What is Live clicking

A. Smith

There is clearly a lot of buzz about live click. I've got the update. I've watched the video. I've never used BW. I don't understand what's going on. I check 'live click' and click the word, or double click, or triple click, nothing happens out of the ordinary. What am I missing? How do you live click? Clearly I'm not doing something right. 

As someone not a BW user but a long-time Accordance user, I'd love to see a podcast explaining this functionality and showing some real world use cases.

• Like 1

Couldn't take the time to make a full explanation, but I made this video for a friend to demonstrate the feature. I normally have Accordance in split screen with a spread sheet. And being able to quickly get to a lot of data on lexical forms or usage or other versions means minimal clicking and keeps me moving through data. When Accordance is in split screen with another application, the research tabs pop up below the Hebrew and Greek texts, which is super helpful. All I'm doing to generate these research reports is clicking one time on a word.

https://youtu.be/YTC15D9GmdA

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 2

Nm.

Edited by A. Smith

Give it another minute or two. 

• Like 1

Give it another minute or two.

What, exactly, are you doing? My clicks don’t do that.

If the live click box is checked all you should have to do is click on a word in a tagged resource to launch two reports — one on word usage in similar texts and one providing a list of lexicon entries. I have my lexicon research report set so that it displays the full entries. You can make the display of full entries default in the Reading/Research program settings.

You will also want to make sure that in the Reading/Research program settings Sort Order is set to Library (Entry).

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 1

got it. thanks!

Hi,

I was thinking about posting about how much Live Click is a game changer for me in Accordance. Although I don't know if ever the two sides, Acc and BW, will understand where the other is coming from, I'll give you my perspective, that of a former almost exclusive (time-wise) user of BW.

The buzz is about speed and analysis in two zones in Acc. In BW you hovered your mouse and saw the equivalent of two Acc zones instantaneously - in my case, an Analysis window that showed all my lexicons for a word, with their entries for homonyms if I wished, and a zone that showed (Word) Use. In fact, it was so fast it flashed like annoying TV commercials now, only much worse with information changing in the panes instantly, according to where the mouse cursor was. So, some of us turned on the option to only update these panes = Acc's zones when we pressed the Shift key with a mouse hover.

Now, compare this to Accordance when I first purchased it for syntax searches. I started out hovering over words for instant lookup of my preferred lexicon in Instant Details. It turns out I misunderstood the Windows promotional video, and I had to press Ctrl to hover and get the Instant Details information in that lexicon. Ctrl-mouse(h)over to get information from one lexicon in ID is the equivalent of Shift-mouse(h)over in BW, with the option set to see only one lexicon. But in BW you could see all lexicons and homonyms, and also with just a simple hover. Next, I double clicked on a word to see what would happen (like in Logos). I was absolutely stunned to learn you had to triple click, and I immediately looked for alternative solutions - keyboard shortcuts, and eventually software to configure my right mouse button as triple click. The point is, triple clicking was amazingly slow compared to an instant hover. Besides, if you wanted to look up other lexicons in Acc, you had to open up other panes and click their tabs one by one. All in all, this is much slower than in BW. Also, the mouseover in BW brought up another pane =  zone in Accordance, for the same word, at the same time. This is what Live Click basically does now, bring up a lexical entry and word usage in two separate zones (if you adjust them that way), imitating the speed of BW.

I love the new feature.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 3

Yes, and not just speed. Less friction.

Less friction means I will stay put longer and move further in research.

• Like 1