mojave 10.14.4

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks, Randy!

I was hoping interested people who didn't know Hebrew could follow the argument. I appreciate the confirmation.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13

#5 Randy Cue

Randy Cue

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:Teaching adult Sunday School, baseball

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

Although I never studied Hebrew, my brother-in-law, Dr. Douglas J. Culver, was professor of Hebrew at Erskine Theological Seminary until his death in 2007. I'm sure Doug would have approved of your work.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

21.5 inch iMac (late 2015)

OSX Mojave 10.14.4

#6 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:01 AM

I also find it useful to see other Accordance resources, like bhs, that I don’t own, not only in use, but also so I can make an informed descision about getting them and if I did, what other ones I would need as well as how I could use them.

Please keep setting us aflame!

;o)
Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#7 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

Thanks, Fraser!

I admit I'm spoiled. Since I produce these podcasts, I have access to all of Accordance's resources. Now, there are a lot of secondary resources (commentaries and such) I could do without, but having all these original languages texts is sheer joy. I've taken Hebrew, Greek and a bit of Aramaic and Akkadian, but neither Syriac or Latin. I'm amazed at just how much I can get out of tagged texts when I don't know the language—and how much I miss the tagging when it is absent (e.g. Vetus Latina). Even then, Accordance helped me by finding similar words in the Latin Vulgate, which is tagged, and amplifying them to Smith and Short's Latin lexicon.

I think I had more fun producing this podcast than any other project I've completed in my ten years at Accordance.

• ukfraser and Fabian like this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#8 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

This podcast still is not appearing on the iTunes feed for some reason.

:(

Michael
Accordance on Macintosh, iPhone, and iPad

#9 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

I first saw it (and the previous study bible one) with a link at the bottom of the weekly email.
Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#10 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,286 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; exploring in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

I’ll look into it. 

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#11 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,286 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; exploring in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

I made a mistake in the settings when I posted it. It might take a few minutes, but it should appear tonight in iTunes. Thanks for letting us know!

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#12 NicholasMajors

NicholasMajors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

I appreciate your videos over the years for they have helped me to navigate Accordance with ease.  I am pursuing my Ph.D. in Old Testament and I recently bought the Greek Codex add on, but was truly disappointed that there is no OT text in them.  Does Accordance plan to add these?  It is pretty essential for textual criticism to have these manuscripts and texts to evaluate different readings.  

• Fabian likes this

Nicholas Majors

PhD Old Testament Midwestern Seminary

#13 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

In case it's of use to you there is a user bible of the Sinaiticus containing both OT and NT on the exchange : http://www.accordanc...xSinaiticus.zip. Of course it has the limitations of a UB (no morph tagging etc) but the text is there.

But otherwise I agree, this material would be great to have.

Thx

D

• Fabian and NicholasMajors like this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#14 NicholasMajors

NicholasMajors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  Is there other manuscripts available in the open format such as Vat or Alex?

Nicholas Majors

PhD Old Testament Midwestern Seminary

#15 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

I don't know of any online source of either the VAT or Alex, but it's been a while since I checked. Well, strictly that's not true - there is https://digi.vatlib....MSS_Vat.gr.1209but it's got no transcription that I know of. Alex is at http://www.csntm.org...ript/View/GA_02 and I haven't checked much for a transcription. The Sinaiticus is online at the British Library (http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/project/transcription.aspx) and is fully open. It's in a slightly modified TEI format.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#16 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:08 PM

I don't know of any online source of either the VAT or Alex, but it's been a while since I checked. Well, strictly that's not true - there is https://digi.vatlib....MSS_Vat.gr.1209but it's got no transcription that I know of. Alex is at http://www.csntm.org...ript/View/GA_02 and I haven't checked much for a transcription. The Sinaiticus is online at the British Library (http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/project/transcription.aspx) and is fully open. It's in a slightly modified TEI format.

Thx

D

You can also find the Allepo Codex which is fully viewable online. Just google it and it should come right up. Also the Leon Levy database of the Dead Sea Scrolls will be of use

Cheers,

Matt C

#17 jarcher

jarcher

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:41 AM

That was an absolutely fantastic podcast!

• R. Mansfield and Timothy Jenney like this

#18 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

Thanks!

Considering writing it up for submission to a peer-reviewed journal, but haven't yet found the time.

• MattChristian likes this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#19 Jesse D

Jesse D

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Currently, I am interested in what makes up man according to the bible. I have a fairly robust understanding of man according to personality by way of Typology. I also have a passion for heavy Christian music such as Demon Hunter. God is good.
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

Whoah. That was super cool.

New music I am interested in:

https://youtu.be/Y-ZiJmDOk2c - Matisyahu, Produces Reggae and Pop music as a practicing Jew. His song "One Day" talks about peace between the world at large

https://youtu.be/44S6vBveKZQ - Demon Hunter, Traditional Christian Metal/Rock band who just came out with 2 very successful albums, separately, titled 'War' & 'Peace'

https://youtu.be/R7REkjcwM_8- POD (Payable On Death), Positive Nu-Metal/Rock/Reggae band that gained popularity when they came out with "Alive" and "Youth of the Nation" off the album 'Satellite' which released 9/11/2001

https://youtu.be/Bz-g2tucn24- Project 86, Post-Hardcore Christian band. Andrew Schwab, the front man of the band runs a podcast (which I support through Patreon) dedicated to helping other creatives find their voice.

See my YouTube channel, and it's purpose! I am pretty underground now, but I think I am going to make it!

https://www.youtube....og8xbPfEWXFUiQ?

As I see John 6:29:

Joshua replied to all of them, "In me is the Work of God, in order that you [all] trust that I will send you."

Jesus started His ministry as a commandment of God through His mother, whom he obeyed, to urged Him to begin His ministry. What transpires from that is Him as the greatest light of the world that ever was and ever will be. As a representation of this, he did a miracle and from six pots of water He made into wine that represents humanity at large. He made the wine into the best tasting wine as a representation of what He does for those of us who believe He was God and did the Work of God so that He might send out His Spirit upon the whole world.

#20 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

Thanks!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: text criticism, Hebrew, Deut 32

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users