Default search to "words" or "letters"

miketisdell

Is there anyway to have the search box default to "words" or "Letters" rather than "verses?"

I use an Israeli keyboard when typing and it is a significant annoyance to have to select "words" or "letters" before typing a search. The auto switch to the Hebrew text doesn't work with the Israeli keyboard.

Yes here

post-32723-0-07402800-1530376908_thumb.png

and there is a shortcut-key. Or you can create a own to toggle from word to verse and back.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have set the default to "words" but I have found that in many cases it still defaults to "verses." For example, if I clear a prior search box, the search filed reverts to "verses."

Is there any fix for this, or should this be reported as a bug?

Hi Mike,

It will be easier to determine why it is auto-switching if we have an exact example where it does it. There are reasons why it will switch from one to another - usually it cannot find the word or it looks like a vs reference. Do you have an example I can play with ?

Thx

D

Hi Mike,

It will be easier to determine why it is auto-switching if we have an exact example where it does it. There are reasons why it will switch from one to another - usually it cannot find the word or it looks like a vs reference. Do you have an example I can play with ?

Thx

D

One way to duplicate this. Enter something to search in the search box, after the search returns results. Do a Ctrl-A to select the entire contents of the search box, delete, and then hit enter to clear the last search (NOTE: an X option in the search window would be nice). After hitting enter the search box reverts to verse (at this point no text has yet been entered into the search box.

Hi Mike, hitting the enter key performs a search - if it's not a found "word" it will change to a verse search even if nothing is in the search bar.

there's no need to "clear the search" is there?

If tap "tab" you will automatically select everything in your search bar and you can then just type your new search - it will use the "mode" that you are currently in, until Accordance finds a reason to try a different mode (smart-switching) like if the word is not found. Then it will try the words as a substring for a Bible book name.

Is that making any sense or helping at all?

Hi Mike, hitting the enter key performs a search - if it's not a found "word" it will change to a verse search even if nothing is in the search bar.

there's no need to "clear the search" is there?

If tap "tab" you will automatically select everything in your search bar and you can then just type your new search - it will use the "mode" that you are currently in, until Accordance finds a reason to try a different mode (smart-switching) like if the word is not found. Then it will try the words as a substring for a Bible book name.

Is that making any sense or helping at all?

If I don't do an empty search the next search is limited to only search the results of the last search.

Hi Mike, In Acc a new search is not restricted by the results of the previous one, unless you explicitly refer to the results of one search in another which you cannot do in a single tab. It should not be necessary to run an empty search between searches for this reason. Have you got and example of a pair of searches that interact this way ?

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hi Mike, In Acc a new search is not restricted by the results of the previous one, unless you explicitly refer to the results of one search in another which you cannot do in a single tab. It should not be necessary to run an empty search between searches for this reason. Have you got and example of a pair of searches that interact this way ?

Thx

D

I tested this again and I didn't not need to clear and search; operator error on my part.

• Like 1

Is there a way to clear the last search without searching for nothing i.e. in order to avoid changing back to verses?

Is there a way to clear the last search without searching for nothing i.e. in order to avoid changing back to verses?

Hi Mike, what do you mean by "clear the last search"? Do you mean you want an empty pane below the search bar?

Hi Mike,

If you just want to clear the search box itself click in the box hit tab and hit backspace. That will clear it without changing to Verses. Now after a search you cursor will be in the search box. But if you've click in the results pane then you may have to tab to get out of them and into the search box. That will also highlight the search string and you can hit backspace to clear or type a new search. Again this won't reset Words to Verses.

If you want to remove the highlighted search results that requires a search as far as I know.

Thx

D

• Like 1