iPhone Application?

RSilber

Without a doubt Accordance is a powerful tool that aids my work each week. With all the rage about the iPhone and its ability to have 3rd party applications, does Accordance have any plans for such an application? Having just downloaded the iTunes 7.7, I see there's a couple of Bible apps, one of which is found here: http://www.biblexpress.com/Home.html

I realize this might be

1. A big undertaking
  2. Not in the vision of the Accordance team

Still, wouldn't it be great if such an application existed whereby we could sync a portion of notes and tools for portable reference?

Robert Silber

Apple have made it pretty clear that for now no synching is allowed between Macs and iPhone apps except for their own software. Third party iPhone apps are quite restricted in what they can do.

Presumably there is no restriction on a network based synch process, even if Apple aren't letting you synch through the USB cable process.

Apple have made it pretty clear that for now no synching is allowed between Macs and iPhone apps except for their own software. Third party iPhone apps are quite restricted in what they can do.

Now I just got an advertisement regarding a software package called Pocketpedia:

http://www.bruji.com/pocketpedia/

This is a package that syncs datebases from their suite of software (Bookpedia, DVDpedia, CDpedia), with an iPhone. It seems similar to what we're talking about here.

Is this real syncing?

Here is an interesting article related to syncing..

ebook syncing

specifically..

You would also need to code a means for getting the books onto the phone. While in theory this could be done using OS X or even Windows, according to our sources there are no syncing APIs for the iPhone. A developer would have to write their own from scratch if they wanted to allow for backups of their content for cases where a phone is lost or damaged

and

The second issue lies in within the iPhone SDK. According to a developer who wishes to remain anonymous, the APIs for laying out blocks of styled text are terrible (their language was a bit more colorful.) That means writing your own text layout from scratch if you wish to have more then basic control over these elements.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention - in case you've not seen it. The Splash Data products on the iPhone sync via WiFi with your desktop. I assume that they do this for security (ie your SplashID CC#'s, SSN#'s, etc do not go online ever...) The process with them works like this...

1) You buy the iPhone App for $10

2) If you already own the Desktop App for Palm, you upgrade it to the iPhone version, otherwise you buy the Desktop App

3) You configure your username and password on the iPhone and on the desktop

4) You launch both Apps while on the same WiFi Network and tell them to Sync

I'd assume that you could do a similar thing with Accordance. Have an iPhone App with the free modules available for minimal cost, but if you own Accordance then you have the option to sync purchased modules and notes with your desktop while on the same WiFi network. That way you don't need to buy your modules again from the App Store.

I know for me personally I'd love to have the Translations I like with me when I don't have Net access (like at church)...

Hi Jason,

I've actually been looking into these products for my personal use. They are using Bonjour networking over a local WiFi connection. It's an interesting approach but leaves out those users which don't have wireless networking on their computers. And as they state themselves, it was not trivial to implement.

Scott.

Hi Jason,

I've actually been looking into these products for my personal use. They are using Bonjour networking over a local WiFi connection. It's an interesting approach but leaves out those users which don't have wireless networking on their computers. And as they state themselves, it was not trivial to implement.

Scott.

True. So how about something similar to eBook Reader? They have an online store for purchasing eBooks. The Reader for the iPhone is a free download and you log into your account and it allows you to download any purchased books straight to the iPhone. Yes the infrastructure requirements would be greater for the Accordance folks so...

Not sure what the best solution is, but it is definitely possible in many different ways :-) (I just want the NAS, NIV and NLT on my Phone without needing to spend $$$ to buy them AGAIN!!!)

True. So how about something similar to eBook Reader? They have an online store for purchasing eBooks. The Reader for the iPhone is a free download and you log into your account and it allows you to download any purchased books straight to the iPhone. Yes the infrastructure requirements would be greater for the Accordance folks so...

Not sure what the best solution is, but it is definitely possible in many different ways :-) (I just want the NAS, NIV and NLT on my Phone without needing to spend $$$ to buy them AGAIN!!!)

Unless or until Apple introduces some other functionality into the iPhone SDK, this appears to be the only viable solution in my opinion.

Scott.

Archived