DSS Reference Help – Decode 4Q414 f2ii_4:5 to SBL 2nd

basnyder527

Help needed with a DSS reference:

I am trying to decode this reference, 4Q414 f2ii_4:5, from the Accordance DSS library so that I can put it in SBL 2nd format.

The QUMRAN ReadMe explains the following for understanding the reference system used, but it doesn't actually deal with the specific case above:

"Current referencing schemes have been modified slightly to accommodate Accordance. Scrolls published by column are recorded in a column:line format. Thus “1QS 4:3” (or “1QS 4.3”) references the manuscript known as 1QS column 4, line 3. The more common fragmentary portions follow the pattern of fragment column: line. Thus “4Q427 f7ii:14” refers to manuscript 4Q427, fragment (f) 7, column 2, and line 14. Only the fragment number will show variation from this pattern as the characters + and _ are incorporated to show combinations of individual fragments. For example, “4Q491 f1_3:17” refers to an ensemble of fragments 1, 2, and 3."

Here's what I'm sure of regarding this reference, 4Q414 f2ii_4:5:

- 4Q414 is cave 4 at Qumran and 414 is the scroll number.
- "f2" is "fragment 2" and "ii" is column 2.
- 5 is line 5

What I'm unsure of is what to do with _4

The _ is explained in the ReadMe as indicating a collection of fragments together, but the example uses Arabic numbers (1_3) in the example. In the reference I'm looking at it goes from ii_4.

I'm taking this to mean that 4Q414 is reconstructed from a collection of fragments that includes fragment 2 column 2, fragment 3, and fragment 4. OR it could mean fragment 2 column 2, fragment 3 column 2, and fragment 4 column 2.

Thank you in advance for your help!

It will be a collation of fragments 2 through 4, line 5. I would assume that the column data is there b/c frags 3-4 have only 1 column of text. Though don't quote me on that.

4Q171 f1+3_4iii is an example of 3 fragmentary collations. f1 and f3 through 4 (column 3)

• Like 1