Overheated MacBookPro

Jan Klein

Hi everyone,

My MacBookPro is becoming overheated. Safari is the cause of that, but also Accordance. The activity monitor indicates that Accordance has an average energy impact of 7.

What could be the cause?

With kind regards, Jan

Generally, unless you're running high-intensity games, normal operating behavior should not cause a MacBook to get very hot unless there is a hardware failure of some fan (dying fan, dust, etc).   Even running high-intensity games, generally the worst case scenario is the fans will run at full RPM and it will be loud.  Modern hardware knows how to back off when it reaches its thermal limits.  Let me back up a step — what is leading you to conclude it's overheating?

Thanks Rich for answering my question.

normal operating behavior should not cause a MacBook to get very hot unless there is a hardware failure of some fan (dying fan, dust, etc).   

The temp is running up to 80º C (176º F), the fans run at 6600 rpm, and I made them dust free. 

I also reseted the battery memory with a SMC reset. 

It does appear odd... while I have had many issues with Faithlife apps causing my mac to run hot especially during its index cycles Accordance has never been that taxing on any MacBook I have owned. I do think the above is a wise procedure as it may be a pram issue.

-dan

PS: I am currently running Verbum and Accordance and my CPU is at 43º 

Edited by Daniel Francis

80C is definitely on the warm side and probably not normal for non-intensive CPU activity.  Games, indexing, compiling code, processing video, encrypting a disk,  etc. are what I would normally think of causing that (and not something like Accordance).  

My recommendation is to run Activity Monitor which ships with all Macs.  Looking at the CPU tab, it should default to sorting by % CPU with the most intensive processes at the top, which will give you a more accurate picture if something is hitting your CPU hard.

Thanks Rich,

This is the result:

Accordance has an Energy impact of 19,1% 

(I can't find the possibility to upload a screenshot here, only an url to an image.)

Under more reply options you get the opportunity to choose file and then attach this file. Need to do both. Then you can choose a second screen shot, etc

post-31185-0-27866400-1531818392_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

Here the screenshot:

post-510-0-76957100-1531819440_thumb.png

Edited by Jan Klein

Energy impact is really not the important tab — CPU, the first tab is — although the energy tab probably is a decent reflection.   You should watch the CPU tab for a few minutes in real time to see the pattern of CPU usage (and a screenshot of a typical screen over that time might be useful).

Edited by Rich