New Accordance Features for BIBLEWORKS Users

R. Mansfield

I may be misunderstanding things, but I bought the Accordance software yesterday with the impression that I could import my BW notes over. However, upon further investigation, it appears that I have to do so one verse at a time. This, in effect, isn't really a feature. I could do the same thing with copy and paste (possibly faster) and it would take years to get everything imported. Admittedly that is a feature I have used heavily in BibleWorks and I do covet all my notes. Is there anything on the horizon for actually importing all my notes from BibleWorks and mapping them into the proper references in Accordance? That is what I assumed was being offered by the language on the initial webpage encouraging BW users to join the club. 

I may be misunderstanding things, but I bought the Accordance software yesterday with the impression that I could import my BW notes over. However, upon further investigation, it appears that I have to do so one verse at a time. This, in effect, isn't really a feature. I could do the same thing with copy and paste (possibly faster) and it would take years to get everything imported. Admittedly that is a feature I have used heavily in BibleWorks and I do covet all my notes. Is there anything on the horizon for actually importing all my notes from BibleWorks and mapping them into the proper references in Accordance? That is what I assumed was being offered by the language on the initial webpage encouraging BW users to join the club. 

Have you seen? https://www.accordancebible.com/Importing-BW-Notes and http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win12/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/importing_rtf_notes.htm

About the proper reference. There was a discussion on the forum, so I guess this should be addressed. But I'm not 100% sure.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

Yes, just a misunderstanding! You can import your notes at once. The first link Fabian posted above offers a video tutorial.

• Like 2

Okay, so I watched the video and it is helpful insofar as I now realize that it is supposed to import all my notes and not just one at a time. Now the problem is that it crashes every time I try to do it after it is only maybe 10% of the way finished. Then, I can't pick up where I left off but have to create a whole new module and try again... So I end up with a bunch of partially imported notes modules... all with about the same thing in them.

There does not appear to be a way to go into an existing one and add what is missing. Nor have I figured out how to delete all the no-good modules yet... though I am sure there must be a way. 

Does it crash at the same note every time?

http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win12/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/importing_rtf_notes.htm

Potentially you have a file/folder which doesn't conform to the naming standards?

You can easily delete the bad import(s) from your library. Just scroll down to your User Notes folder and then either right-click and select remove or keystroke Ctrl-Backspace.

I don't know for sure if it stopped at the same place every time (I didn't expect it to keep repeating itself, so I was not paying that close of attention to it).

I was able to locate some of the missing notes and manually edit the notes and put them in (last time it  stopped at 1 Cor 14_3 and skipped until verse 13).

However, whole books (like Isaiah) were left out entirely in the import. All the file names conform to the necessary standard so I don't know why that is. 

Is there a way to Add to an existing module (BW Notes is the name of the file/module I created) from specific books like Isaiah, without having to create a separate set of notes?

JMCisar, I'm not entirely sure why you are having trouble importing the entire structure, but you can do separate imports. Try splitting off your BW Notes into separate folders only containing a subset of the books folders.  Each of these can be then imported into Accordance.  Once done, use the File -> User Files -> Merge User Notes… option to combine them into one single file.

Graham, to answer your question I now know that it does not stop in the same spot every time. I had time to do it again. Stopped at "\1Th\5_23.bww" this time. It was "\1Co\14_3.bww" last time.

Fabian, sorry I don't know what you are asking for and the link didn't lead me to anything that made sense. 

Joel, I was beginning to wonder if that might be a possibility. I will see what I can do on that. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

New Accordance user here, trying to make the switch after 20 years of BibleWorks.

I have a question about importing BW databases into Accordance. I have a number of resources from BW saved as .rtf files (Book of Mormon, Wesley's Notes, TNIV, etc.). When I try to import them into Accordance, I'm not able to do so. They are grayed-out when I click in the folder I have them saved in on my SD card. The above step-by-step guide doesn't work when I try to import them as user notes, user tools, or Bible texts. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? I went into BibleWorks and did the following:

1. Tools > Importing/Exporting Information > Export Database

2. Choose the version to export and click "OK"

3. Saved as .rtf as well as .bww

Now how do I get these imported into Accordance? I'm stumped (and not very tech-savvy, unfortunately).

