Searching Placenames in Sacred Bridge

A.D. Riddle

I was recently trying to search for Tell edh-Dhurur in Sacred Bridge, and it proved to be a little trickier than I expected. First, Sacred Bridge is inconsistent in how it transliterates the Arabic, spelling it Tell eḍ-Ḍurûr in one place and Tell edh-Dhurûr in another. This meant I had to do two separate searches for the one name. This is something for the publisher to fix. Second, it took me a few failed attempts to figure out that to search for these two spellings, I have to attach the Arabic article to the front of the name, as in Edhdhurur and Eddurur. It would be very nice to have same way to find out what spelling I need to use when I want to search. An index fulfills this function in a printed book--a list I can quickly scan--but it would only work if the spelling is consistent. In this case, the print version of Sacred Bridge (1st edition) only lists one occurrence of Tell ed-Durur, and does not include Dhurur.

Does anyone have useful tips for searching placenames in Sacred Bridge?

A.D.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as useful but ...

First I didn't realise, though it makes sense that you cannot just do a Content search. You have to do a Transliteration search. But then I just did a wildcard based search on the word without the article (note I have no Arabic). Anyhow this search finds both hits without needing the article : "*durur*" <OR> "*dhurur*"

I'm not 100% sure the publisher can fix the differing translits either. One appears to be quoting another work.

Thx

D

The search function in Accordance doesn't handle dashes, apostrophes, etc. Thus when searching for a word that includes some form of separation punctuation, you need to remove it and run the word together (thus edh-dhurur becomes edhdhurur).

In order to view of list of all words in a specific field in a given resource (titles, content, Scripture, etc.), open the desired resource (in this case, Sacred Bridge). In the search field, select Transliteration from the search field menu.

post-14003-0-53962200-1532698578_thumb.png

Then, ctrl-click in the search entry field and select Enter Word… from the contextual menu.

post-14003-0-55179300-1532698586_thumb.png

A dialog will open that lists all transliterated words in the resource. You can then scroll through it or begin typing in the Go to: box to instantly jump to a given word.

post-14003-0-65782600-1532698592_thumb.png

This doesn't, of course, resolve entirely the issue you encountered, but it could help.

Edited by Sean R.
  • Like 2

Neither spelling is a direct citation from another work.

Sean, your method is the same way I eventually found what I needed. The other way was to search Content for "Zeror" which is the modern Hebrew spelling, and it pops up the contexts where I find Dhurur and Durur. (Just another oddity that I search for the Hebrew name under "Content" but the Arabic name under "Transliteration.")

A.D.

• Like 1