• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,343 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

We were saddened to hear late last week that BibleWorks will cease commercial operations on June 15. In response to BibleWorks users contacting us to inquire about their options with Accordance, we have put together several extremely low-cost BIBLEWORKS CROSSOVER PACKAGES for Accordance. 

Please help us spread the word to your friends and colleagues who use BibleWorks. Please remind them that Accordance Bible Software is available natively for Windows, Macintosh, Android, and iOS.

• preterist1, jarcher, Julia Falling and 2 others like this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#2 jarcher

jarcher

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Wow. Those are incredibly good deals.
  • R. Mansfield and Michel Gilbert like this

#3 Solly

Solly

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Far too many for my own good! ;-)

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Thank you OakTree for working rapidly and effectively to provide a pathway for BibleWorks users to transition to Accordance. Transition in software is always frustrating, but the offers the OakTree team created are very balanced and very reasonably priced, in my perspective.

Thank you for stepping in and providing a pathway for BibleWorks users.

Joseph

• Mark Allison, R. Mansfield, preterist1 and 2 others like this

Joseph F Sollenberger, Jr

#4 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

The Basic Package is offered to BW owners “who are purchasing Accordance for the first time.” I wonder if Accordance would make the same offer to BW users who bought the Basic Starter Package in Accordance for the sole purpose of obtaining a commentary set or some other module with full functionality, and not for the purpose of eventually crossing over to Accordance.

I’m not asking this for myself, I own the Original Languages and Essentials Collections and other modules. And, I don’t want to put Acc on the spot. It is just a thought that you might discuss privately. But I do know someone who might be enticed by this, and there must be others. In fact, I myself bought the OL Collection for the Syntax Databases, without intending to cross over. But exposure to the benefits of the program have led to more purchases, and a slow but sure migration towards Acc and away from BW and L. If Acc offered a user lexicon, I would eventually cross over entirely.

Regards,

Michel

#5 gugu009

gugu009

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

would be a good idea to put this crossover offer on the frontpage of your website so bibleworks user can see it

Edited by gugu009, 04 June 2018 - 06:21 PM.

• R. Mansfield and Julia Falling like this

#6 EricC

EricC

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:37 PM

… If Acc offered a user lexicon, …

That would be great! (I guess I hijacked the thread.)

• Michael Miles and Fabian like this

#7 Donald Cobb

Donald Cobb

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

Hi,

The Basic Package is offered to BW owners “who are purchasing Accordance for the first time.” I wonder if Accordance would make the same offer to BW users who bought the Basic Starter Package in Accordance for the sole purpose of obtaining a commentary set or some other module with full functionality, and not for the purpose of eventually crossing over to Accordance.

I’m not asking this for myself, I own the Original Languages and Essentials Collections and other modules. And, I don’t want to put Acc on the spot. It is just a thought that you might discuss privately. But I do know someone who might be enticed by this, and there must be others. In fact, I myself bought the OL Collection for the Syntax Databases, without intending to cross over. But exposure to the benefits of the program have led to more purchases, and a slow but sure migration towards Acc and away from BW and L. If Acc offered a user lexicon, I would eventually cross over entirely.

Regards,

Michel

I would ditto Michel's request for not limiting the offer to those buying Accordance for the first time. I have been a BW user since 1997, and have been using Accordance for a few years, gradually building on to it. But BW has remained my go-to program. Much of this has to do with the additional ressources BW offered. Is there wiggle room on this?

Don Cobb

Aix-en-Provence, France

#8 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Twitter:mcyklist
  • Location:EU. Inter/multidisciplinary humanities such as History of Ideas, Ethics for divorced men; singing; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:On the laptop 11.2.5 loads my books, uses slightly less battery than 12. 11 had a great Info Pane, partial download of Collections had already become possible, settings for text preferences suffice, library sorting, Research. I have a few extra Accordance 12.3.6 (and for Accordance Android 1.5 which is really GREAT, and it is also for Accordance iPad 3.x) licenses to gift
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:27 AM

I agree, Don!: Perhaps an offer could be set up just as a small bundle of whichever of these modules that can on OakTree's part be discounted by the publishers a bit on a short notice:
BHS-T
BHS-W4
UBS or NA, either one, any Edition
CHALOT
Concise DCH
Louw-Nida
Barclay-Newman 2010 revision.
I.e. what I mean: A bundle of just one Hebrew Bible, one Greek New Testament, and one lexicon per language. It would not need to include a Collection i think. Requirement: Just to have had ownership until today of some even somewhat recent version of BW, much like how You've outliend the currenct transition offer.
That would be very rudimentary but leave a feel of not having had to pay full price initially for what having come from:

I would ditto Michel's request for not limiting the offer to those buying Accordance for the first time. I have been a BW user since 1997, and have been using Accordance for a few years, gradually building on to it. But BW has remained my go-to program. Much of this has to do with the additional ressources BW offered. Is there wiggle room on this?

Don Cobb

Aix-en-Provence, France

#9 Donald Cobb

Donald Cobb

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

Hello Unix,

Here's what made BW unbeatable for me: in one base package, you got, not just NA28, the Byzantine NT (and several others), BHS, tons of translations (French, English Latin, and all the other major European languages, plus a host of others), but also:

- Josephus (Greek and English)

- Philo (Greek and English)

- The Apostolic Fathers (Greek and English)

- The Targums

- The CNTTS apparatus

- Tov's OT/LXX comparison module

- Photo facsimiles of Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus, Vaticanus, Washingtonensis, Bezae, Boernerianus, m1141

- Photo facsimiles of the Leningrad codex

- Full transcriptions of the aforementioned codices

At $389, all this made BW an incredible program for the price paid for it. It's these things that are disappearing from the base package of a Bible program, and for those who took advantage of them, they will be sorely missed. Perhaps Accordance could consider a crossover sale for BW-Accordance users on these specific modules.

