Citation format

lesterchua

Hi,

When I use the copy as citation function, I cannot seem to get the page number up.

For example, a citation will render like this.

[1] Kidner, Derek, Genesis: An Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 1 of Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries. IVP/Accordance electronic ed. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1967.

Is there a setting somewhere where the page number is displayed? If not, the citation will be problematic in usage.

Hello

The Tools with page numbers, should give you the page numbers in the citation. But a few older Tools don't have page numbering. 

Hmm I get which shows the page numbers 23-24.

Derek Kidner, Genesis: An Introduction and Commentary, TOTC 1; IVP/Accordance electronic ed. (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1967), 23-24.

The "whole" citation seems to be a little different:

No comma after Kinder, TOTC instead of Vol. 1 of Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries, etc. Or have I taken another commentary than you?

Do you have the newest version of this Tool? Sometimes Accordance has added the page numbers later.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the response. I think we have the same commentary. It's odd. Mine just refuses to give the page number.

Is there a citation setting?

Regards,

Lester

EDIT: I check out the citation settings. It does not seem to change anything with regards to the output.

I used the right click "Copy as citation" method to perform the copy on Mac Sierra and Word 2011 for Mac. I wonder if the Office version is that cause of the issue.

Edited by lesterchua

Hello Lester

I have it tested now with different word Editor software. I get (except in Pages) every time the same. I use Word 16 the latest Office Insider version. 

Tyndale Commentary (Complete)

Tyndale Commentary (Tyndale Commentary)

General Editor: Donald J. Wiseman

© The Authors 2010
(See details of copyright information in each volume.)
Used by permission of Inter-Varsity Press, UK

Electronic text hypertexted and prepared by OakTree Software, Inc.

Version 2.2

Do you use this version of the Tyndale Commentary? I guess you have another, because your citation looks different.

Yes I have also used the right click option, but on High Sierra.

My preferences post-32723-0-56287100-1529819427_thumb.png.

Greetings

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

I'll try out the settings again and report back.

Regards,

Lester

I managed to get it figured out.

The settings to control the citation for page number is actually located in "Bibliography" instead of "Citation".

Choosing Turabian Footnote places the page numbers in both "Copy as Citation" and "Copy as Bibliography"

I was confused because normally Bibliography does not include Page Numbers. Only Citation footnotes require them.

But Accordance's Bibliography setting for "Copy as..." affects both Citation as well as Bibliography.

Edited by lesterchua
  • Like 1

It is confusing, and I wish we would figure out a way to clarify our preferences in this area. in the meantime, think of the preferences this way. Citation preferences are for Texts only, and Bibliography preferences are for Tools. So, our preferences could be listed like this for clarity:

Citation (Texts)

Bibliography (Tools)

Edited by Mark Allison

To add to the confusion, the Copy As options: Copy As—>Citation, and Copy As—>Bibliography, apply to both Texts and Tools. In both cases the following options are used:

Copy As—>Citation will give copy and paste both the selected text and the citation source.

Copy As—>Bibliography will copy and paste ONLY the citation source (it won't include the selected text).

Edited by Mark Allison

To add to the confusion, the Copy As options: Copy As—>Citation, and Copy As—>Bibliography, apply to both Texts and Tools. In both cases the following options are used:

Copy As—>Citation will give copy and paste both the selected text and the citation source.

Copy As—Bibliography will copy and paste ONLY the citation source (it won't include the selected text).

I guess the confusion arose from the definition of "Citation" and "Bibliography" in Accordance is not the definition I'm used to.

But now that I know, it'll be fine. A matter of educating the user. =)