Traditions of the Bible

Michel Gilbert

I’m a bit surprised by the lack of interest so far, especially by members who are interested in Jewish interpretation of the Bible. I always recommend the relevant chapters in Back to the Sources: Reading the Classic Jewish Texts. The First Complete Modern Guide to the Great Books of the Jewish Tradition: What They Are and How to Read Them, ed. by Barry W. Holtz as a general introduction to Jewish Bible interpretation, followed by Traditions of the Bible for early Jewish Bible interpretation.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I forwarded this on for consideration. To my knowledge we've not worked with HUP before, and sometimes publishers like this are hesitant to work with electronic platforms, or require virtually unreasonable terms to license titles.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick.

My Doctorate is in the history of Jewish interpretation of the Bible, from a Jewish Studies Department, so of course, I would love it. But, Traditions of the Bible, if it was offered in Acc, would enable everyone to put their ben Sira, Pseudepigrapha, DSS, Philo, Josephus, Targums, Rabbinic titles, and Church Fathers modules to good use. Traditions of the Bible would be among one of the most hyperlinked resources in Acc, even with links to the NT.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

I had an opportunity to glance through this work, and it appears to be very thorough, full of extra-biblical insights and ancient comments on the text.

It does not appear to be a commentary exactly; the author has chosen 25 themes from the Pentateuch including

The Creation of the World

Adam and Eve
Cain and Abel
Noah and the Flood
The Tower of Babel
Abraham Journeys from Chaldea
Melchizedek
The Trials ofAbraham
Lot and Lot's Wife
Jacob and Esau
Jacob and the Angel
Dinah
Joseph's Ups and Downs
Jacob's Sons in Egypt
Growing Up in Pharaoh's Court
The Exodus from Egypt
The Red Sea
Into the Wilderness
At Mt. Sinai
The Golden Calf
Worship in the Wilderness
Trouble along the Way
The Bronze Serpent, Balaam, and Phinehas

And others, namely,
The World of Ancient Biblical Interpreters
The Life of Torah

It is clearly a scholarly work, appears to be thoroughly researched.
While indeed fascinating and no doubt insightful, I wonder how useful it would be to the practical homiletician.

Edit:
I should perhaps rewrite that last line:
While indeed fascinating and no doubt insightful, I wonder how useful it would be to the practical Christian homiletician.
Edited by Alistair

I wonder how useful it would be to the practical Christian homiletician.

The NT writers themselves used some of the same traditions, and, more importantly, the same methods of interpretation. :)

While my library doesn't need new reasons to expand, it's chief purchaser is inclined to buy new items that enlarge it's knowledge field.

If everything was purchased solely on the grounds of its practical usefulness many items in Accordance would most likely not have been procured.

+1

• Like 1