Don Cobb

Aix-en-Provence, France

#10 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:03 AM

- Josephus (Greek and English)
- Philo (Greek and English)
- The Apostolic Fathers (Greek and English)
- The Targums
- The CNTTS apparatus
- Tov's OT/LXX comparison module
- Photo facsimiles of Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus, Vaticanus, Washingtonensis, Bezae, Boernerianus, m1141
- Photo facsimiles of the Leningrad codex
- Full transcriptions of the aforementioned codices

Don
I haven’t done a full comparison but quite a lot of your list appear to be in this crossover package
https://www.accordan...r-Adv 10 add-on
Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#11 Donald Cobb

Donald Cobb

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Don
I haven’t done a full comparison but quite a lot of your list appear to be in this crossover package
https://www.accordan...r-Adv 10 add-on

Absolutely! And that's why I would love for it to be available to those, like me, who have already bought Accordance as a secondary program.  :)

DC

• Michael Miles likes this

#12 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

You can use it on Accordance on 5 devices which was not possible with BW.

Greetings

Fabian
Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

#13 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

Absolutely! And that's why I would love for it to be available to those, like me, who have already bought Accordance as a secondary program.  :)

DC

You can but hope that an upgrade option may be made available.
Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#14 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

You can use it on Accordance on 5 devices which was not possible with BW.

Hi Fabian,

I have it installed on four devices, and I've had it installed on five - all Macs and PCs. The only requirement is one licensed user on one device at a time. See
https://kb.biblework...e-Computer.html

Of course, I see your main point. Acc has the advantage of installing natively on mobile devices too. You have to use remote desktop software on those devices for BW. It is also true that Acc allows light usage by a spouse. This is a clear advantage over BW, and something BW users should also consider.

Regards,

Michel

#15 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,343 posts
  • Interests:Biblical studies & backgrounds; Early Church writings; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

I understand exactly what everyone is saying here. If any BW user is in the situation of having made an Accordance purchase in the past but Accordance was definitely a secondary platform next to BW, please contact our sales staff directly by phone or email. They will work with you. 

• Michael Miles, Unix and Michel Gilbert like this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

#16 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

Btw, I think Acc did a wonderful job on the BW Crossover Package site, displaying the right amount empathy, understanding, integrity regarding the business aspect, and willingness to help.

• R. Mansfield, Alistair, Michael J. Bolesta and 2 others like this

#17 Donald Cobb

Donald Cobb

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

I understand exactly what everyone is saying here. If any BW user is in the situation of having made an Accordance purchase in the past but Accordance was definitely a secondary platform next to BW, please contact our sales staff directly by phone or email. They will work with you. 

Many thanks for the encouragement! I echo Michel's sentiment ("I think Acc did a wonderful job on the BW Crossover Package site, displaying the right amount empathy, understanding, integrity regarding the business aspect, and willingness to help").

And should add that I appreciate the respect that each one of the Accordance employees who has expressed himself over the last few days has shown towards BW. Among the many things I deeply appreciated with the BW team and ethos was the desire to conduct business as disciples of Jesus Christ first and foremost. May their efforts reap rich rewards for the Kingdom—even, and especially, when Kingdom ethics and business practices don't go in the same direction, or have the same end-point.

Don Cobb

Aix-en-Provence, France 

• Alistair, Timothy Jenney and Michel Gilbert like this

#18 jarcher

jarcher

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

Btw, I think Acc did a wonderful job on the BW Crossover Package site, displaying the right amount empathy, understanding, integrity regarding the business aspect, and willingness to help.

Reasons like this is one of the main reasons that I continue to advocate for Accordance (not to say anything about how awesome the application is).

OakTree's staff has continued to demonstrate that they see their business as a ministry first. The extra work they go through on behalf of their customers is incredible. They could easily and often take the easier route that ends up costing their customers time and money but rarely have I seen this happen (if at all).

The offer available to BW users is incredibly good and is not only a good move but is gracious.

Edited by jarcher, 05 June 2018 - 11:37 AM.

• Michel Gilbert likes this

#19 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Thank you all (speaking on behalf of everyone at OakTree here, not just myself) for your kind words. 

Truthfully, I really feel for BW customers (and the others here do as well). Their investment is not just financial but also time in learning and using the software. I was a BW user myself as my primary Bible software platform before switching to the Mac in 1998 (back when BW was Windows-only and Accordance was Mac-only). Although the two programs have plenty of differences, I did believe there was a Bible-centric shared philosophy at the core of both, which made Accordance a natural choice for me when transitioning over. We also feel for the employees at BW, which we do truly count as friends. We always chatted and caught up with each other at conferences and really will miss their presence there. 

• jarcher, Julia Falling and Michel Gilbert like this

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

#20 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

Hi Rick,

I think it might be hard to convince Acc, but I’ll add another perspective.

That is exactly my situation. I have made several Acc purchases, but honestly, they were for the Syntax searches. I bought the Essentials Collection to have a commentary set to attach notes to. Then Acc made the Stuttgart package available. Wonderful. But for me to cross over fully, I would need the Advanced add-on for BW version 10. Why? Simply the overall cost. So, while I would like to make Acc my primary program, without qualifying for the Advanced add-on, I know it will takes me years to replace the programs in that package at regular prices, or even at 20% off. If I would qualify for it, it would help me make Acc my main program, and I would just use BW for the user lexicon and rapid reading, i.e., as my secondary program.

So, my suggestion is, consider making the Advanced add-on package available for BW users who have already purchased most or all of the modules in the Basic package. Add grace upon grace.

Regards,

Michel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users