new Old Testament translation coming out.

Tim Hall

So I was reading through the newest (June 2018) edition of Christianity Today, and I saw an interview with Dr. John Goldingay about his new translation of the Old Testament. My immediate thought was ... Accordance needs to have this. Then I saw that it is published by IVP Academic, and I thought ... yes, Accordance has a great relationship with IVP. This might actually happen.

I would love to have this version of the TANAKH, in Accordance because Goldingay has deliberately tried to maintain a formal equivalent approach to his translation including things like–transliterating names, including transliteration in the text to show connection, e.g. Genesis 2.7, "Yahweh God shaped a human person [Adam] with earth form the ground [adamah] and blew into its nostrils living breath..." (CT interview with Goldingay).

IVP Academic has a page on it here: https://www.ivpress.com/the-first-testament It is scheduled to come out in September of 2018.

Goldingay has titled his translation The First Testament.

Here are some sample verses:

“Yahweh said to Abram, ‘Get yourself from your country, from your homeland, and from your father’s household, to the country that I shall enable you to see, and I shall make you into a big nation. I shall bless you and make your name big and you’ll become a blessing." (Gen. 12:1-2)

“Hey, you who wish 
for Yahweh’s day. 
What good really is Yahweh’s day to you?— 
it will be darkness, not light.”
 (Amos 5:18)

“My shepherd being Yahweh, I don’t lack; 
he enables me to lie down in grassy pastures. 
He leads me to settled water; 
he turns my life back.”
 (Ps 23:1-3)

Edited by Timothy Hall
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Also it should be noted that the majority of it is already in Accordance as it is a completion of his translation done for  OLD TESTAMENT FOR EVERYONE (17 VOLUMES) (GOLDINGAY).  Although it is not 100% complete there because in a few places he has excised parts of  the text (replaced with summary ) assumed for keeping page count in the commentary down to size requested for the scope of the series... Example:

LEVITICUS 1:1–2:16
Giving to God

1Yahweh called to Moses and spoke to him from the meeting tent: 2“Speak to the Israelites and say to them, ‘When one of you presents an offering of livestock to Yahweh, you may present your offering from the herd or from the flock.
   3“‘If his offering is a burnt offering from the herd, he is to present a whole male. He is to present it at the doorway of the meeting tent so he may find acceptance before Yahweh. 4He is to put his hand on the head of the burnt offering so that it may be acceptable for him, in making expiation for him. 5He is to slaughter the animal before Yahweh, and Aaron’s sons, the priests, are to present the blood and cast the blood over the altar at the doorway of the meeting tent, all round. 6He is to skin the burnt offering and cut it into its parts. 7The sons of Aaron the priest are to put fire on the altar and arrange wood on the fire, 8and Aaron’s sons, the priests, are to arrange the parts, with the head and the suet, on the wood that is on the fire on the altar. 9He is to wash its innards and its legs in water and the priest is to turn the whole into smoke at the altar as a burnt offering, a gift, a nice smell, for Yahweh.
   10“‘If his offering is from the flock, from the sheep or the goats, as a burnt offering, he is to present a whole male. 11He is to slaughter it on the side of the altar to the north before Yahweh, and the sons of Aaron, the priests, are to cast its blood over the altar, all round. 12He is to cut it into its parts, and with the head and the suet the priest is to arrange them on the wood that is on the fire on the altar. 13He is to wash the innards and legs with water and the priest is to present the whole and turn it into smoke at the altar. It is a burnt offering, a gift, a nice smell, for Yahweh.’”

[Leviticus 1:14–2:16 gives equivalent instructions for offering a dove or pigeon, and for the grain offering.]

John Goldingay, Exodus and Leviticus for Everyone, vol. 3 of Old Testament for Everyone. Accordance electronic ed. (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2010), 129-130.

-dan

Makes sense to have this alongside the Goldingay OT commentary.

• Like 1

Alistair,

the sister nt set by Tom wright of the for everyone commentaries includes a translation of the book by Tom. the whole of his translation of the nt has been published as a stand-alone volume but I don’t think (I’m happy to be proved wrong) that that is included in Accordance other than if you get the commentary set.

https://spckpublishing.co.uk/the-new-testament-for-everyone

So There is no guarantee goldingay’s ot Translation will be included automatically as a stand alone translation of just the ot outside of the commentaries. So people interested need to plus one this.

Edited by ukfraser

Fraser,

At a rough glance both Wright and Goldingay appear to include their own translations of the biblical text embedded within their commentaries.

I do not know if they are entirely complete, however.

If they were, I suppose it would be feasible (albeit time-consuming) to create a user Bible and have that in a parallel window or tab.

I have the NT for Everyone set and was following alongside as a friend was reading from Wright's Kingdom NT. In John 5 I noticed a number, though not many, of places where the translations were different. Mostly glossy, idiomatic kinds of things. I can't say for sure, but I would assume the commentary translations came first and then final editing and tweaks came with the publication of the whole NT.

I would assume something similar would be happening with Goldingay.

• Like 1

If they were, I suppose it would be feasible (albeit time-consuming) to create a user Bible and have that in a parallel window or tab.

The nt is complete. Or we could just ask Accordance to add the published nt (and ot if and when published) to be added to the list of resources they licence, add metadata and put on sale. It’s published by spck so there shouldn’t be any licensing problems. I assume it Depends on how many requests they get to see if it’s worth their effort.

