#1 lexexel

lexexel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:03 PM

I want to get all the occurences of a specific number in the Bible. If I search "seven" in english or in hebrew, I'll get result like 720, 107, etc. To avoid this, I could use <NOT> with the tens and the hundreds. However, this is too much as it deletes the results in a list (10 horses, 7 cows, etc.)

Is there an (easy) way to search specific numbers?

#2 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,038 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

It depends upon the the text. In the ESV, for example, "seven" is only found as a word, not as the number "7." This is quite common in English, where the smaller numbers are typically written out. Simply type a "7" in the Search Entry box when it is set to words to see if it is found. Accordance will list all the numbers that begin with it.

I let someone more fluent in Hebrew than I answer to question for that language

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#3 lexexel

lexexel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

Thank you for your answer. It seems like an easy way to get it. However, the number "twelve" is also written sometimes "12" in ESV. They're not systematic. Moreover, the number "one" appears in all kind of expressions as "it's the one" which do not translate the word אחד in hebrew.

#4 lexexel

lexexel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

Is it possible to use <NOT> but with a smaller range than a verse (two words)? If it's the case I think I found how to find numbers.

#5 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

Search Scope should allow you to try this. I quick test in the GNT says that this should work if you set the search Scope to something like either Clause or Sentence.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: searching, numbers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users