Bibleworks Browse BUTTON

miketisdell

From a Bibleworks USER

A feature like the Bibleworks Browse button would be invaluable. In Bibleworks you can toggle between a view of a single text, and a view of a selected verse in multiple texts. All texts are displayed in the same window allowing for many texts to easily be viewed simultaneously. Any text of the same time can be added to a browse window i.e. Greek, Hebrew, English, Latin, Spanish, etc... versions of the bible may be added to a single browse window. Texts like Josephus can include both English and Greek translations together, etc....

Browse button located at the upper left corner

post-35053-0-97718900-1529165498_thumb.jpg

​After clicking the browse button

post-35053-0-05987900-1529165518_thumb.jpg

After changing the versions in the display list.

post-35053-0-41576100-1529165610_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

While waiting, for a workaround, You can sort of mimic the first two screen shots by having your one text in one tab and open all your other texts in a second tab and link the second tab to the first tab. Rather than switching views, you can switch tabs. Still only a single click.

Combining hebrew and greek texts will help reduce the number of empty panes.

• Like 1

Something very similar is possible now with the live click Verses option, I think. If you have live click active and then click a verse reference you get a list of that verse in every version and translation you have prioritized by your library order:

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/04_gswa/live_click.htm#kanchor334

Does this help or am I off base?

Edited by Brian W. Davidson

I was just typing this very thing and Brian beat me to it. The main issue with the Live Click solution is that the heading for each text type could be shrunk and use up far less space. Of course the Research entries each also have nav to go to any one of the texts too. But yes it seems to be basically the same thing. It does multiple languages and includes user bible hits too.

post-32023-0-64601400-1529170728_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

This is what I have been doing; however, because each text appears in its own window, I cannot display nearly as much.

While waiting, for a workaround, You can sort of mimic the first two screen shots by having your one text in one tab and open all your other texts in a second tab and link the second tab to the first tab. Rather than switching views, you can switch tabs. Still only a single click.

Combining hebrew and greek texts will help reduce the number of empty panes.

No this is different, this is more like the resource window feature in Bibleworks (except in Bibleworks it changes by hovering over the text rather than clicking on it).

Something very similar is possible now with the live click Verses option, I think. If you have live click active and then click a verse reference you get a list of that verse in every version and translation you have prioritized by your library order:

file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/04_gswa/live_click.htm#kanchor334

Does this help or am I off base?

Have you tried as interlinear? 

Unfortunately you can at the moment only use in maximum 7 texts (lines). But I'm sure Joel can increase it.

post-32723-0-28188600-1529172584_thumb.png

Greetings

Fabian

This is what I have been doing; however, because each text appears in its own window, I cannot display nearly as much.

Hi Mike,

I'm not following this comment. In the image I showed the passage from each text are all listed in the same window. Sure if you amplify from that to the full text it is in it's own window but the Research Tab shows all the texts and you can scroll through them. I have never used BW so I'm not really familiar with the Browse feature so I'm probably missing something that is obvious to a BW user.

Thx

D

The very first thing I tried when I got Accordance was Interlinear (There is a post somewhere a few weeks ago about it).

The problem is that when you add texts from different languages, it rearranges them to the primary text word order (this cannot be turned off :(). This makes reading the interlinear texts nearly impossible because word order in most languages (unlike Greek) is important. Additionally, only tagged texts are supported. If we could provide any text in a window like this, without rearranging the word order of the texts, this would be perfect. Add a button to toggle between the modes (i.e. show/hide interlinear/browse) and we would have it!!!

Note:

I have personally found interlinears to be one of the things that most inhibits students from learning the biblical languages. If it were up to me, I would replace it with a browse feature rather than enhance it to include a browse feature. Pastors armed with an interlinear and a lexicon are far too frequently the source of some of the worst kinds of exegetical errors.

Have you tried as interlinear? 

Unfortunately you can at the moment only use in maximum 7 texts (lines). But I'm sure Joel can increase it.

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2018-06-16 um 20.12.40.png

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by miketisdell

I have managed to get this if you set the text and windows. Not exactly the same but you can get a reasonable number on without playing too much. Can reduce font size and remove instant details . I set verses with no gap.

post-31185-0-04400900-1529176473_thumb.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

That is the best I have seen so far. Do you have to "tie" each text, or can you do that only once for the whole tab?

The latter would make it difficult to use if you change the included texts; which I do frequently.

I have managed to get this if you set the text and windows. Not exactly the same but you can get a reasonable number on without playing too much. Can reduce font size and remove instant details . I set verses with no gap.

I have tied the 2nd tab with the whole texts to the first tab. But even tied, you can select any text and drag it and the rest will move.

You could duplicate the tab to one that isn’t tied or use the command search line as shown by jarcher on a separate thread.

You can use the gen 1 window at the bottom right or the arrows in the bottom left to move the passage.

