Recommendations requested for 25% off coupon!

R. Mansfield

Normally, with our weekly sales, I promote the various titles we have on sale via our various social media channels. With our 25% off coupon this week for any order, I dont have a list of titles to choose from, so I thought Id request some help from YOU since our forum readers tend to be our most experienced and/or dedicated Accordance users! 

If you had one title to recommend to other Accordance users, what would it be? 

If you’d like to recommend something, please post in this thread (this invitation is open to Accordance user or employee, by the way!). I can’t promise to use every recommendation, but I will pull from these throughout the next few days.

If you use a forum name different from your real name and want to use one or the other, let me know because whatever name I have for you will go into the promotion if I choose your recommendation. If you have a title you’d like to include (Pastor, ____ Church; Professor of ____ at ______), let me know that, too!

This is a great way for you to share with others your favorite Accordance titles!

Thanks for your help!

Hi Rick,

Hebrew Bible Syntax Databases - 1) Grammatical Syntax add-on to HMT-W4 (Holmstedt), and 2) Hebrew Masoretic Text with ETCBC Morphology (WIVU), with their easy to use GUIs.

Rick, you can use my name, Michel G. Distefano, Ph.D.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Archaeology of the Land of the Bible (3 vols.) https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Archaeology%20of%20Bible Three volumes from the Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library that aid any user with content that keeps focus up in reading through the Old Testament. I don't have this under Accordance but would gladly have since i can't access much of it any longer than the remainder of this vacation. (I've been using the two older volumes under a spare account that has gone unused and which has only been installed once over half a Year ago, an account (under a competing platform but under which I've bought parts used) that I will eventually gift to anyone who will actually co-author with me so that the person would not spend and contribute under the competitor. I'm expecting to find such a person at the SBL conference in Helsinki July 30.-Aug. 3.) (I've used just the third and newest volume under my wholly own account under the competing platform for a couple of Months altogether now but have not used any other of the resources on it any time recently.)

/Unix Cyklist

Hi!

I would recommend: Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach (Waltke). The spare time we have during the summer is perfect for a studie in The Old Testament. 

Name: Thomas K. Olsen. Degree: Master of Theological Studies.  

Edited by ThomTarzan
  • Like 1

NEW INTERPRETER'S BIBLE 12-VOLUME COMMENTARY

Simply the finest commentary I have ever encountered. I wish everyone could own it. The reflections are insightful and the commentary is informative without going into a depth that is off putting. It may not be for everyone, but the number of outstanding scholars from many different backgrounds always amazes me. I would describe the commentary over all as moderate (the many top scholars  from various theological backgrounds is aimed at an ecumenical audience meaning generally you will not see anything radical from any side of the theological spectrum). If it were the only commentary I owned I would feel lucky and feel at no serious disadvantage. This commentary covers the entire Alexandrian canon as has been traditionally used in the Roman Catholic Church, making it a fine choice for not only Protestants but also Catholics. And having used it for over 20 years I can say it makes a very solid base for starting out study in any section of the Bible and continues to be a most valued resource.

Dan Francis, parishioner St Stephen's Anglican Church, Calgary Alberta (if you feel that is of any value, realizing you are looking more for academic or pastoral qualifications for your recommendations ).

Edited by Daniel Francis

I could give a lot of suggestions, but as I've been teaching through OT books like Joshua and Judges, I've found myself turning repeatedly to the Sacred Bridge and being impressed with it every time. Phenomenal resource.

David Lang, Accordance Developer and Sunday School Teacher

• Like 1

Yep - one only seemed a bit restrictive. :) Like Michel my first thought was the syntax modules. Then BDAG/HALOT. Then SIL, EGGNT.

But if I had to pick one thing I'm benefitting from right now, it would be the extra-biblical greek modules - Josephus in particular. These are great for expanding your knowledge of the language.

Thx

D

• Like 1

For scholarship and readability, I would recommend the JPS Commentary Set.  Also, the BAR (Biblical Archaeology Archive) is a must have.

These are all great recommendations! Keep them coming. 

For variety’s sake, I won’t necessarily post them in the order they’ve been recommended here; but since Michel was first to offer a recommendation, I did begin with his suggestion of Hebrew syntax databases. This recommendation has now gone out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, and LinkedIn.

Pre Accordance, I would always try to buy a study bible of various translations in hard copy as they are great tools to help you orientate yourself in the passage while just having a single volume to hold. Important points on the passage and a couple of pages at the front of each book on the author and geopolitical situation.

Accordance has had great sales but study bibles don’t come up very often and don’t appear to be included in the various sets (and Accordance has some great study bibles available). So for those on a really tight budget, I know that Accordance study bibles will work with any translation but:

1) Accordance comes with the tagged esv and esv notes.

2) on a mobile device I like to open the text with its study bible so for me a study bible is the first place to go to see important points on the passage,

3) the esv study bible has nearly 200 maps so orientation in the text and visually is great (and set it apart from any other study bible available).

For me, the esv study bible is a must have and an excellent opportunity if your current funds are depleted (though other recomendations listed are great if you have more funds available and it is 25% off the order so you could add this and not even notice)

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=ESV+Study+Bible-addon

Reader in the diocese of Southwell, (in the Church of England and there is more info on my profile page)

Edited by ukfraser

I've recommended it before and I'll continue to do so - SIL Exegetical Summary Series.

For many people, large commentary sets are out of reach financially. Lexicons are also expensive. However, this resource provides summaries of information that is most important from some of these most important resources. Dollar for dollar I think this resources is the biggest return on your investment.

Secondly, I'd also recommend the NIV Study Bible Notes.

I've found that this study Bible comes through more often than the others in providing insightful and helpful notes. For quick help, the NIV Study Bible is awesome.

Edit: Apparently I don't know what one means.

Edited by jarcher

I picked up the NAC Pentateuch volumes. I need to (gradually) put together commentaries on the Old Testament, and it seemed like good bang for the buck to get separate volumes for each book in the Pentateuch for under $100 after the discount. Most of the volumes are rated fairly high among evangelical commentaries. I wanted to get Waltke as well in order to get a balancing evangelical point of view on some matters, but you can't get everything you want right now.

(By the way we seem to be experiencing Daughter of The Deluge today in San Antonio. If you don't hear from me after this, you'll know why!) :)

Edited by JohnABarnett

Thanks again for all the recommendations. I was able to feature all the picks suggested last week in social media. I’m sorry I won’t be able to promote the recommendations suggested today, but hold on to those ideas for the next time we offer a coupon code!