Photo

Learning Biblical Hebrew Interactively (Paul Overland)

Hebrew Instruction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Has anyone taught (or taken) Hebrew using Dr. Paul Overland's Learning Biblical Hebrew Interactively? 

http://www.learningb...eractively.com/

How satisfied were you with it? Is it more effective than traditional teaching methods?

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#2 Robert Holmstedt

Robert Holmstedt

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:52 AM

I was at a workshop that Paul ran early on in his development of this approach. While I ended up going in a slightly different direction for Cook's and my textbook, I cannot stress enough that the "interactive" (or communicative) approach to learning even ancient languages is light years better than the grammar-translation approach. The one warning I would give is this: teaching Biblical Hebrew interactively requires a good deal of effort on the part of the teacher. The teacher must view Biblical Hebrew as a living language and be ready to have the kind of simple interactions that occur in any beginning language clause (e.g., questions, answers, with numerous variations). It's great fun, but for many it will also require great preparation. It's worth every bit of it, though.

• Mark Allison, Timothy Jenney, A. Smith and 1 other like this
Professor, Hebrew and Northwest Semitic Languages
Dept. of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
The University of Toronto
blog: ancienthebrewgrammar.wordpress.com
https://utoronto.aca...RobertHolmstedt

#3 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

Thank you, Robert!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13

#4 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

My Professor for Hebrew 1 introduced some of this method of interactive teaching. We each had to offer simple commands to another classmate (sit, stand, etc) which was fun and helped us grasp the liquid movement of language. I would be more amiable to a diachronic approach and more rigid grammatical emphasis. While not a big fan of the interactive approach, I would say small exercises like it are good, immersive tools. Not sure how helpful this comment is for the discussion but as a student, I think it is a good step but not the best way to teach.

• Timothy Jenney likes this

Cheers,

Matt C

#5 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

Thanks, Matt. That's the conclusion I am reaching, too.

Holmstedt and Cook's grammar has been recommended to me as a nice balance between the two systems.

• MattChristian likes this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew, Instruction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users