Purchased Works to PDF

Nickcamp

Hello everyone! 

I searched through the Forums before posting this, and didn't find anything that pertained to this specifically. I guess this suggestion begins with the question; can you download your purchased works as PDFs or EPUB formats? 

I think it would be good and fair for accordance to allow you to download your purchased works in a format that you can retain outside of the program. If you cannot guess, it came to my attention that the possibility of losing everything and all my investment is possible in the event that accordance shuts down. (Bible Works sparked this in my mind). While I hope that accordance never does shut down, I think it would be good and faithful for accordance to allow you to retain what you had invested in. I have had programs shut down out of the blue and I would lose very expensive programs and it is a horrible feeling. While I am investing in the features of accordance, I am also investing in the works that accordance offers, and so it seems reasonable to have this feature available. 

Thoughts? 

I agree it seems fair, but publishers (the copyright holders) generally take a dim view of it. Even if you copy or print to pdf from Accordance, you will be limited by how much can be exported at one time per restrictions from the publishers. One of our competitors had an export to Kindle feature at one time, but they removed it—I only assume because publishers asked them to.

Out of curiosity, not paranoia - what is the installed base of BW compared to Accordance?

Out of curiosity, not paranoia - what is the installed base of BW compared to Accordance?

I don’t believe either company makes those numbers public.

So I’ll have to be content in my ignorance. I know how to do that.

I agree it seems fair, but publishers (the copyright holders) generally take a dim view of it. Even if you copy or print to pdf from Accordance, you will be limited by how much can be exported at one time per restrictions from the publishers. One of our competitors had an export to Kindle feature at one time, but they removed it—I only assume because publishers asked them to.

So ultimately it is up to the publisher themselves? I assume that the publisher doesn't want to offer something like that at the risk of re-sale or sharing their work? Something like that right?  

So ultimately it is up to the publisher themselves? I assume that the publisher doesn't want to offer something like that at the risk of re-sale or sharing their work? Something like that right?

I believe there is a general fear that books will be shared and distributed for free—much like music was in the Napster days way back when. And in truth, that does happen. You can find an illegally scanned copy of just about any book out there, often within a day or so after release for more popular books.

You can find an illegally scanned copy of just about any book out there, often within a day or so after release for more popular books.

"Illegally" depends on the country. Only because something is prohibited in the U.S. doesn't mean it is prohibited everywhere. It doesn't matter what the intro is saying if the law of the country says something different.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

I believe there is a general fear that books will be shared and distributed for free—much like music was in the Napster days way back when. And in truth, that does happen. You can find an illegally scanned copy of just about any book out there, often within a day or so after release for more popular books.

It's understandable. As a consumer investing money in their materials, though, I think it's fair to have those options available if something does happen. I remember losing logic pro and it was just like, "well there goes three hundred bucks just because they came out with a new version." You know? 

So perhaps this is still a feature that can be explored? 

• Like 1

As I have suggested in another thread recently, publishers are always going to try and control as much as they can get away with. The term DRM (Digital Rights Management) is misleading, it really is "publisher restriction management". Rather than providing a protection of consumer rights (such as the ability to sell, lend, or pass on a book)

I suspect that eventually people will either cotton on the problem of these kinds of restrictions (i.e. passing on books to children, etc...) and demand a legislative intervention. Although, if it doesn't happen in the next 10 years, I suspect that we will have crossed the point where the next generation is so used to these types of digital restrictions, they won't know any better, and hence there will not be the sort of public pressure required to put in place some kind of digital rights management that includes the rights of the customer.

• Like 2

Some of the hard copies I have bought have come with pdfs copies, particularly computer and music ones and some publishers make pdfs available as an option to download instead of a hard copy but I haven’t seen it as an option when you buy specifically formatted ebooks like kindle or Apple.

Some of the hard copies I have bought have come with pdfs copies, particularly computer and music ones and some publishers make pdfs available as an option to download instead of a hard copy but I haven’t seen it as an option when you buy specifically formatted ebooks like kindle or Apple.

I think the only hard copy book that I have purchased that came with a PDF was my 1599 Geneva Bible. Honestly, when considering that these are already digital, you would think there wouldn't be much of an issue allowing you to access the entire document behind the format for accordance.