6 hours ago, DiscipleDojo said:

New Accordance user here, trying to make the switch after 20 years of BibleWorks.

I have a question about importing BW databases into Accordance. I have a number of resources from BW saved as .rtf files (Book of Mormon, Wesley's Notes, TNIV, etc.). When I try to import them into Accordance, I'm not able to do so. They are grayed-out when I click in the folder I have them saved in on my SD card. The above step-by-step guide doesn't work when I try to import them as user notes, user tools, or Bible texts. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? I went into BibleWorks and did the following:

Now how do I get these imported into Accordance? I'm stumped (and not very tech-savvy, unfortunately).

Hello

I'm not a very experienced BW user and I don't really have imported Notes from BW into Accordance. That said for importing user Notes others are more experienced. May you check 

What I can say to rtf import. It only works for the BW Notes import.

For User Tool you have to convert it as txt or html. I prefer the html. Open the rtf files in your editor and save or export it as html. If you use MS Word, choose the filtered html. 

For User Bibles. They have to be in txt. I guess the TNIV is not with the KJV verse mapping, so you have to choose the correct versification for the import. I guess it has the same as the NIV.

I guess it make sense if you open a new thread as we can't upload images in this thread.

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

19 hours ago, Fabian said:

Hello

I'm not a very experienced BW user and I don't really have imported Notes from BW into Accordance. That said for importing user Notes others are more experienced. May you check 

What I can say to rtf import. It only works for the BW Notes import.

For User Tool you have to convert it as txt or html. I prefer the html. Open the rtf files in your editor and save or export it as html. If you use MS Word, choose the filtered html. 

For User Bibles. They have to be in txt. I guess the TNIV is not with the KJV verse mapping, so you have to choose the correct versification for the import. I guess it has the same as the NIV.

I guess it make sense if you open a new thread as we can't upload images in this thread.

Fabian

Thanks you. The procedures in the video aren't working for me, so I know I'm doing something wrong. I'll start a new thread tomorrow asking for help. Maybe someone can walk me through step-by-step getting my RTF and/or BWW files converted into the right format and then imported correctly. I have no idea how to do anything involving verse mapping or changing things, as I just imported them right into BW as they were. But if someone can walk me through it, I'm down to learn something new! :)

Thanks!

For the Bible import I can help you. But not in the next two weeks. 

For the import of the BW notes some other ex-BW user are more skilled. I have only tested it one time.

On 5/29/2021 at 3:48 AM, DiscipleDojo said:

went into BibleWorks and did the following:

Anything exported this way is not in the form of User Notes, but of a Bible version. So the right way to import it is as a User Bible. However, that will not directly read RTF. There’s a tool written in Java called BibleMultiConverter that can convert a version exported from BibleWorks in RTF into a plain text file that Accordance can import. Fabian is an expert user of it.

The Book of Mormon could be a problem, because User Bible import requires you to appear have in Accordance a Text with the same set of book names, and a similar distribution of chapters and verses. So you would have to already have a version of the Book of Mormon in Accordance to be able to import the one from BibleWorks.

For the Book of Mormon I hope of 13.2. I really hope internal links in User Tools, like active TOC, Footnotes and Endnotes etc. are supported. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I've looked periodically at this thread since it began and have tried every suggestion here and have never successfully imported any bw notes.  I truly don't believe it works as advertised.  Sorry.  I gave up trying for about a year and now I'm back to see if there's any new info or updated method that may have been added.

Dave

Edited by calvary

5 hours ago, calvary said:

I've looked periodically at this thread since it began and have tried every suggestion here and have never successfully imported any bw notes. 

Dave, if your notes aren't too private and would like to send them to me to try, feel free to email me at RMansfield@accordancebible.com.

Edit: you'll need to zip the file structure. If it's too large for email, perhaps you can share with me through any of the various services (Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.).