The published nt which was brought out after all the individual commentaries had been completed and published a few years ago. What Graham says makes sense about the tweaks as the description on the publishers site states: ‘The text of the New Testament, drawn from the New Testament for Everyone series,’

Edited by ukfraser

I would likely purchase both volumes if offered by Accordance, but a lower priority on my list... Wonder how long, if ever, before it is released as a one volume "The Bible For Everyone":rolleyes:

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis

interesting Idea Dan.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

I would likely purchase both volumes if offered by Accordance, but a lower priority on my list... Wonder how long, if ever, before it is released as a one volume "The Bible For Everyone":rolleyes:

-dan

I actually have it pre-ordered on Amazon. However, it appears that Amazon has made it currently unavailable. Its still listed as pre-ordered on my order page, but you can't purchase it any more. It is actually called The Bible for Everyone. I'll have to look into what is going on though.

So when doing a websearch there seems to be another book called The Bible for Everyone that is not Christian. The one I pre-ordered is by Tom Wright and Goldingay, but given that Amazon has apparently pulled it, I wonder if there is an issue with the title.

The publishers website still has it listed as coming out on July 19th. Though it is a British company. The bible can still be purchased from the UK amazon website. 

Edited by SimpleTheist
  • Like 1

I learn more from this forum

From the publishers web site

SUMMARY

The Bible for Everyone is the result of a passionate conviction that scripture should be something that everyone can read, understand and enjoy. Two world-renowned biblical scholars and communicators have therefore undertaken a tremendous taskk: to draw together, revise and supplement the translations that appear in their popular For Everyone commentaries, making a rounded, readable and reliable version of the Bible that will prove helpful to people of all religious backgrounds at every stage of their lives.

Broken up into easy-to-read, bite-sized chunks, and including helpful introductions to each biblical book, informative maps and a substantial glossary of key words, here is a new rendering of ancient wisdom that can be read like a novel, studied in sections or used as an aid to daily devotion

https://spckpublishing.co.uk/the-bible-for-everyone

From amazon uk

Book Description

The first translation of the entire (Protestant) Bible, by two world-renowned biblical experts, for over a generation

From the Inside Flap

Praise for John Goldingay's Old Testament:

'While new translations of the Bible are constantly appearing, with the vast majority only offering slight variations, Goldingay's translation offers a fresh alternative, providing a rare glimpse into the language, culture and worldview of ancient Israel.'

David T. Lamb, Professor of Old Testament, Biblical Theological Seminary, Pennsylvania

'John Goldingay's translation is a magisterial work of theology, pastoral insight, and linguistic scholarship . . . I always consult [it] when trying to understand any Old Testament text myself.'

Gordon McConville, Professor of Old Testament Theology, University of Gloucestershire

'The translation is a gift to ordinary readers, offering a window into the Hebrew thought-world, and helping to make that world more accessible.'

Megan Warner, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Theology and Religion, University of Exeter

'We hear the familiar flow of passages we know well, but with unexpected and arresting words that make us pause and think again.'

Christopher J. H. Wright, International Ministries Director, Langham Partnership

Praise for Tom Wright's New Testament:

'A fresh translation that is both scholarly and written in non-repellent language makes this work a major triumph.'

Expository Times

'Fresh, insightful and accessible . . . An excellent resource.'

The Reader

'I love the easy flow of the narrative, and the way it is broken down into bite-sized chunks . . . This truly is a book for Everyone.'

the goodbookstall

The Bible for Everyone is the result of a passionate conviction that scripture should be something that everyone can read, understand and enjoy. Two world-renowned biblical scholars and communicators have therefore undertaken a tremendous task: to draw together, revise and supplement the translations that appear in their popular For Everyone commentaries, making a rounded, readable and reliable version of the Bible that will prove helpful to people of all religious backgrounds at every stage of their lives.

Broken up into easy-to-read, bite-sized chunks, and including helpful introductions to each biblical book, informative maps and a substantial glossary of key words, here is a new rendering of ancient wisdom that can be read like a novel, studied in sections or used as an aid to daily devotion.

• Like 1

For anyone wondering, my order for "The Bible for Everyone" from Amazon has been canceled by Amazon due to "lack of availability".

For anyone wondering, my order for "The Bible for Everyone" from Amazon has been canceled by Amazon due to "lack of availability".

Still showing as 19th july here in the uk on amazon and publishers web site so dont give up hope. Who knows, accordance may get it!

;o)

Still showing as 19th july here in the uk on amazon and publishers web site so dont give up hope. Who knows, accordance may get it!

;o)

Yeah, I can actually order it from the amazon uk website and have it shipped over the ocean. I might do that. I know IVP has the New Testament special edition coming out later. I may go ahead and order it from the U.K. but I would have to pay for shipping as prime doesn't cover it.

• 4 months later...

There are two purposes for this addition to this thread ...

1. Bump to see if any progress is being made ...

2. IVP is publishing a new New Testament translation as well to go along with Goldingay's First Testament, titled Second Testament translated by Scott McKnight. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2018/11/21/the-second-testament/

There are two purposes for this addition to this thread ...

1. Bump to see if any progress is being made ...

2. IVP is publishing a new New Testament translation as well to go along with Goldingay's First Testament, titled Second Testament translated by Scott McKnight. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2018/11/21/the-second-testament/

I would be more amiable to the newer Anchor editions. While usually classified as commentaries, the Anchor volumes are actually new translations with critical notes. New editions are in production now and being released now

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Any update on the First Testament?

• Like 1