App forgets location when opened to a specific text

jlm

I'm having trouble with Accordance forgetting where I was in the Bible. I've worked out steps to reproduce this with the widget, but I think something similar is happening in other cases as well.

Example:

1. Initially the app is at Luke 1:74, with ESVS on the upper half of the screen, and NA28 on the lower half. The history is empty (forward and back buttons at bottom of screen disabled).
  2. Close NA28 parallel.
  3. Use TOC button to navigate to John 1:1 (back button at the bottom of the screen now active: back goes to Luke 1:74, forward returns to John 1:1).
  4. Close app with Home button.
  5. Using the "Bible Study with Accordance" widget, select ESVS. This opens the app as it was at step 1. It has forgotten that I closed the NA28, and has forgotten that I navigated to John 1:1. The history is empty as it was in step 1.

Another example:

1. Initially the app is at John 1:1, with only ESVS displayed (no parallel). The history is empty.
  2. Tap the search button and type "Psalm 1". The Psalm is displayed.
  3. Tap the read button. As expected, this begins reading at Psalm 1:1.
  4. The back button at the bottom of the screen is now active, but it doesn't go to John 1:1 as expected. Instead it goes to Genesis 1:1. From there, the forward button returns to Psalm 1:1.
  5. Search again, this time for "Luke 1:1". It is displayed.
  6. Tap the read button. As expected, this begins reading at Luke 1:1.
  7. The back button at the bottom of the screen is active, but it doesn't go to Psalm 1:1 as expected. Instead it goes to Genesis 1:1. From there, the forward button returns to Luke 1:1.

In short, searching for a verse and beginning to read there loses the contents of the history (whether it contained 1 or 2 locations) and places Genesis 1:1 in the history.

Version 2.7.1, Build 2.7.0.10047, iOS 11.4.1.

• 3 weeks later...

jlm, thanks for the reports.

For the first case, I agree that the state of the parallel pane should be saved when reopening the app.  I'll also investigate how feasible it is to save the navigation history.

For the second case, this is a bit more tricky.  The back and forward buttons follow the desktop Accordance's logic, where they are cleaned out every time a new search is performed.  There is a bug where they then aren't cleaned out when hitting the read button, so this will be fixed shortly.  However, it still won't give you the full history between searches.  Remember, if you just want to jump around, use the Goto button and the back/forward buttons should work just fine.  If you want to go to prior searches, use the Search History button, to the left of the search entry box.