Apollos OT Commentaries: Any Recommendations?

JohnABarnett

Based on Amazon reviews the Apollos Commentary on Exodus by T. Desmond Alexander looks to become a must-have for evangelicals who want to be engaged with modern scholarship. Apparently Alexander has made a name for himself as an expert on Exodus. 

To experienced users (hands on), if I were to buy another volume or two, on which ones warrant special attention? And why?

Thanks for any comments.

Aha, thanks ukfraser!

More comments are welcome, especially if anyone has first hand experience with volumes from the set.

I have these commentaries in Logos and am preparing a crossgrade form for Accordance.

Thus far, I am pleased with these commentaries, which I (and others) have tagged in Logos as Technical Commentaries.

I miss the tagging function in Accordance.

Here is a note on Dt 32:8 as an example.

8. behanḥēl, ‘when he brought (to inherit)’, and yaṣṣēḇ, ‘he set’, appear instead of the expected behanḥîl, yaṣṣîb. As the two forms are grammatically different, they may have been chosen for euphonic reasons (GKC 109k).

The imperfect (yaṣṣēḇ) is the first of a series, continuing in vv. 10–14, which refer to actions in the past.

mt has ‘sons of Israel’, while lxx, QL have ‘sons of God’ (benê ’elōhîm, 4QDeut; 4QDeut has benê ’ēl, but is only partly legible, and may also have had the fuller ’elōhîm; van der Kooij 1994: 93–94 n. 2). The terms benê ’ēlîm and ’ēlîm are known at Ugarit, and refer to the lesser gods that surround the high god El. benê ’ēlîm (Ps. 29:1), be () ’elōhîm (Gen. 6:2) and benê ʽelyōn (Ps. 82:6) are known in the OT, as reflections of the more overtly polytheistic Canaanite forms. The textual question here is whether mt alters an original reading preserved by lxx, or lxx altered the mt version. If the former is the case, mt presumably altered the text it found because it regarded it as dangerously polytheistic. If the latter, an original ‘sons of Israel’ has been changed to ‘sons of God’, a move which is probably harder to account for. (If mt’s ‘sons of Israel’ is original, it might be read simply as a statement that Yahweh apportioned land to Israel, in the context of the creator’s distribution of land to all nations, according to their size and need; so S. R. Driver 1895: 355–356.) (See also on v. 43.)

Edited by HansK

McConville (Deuteronomy) is the bee's knees. It's a favorite of mine.

\

Hans, thanks for your opinion and the example. 

Justin, thanks. If you have the time to answer (and I do not presume that), what is it about McConville's that helps make it your favorite?

I have enjoyed using the volumes and enjoy them even more than Pillar which is it’s NT companion. I find the scholarship sound and the reflective sections quite insightful.

-dan

Thanks, Daniel. In your opinion Is the volume quality uneven? Are there some volumes that stand out? I'm thinking of cherry-picking the best two or three.

I have loved all I have used. Although only ones I have really dived into are Exodus, Joshua and Ecclesiastes.

-dan

I have enjoyed using the volumes and enjoy them even more than Pillar which is it’s NT companion. I find the scholarship sound and the reflective sections quite insightful.

-dan

hey dan,

just wondering where it says it's the NT companion of pillar.  not that I don't believe you (I do believe you), but just curious.  I find pillar to be a reliable conservative commentary that I use as a base when looking for insights in more liberal commentaries.  and if apollos is the OT equivalent, i'd be interested.

thanks!

It’s actually in the Pillar volumes that you notice that they are published by Apollos and sometimes when selecting citations from them the information in Logos has labeled at the end Apollos Commentary in brackets. This OT is in a very similar vein to Pillar but is laid out in distinct commenting sections. I know I remember reading that Apollos OT was designed to be companion to Pillar but I am not locating a place it is called that in official press on it now, so other than the information in the Pillar volumes I do not have any current support beyond my memory.

-dan

• Like 1

Thanks for the further comments, Dan.

any others want to chime in about apollos being similar to pillar?  or if they have recommendations of a OT commentary set in the same vein as a pillar?

I displayed a rare discipline in this case and limited myself to ordering just the Exodus volume, though based on comments and some research it looks like there a plenty of other worthy volumes. What's the emoji for chagrin?

I displayed a rare discipline in this case and limited myself to ordering just the Exodus volume, though based on comments and some research it looks like there a plenty of other worthy volumes. What's the emoji for chagrin?

Sorry you did not find it a valuable volume, I found it's comments studying Exodus 19 in particular very illuminating. But I am sorry you did not find a worthy volume (at least that is the way I read your comment, which felt slightly vague to me, however the need for a chagrin emoji seemed clear enough).

-dan

Sorry you did not find it a valuable volume, I found it's comments studying Exodus 19 in particular very illuminating. But I am sorry you did not find a worthy volume (at least that is the way I read your comment, which felt slightly vague to me, however the need for a chagrin emoji seemed clear enough).

-dan

Hm, didn't mean to communicate that, Daniel, sorry if I did. It is not uncommon for me to communicate unclearly. Just ask my wife!

I limited myself to just one volume for reasons of financial discipline, and out of all the volumes (of which many seem worthy) I deemed the Exodus one the most important of all for me. I hope to eventually get the entire set. I suspect at some point there might be another good sale, and I might be better situated then to take advantage of it.

Last year I built my bedrock of NT commentary sets by getting, NICNT and Pillar. Over the next year or two I need to start working on my OT bedrock.

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 1

Last year I built my bedrock of NT commentary sets by getting, NICNT and Pillar. Over the next year or two I need to start working on my OT bedrock.

I would also check out the jps publications ( i have the torah set but keep looking at the others)

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=JPS%205%20Commentary%20Set

But the modern torah commentary Wont make too big a dent in your finances and is well worth adding to your library sooner rather than later

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Torah%20Modern%20Commentary

Thanks for the suggestions, ukfraser. Candidly, I'm thinking for my bedrock in terms of multi-volume sets where the authors are evangelically-oriented but interact with other points of view. At this point I envision getting NICOT and then supplementing with Apollos and NAC. So I have my work cut out for me for a couple of years.

Of course it's understood that one's point of view affects what one will view as bedrock. It has become clear from perusing these forums that the JPS commentaries are top notch and worthy of investment.

Just my two cents I will say JPS is good but I am not sure I would miss it much if I didn’t have it. Modern Torah commentary on the other is worth its weight in gold to me. But we are all very different.

-dan

I'm always willing to listen to my friends here. Unless dinner's on the table.

Read Reading scriptures with the Fathers by Christopher Hall over coffee this morning And came across this quote from Voltaire and it made me think of this thread and made me smile

“I know to be sure that the Church is infallible; but is it the Greek Church, or the Latin Church, or the Church of England, or that of Denmark and of Sweden, or that of the proud city of Neuchatel, or that of the primitives called Quakers, or that of the Anabaptists, or that of the Moravians? The Turkish Church has its points, too, but they say that the Chinese Church is much more ancient.”

Voltaire, “The Questions of Zapata,” in Les Philosophes, ed. Norman L. Torrey (New York: Capricorn Books, 1960), p. 282

(And "... with the fathers" is a trilogy i wouldnt have come across if it hadnt been for comments on this forum and an accordance sale for which i am very thankful!)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1