I would set it up and have a play and see what works for you. (From the responses you can see we all use Accordance in different ways to suite the workflows we have devised).

Edited by ukfraser

The problems w/ using the Interlinear as it now stands:

• Only tagged texts can be used.
  • Only 7 can be used
  • The word order can be shuffled in order to match tags.
  • You can't adjust the order of the versions. You would have to move everything around in your library, but this order may not always be what you want for other tasks.
  • You cannot copy out all the versions to a word processor

The new Live Click option can help, but:

• It doesn't make good use of space.
  • You can move versions to a specific order, but you need to set up a customized list. (This is a good option.)
  • The main problem is that the text is not 'live.' I.e., no instant details, no double- or triple-clicking, no right-click functions. It's just plain text.
  • You can, however, copy out all the text to a word processor.

I have set up something similar to ukfraser. The advantage is that it can be saved as a workspace, but it doesn't really use the space efficiently to compare versions. The text is 'live,' but you cannot copy out all the texts to a word processor unless you do so one at a time.

BibleWorks really did have this feature worked out well.

• It was easy to switch between single and multiple version view.
  • The versions could be ordered in any designated order.
  • A person could create various ordering schemes depending on the task, and they were able to be saved/recalled as needed.
  • The texts were 'live' and all functions could be used with any word in any version.
  • The texts could be copied out to a word processor. In fact, there was a hotkey export feature that could be used in a word processor to create a text like this which I use with my Greek students.

Accordance has been doing a great job helping BW users transition to Acc, so we'll see what they come up with.

• Like 2

From a Bibleworks USER

A feature like the Bibleworks Browse button would be invaluable. 

I have set up something similar to ukfraser. The advantage is that it can be saved as a workspace, but it doesn't really use the space efficiently to compare versions. The text is 'live,' but you cannot copy out all the texts to a word processor unless you do so one at a time.

BibleWorks really did have this feature worked out well.

• It was easy to switch between single and multiple version view.
  • The versions could be ordered in any designated order.
  • A person could create various ordering schemes depending on the task, and they were able to be saved/recalled as needed.
  • The texts were 'live' and all functions could be used with any word in any version.
  • The texts could be copied out to a word processor. In fact, there was a hotkey export feature that could be used in a word processor to create a text like this which I use with my Greek students.

Accordance has been doing a great job helping BW users transition to Acc, so we'll see what they come up with.A

Agree.  

• Like 1

Mark,

I think one of the reasons BW is able to utilize space as well as it does is that when you clicked on anything in the resource tab, the resource came up in a floating window; parallel texts is a floating window; lexicons come up in a floating window etc. Accordance allows for multiple workspaces and floating windows, but the default is to go to a tab, zone or pane.

For those not familiar with BW, a floating window is not a pop up.

I created Greek Lexicon, Hebrew Lexicon and text comparison workspaces that I can amplify. This gives  Accordance the space it likes, lets me have a cleaner study workspace and does duplicate BW more closely. Once set up, if I leave them open I can use the triple click to open the lexicon workspaces. I can tie a Greek Comparison Workspace to the main text if I want and leave it open as well. Everything in the workspace is active rather than just the text from the live click verse lookup etc.

I can provide examples if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

I can provide examples if anyone is interested.

Yes, please I'm always open to learn about my Bible Software. 

Greetings

Fabian

Screenshots are always good, I like seeing how others use the software, particularly to see if I can improve my workflows or use features I wasn’t aware of or come across resources I hadn’t considered before.

• Like 1

Here is my main workspace.

Speaking in BW terms, the first pane is the Browse window in Browse mode; next is the Resource tab; then the browse window in verse mode, then the Analysis tab. The two bible zones are tied.

post-1391-0-44733200-1529239616_thumb.png

Edited by John Fidel

Next if I triple click on a Hebrew word this workspace, which I leave open will populate. I link the resources and have Concise Hebrew as my default for triple click look up. I do not close the Hebrew Lexicon Workspace, leave it open.

post-1391-0-39226800-1529239966_thumb.png

post-1391-0-76793900-1529239976_thumb.png

Edited by John Fidel

For Greek look up it is the same except I have a Greek Lexicon workspace open and linked to LN.

For a Greek Text comparison I select the verse and then amplify to Greek Text Comparison Workspace and get this:

post-1391-0-93142400-1529240198_thumb.png

post-1391-0-06125800-1529240213_thumb.png

post-1391-0-08875100-1529240310_thumb.png

Edited by John Fidel

I also have Hebrew, Greek and Keyword search workspaces that if I leave open will populate when I search using the right mouse menu. I like having more space for the analysis pane and I do not lose my place in the main workspace.

I work on a laptop. If I had multiple monitors I would have these set up differently.

A bit difficult to show with screenshots, but if you have questions, I am glad to reply.

post-1391-0-07353900-1529240558_thumb.png

post-1391-0-68350200-1529240567_thumb.png

post-1391-0-24214300-1529240578_thumb.png