Grammatical search with codes/abbreviations?

Eric J. Tully

Hello,

I'm very interested in purchasing Accordance, but I have a quick question: 

I've been a Bibleworks user for almost 20 years and have always appreciated the ability to learn and then use codes for grammatical tags to make very fast Hebrew and Greek searches.  For example, in the search bar I can type "@qp3ms+S1cs" for a Qal perfect third masculine singular verb with a first common singular object suffix.

Is this possible in Accordance 12?

I watched an Accordance video where the speaker said something like: we won't make you learn codes, instead, you can click through menus and it will add the words into the search for you.

But what if I want to learn codes to make searching faster (since I do a lot of searching)?  Is that a possibility?  I would prefer that to clicking through menus or writing out full searches like [VERB QAL PERFECT] and so forth.  I can't get it to work in Accordance Lite, but I know that a lot of the functionality has been removed from that trial version.

Thank you!

Eric

Eric,

There's no way to use the BibleWorks system of codes, but there is a middle ground between that and using menus or typing the full tags. Accordance will accept abbreviations as long as the abbreviation has enough characters to uniquely identify the tag. So, entering something like this  [VE qal per th m sing] [sUF fi co sing] will perform the search you want. (Note that Accordance uses a separate SUFFIX tag for suffixes.)

Note also that Accordance doesn't care if you put the tags in the "correct" order. Thus, something like this will perform the same search:

[VE qal m per sing th] [sUF sing fi co]

This lack of order specificity is one reason why the abbreviations have to be long enough to identify each tag.

Hope this helps.

Edited by David Lang
  • Like 2

Thank you for your reply!  That's good news and it make sense.  I appreciate your help.

• Like 1

OOOOkay, this is super helpful! I had no idea.

Eric,

There's no way to use the BibleWorks system of codes, but there is a middle ground between that and using menus or typing the full tags. Accordance will accept abbreviations as long as the abbreviation has enough characters to uniquely identify the tag. So, entering something like this  [VE qal per th m sing] [sUF fi co sing] will perform the search you want. (Note that Accordance uses a separate SUFFIX tag for suffixes.)

Note also that Accordance doesn't care if you put the tags in the "correct" order. Thus, something like this will perform the same search:

[VE qal m per sing th] [sUF sing fi co]

This lack of order specificity is one reason why the abbreviations have to be long enough to identify each tag.

Hope this helps.