Hebrew Vocab list with Whole Bible word count

Charles Grebe

I’m trying to produce Hebrew vocabulary lists for specific chapters. I’d like to include the following:

-Hebrew word

-English gloss

-word count (for whole Bible)

The problem is the word count in the Analysis Analytic is the word count for the selected range, not the whole Bible. E.g. if my chapter is Jer 4, word count =  the number of times that word occurs in Jer 4.

Is there  a way to produce a vocabulary list for a particular chapter (or range of verses) with a word count that reflects the number of times the word occurs in the whole Hebrew Bible rather than just that particular range?

Hi Charles! I think your key is to take your search results, and open a new Hebrew tab with the command [HITS Tab1], where tab1 is the name of your first set of results.  This will take each word you searched for in the first tab, but find it within the entire text.  If you do your Analysis on this second tab, it should give you the results you seek.

I hope this helps!

There may be an easier way of doing this but one way is to do the following:

1. Search your range as currently against a chapter in the Hebrew Bible

2. Open another pane with the Hebrew Bible

3. Enter the HITS command referencing your original search pane

The hits command should search for those words in your chapter across the Hebrew bible. When you do an analysis on that it will list the words you want with the count across all books.

post-30494-0-21341100-1532350875_thumb.png

Joel beat me to it!

Edited by Steve King
  • Like 1

Thanks to both of you! This gives me the result I’m looking for.

One more question.

It is possible to export the result of the Analysis tab as comma or tab delimited? If I cut and paste the Analysis result into Excel, the English gloss and the word count are in the same cell. This is because they are separated by an equal sign. It is possible to get these fields separated by commas or tabs so I can get the word count in a separate column?  That will allow me to do more with the data.

The way I would do it is to paste it into Word then replace the = with a tab character. Just to make sure you were only changing the = I would change the space either side as well.

So in the find box put ' = ' and in the replace box put ' ^t ' (ignoring the inverted commas). ^t is the tab character representation.

Then copy from Word into Excel.

There will be some words that have the count appearing in different columns because of the formatting of the analysis. To make that easier to deal with it may be worth changing to two tabs

e.g. ' ^t^t '.

After a bit of formatting you would end up with something like this if you used the two tabs

post-30494-0-47389600-1532360090_thumb.png

Edited by Steve King

Thanks Steve. That did the trick. :)