Choosing tabs by name

Steve Walton

May be mistaken, but I cannot find a way to select a tab by its name, and it would help me to do so—the standard workspace I use  for working on a commentary on Acts has over 40 tabs open, and it would be helpful to be able to select by names I've given to the tabs. Is there a way to do this already (other than cycling through tabs, which takes a long time with 40+ tables open!), or could this be a feature in an update, please?

• Like 1

Steve,

While our programmers consider your request, I'd like to suggest a work around. If many of your tabs are commentaries, why not use the Info Pane to access them?

When I am writing a commentary, I'll move my best reference resources to the top, so they appear first in the Info Pane. An option-click on a cover there opens a popup, where I can assess the value of the comments. If I want to read more, I click on it (which opens it in a parallel pane); I read it, then leave the pane open for the next one in the cycle. I then move on the the next commentary. If I click it, it will replace the previous commentary in the parallel pane, so the zone doesn't become too large. A Cmd/Ctrl-click opens a commentary in another zone, which I will sometimes do if I expect to be moving around in it (Sometimes I leave the zone tied to my main text, sometimes I untie it).

Just a thought.

40 tabs, Steve? You, sir, are an over-achiever.

I'm trying to imagine what a select-by-name interface would be. Would a window pop up with a list of tab names for you to select? I suspect 90% of the time tab names are neglected and so not helpful, as opposed to the rare time I set up an intentional worskspace with intentional tab names, as you have done.

You could pop into Slide Show mode (Opt-Cmd-S) and choose the tab you want from the list in the navigation bar pop-up menu. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1